Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred the red

The way i see it the big clubs in the premier league are the so called big 4. Everyone else is a small club!

Farrandeelin

I wouldn't even give mancity a capital letter.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 28, 2009, 03:49:01 PM
Everton have won trophies in recent memory and don't spend ALL their time talking about their cross city rivals.

I don't believe the same obsession with Liverpool exists either.

You've obviously never been to Liverpool seanie. They are not called the Bitters for nothing. ;D

corn02

I'd also like to point out any comparisons between this and the so-called "Rafa rant" are laughable. Completely different.

Noone is comparing it to the 'rant' as you call it.

They are comparing it to when Benitez supposedly called Everton a small club, he actually sais "when small teams come to Anfield" so much a muchness, and the fact Ferguson took so much issue with this and disrespect to another club and, in hypocritical fashion, did the same.

corn02

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 28, 2009, 03:54:38 PM
Everton have won trophies in recent memory and don't spend ALL their time talking about their cross city rivals.

You've obviously never been to Liverpool seanie. They are not called the Bitters for nothing. ;D

Indeed. From releasing a DVD of a victory over us a few years back to making an issue that their club shop was on L4 while the Pool's was on L1 - 4-1- get it? They are bitter as they come.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: corn02 on July 28, 2009, 03:58:25 PM
I'd also like to point out any comparisons between this and the so-called "Rafa rant" are laughable. Completely different.

Noone is comparing it to the 'rant' as you call it.

They are comparing it to when Benitez supposedly called Everton a small club, he actually sais "when small teams come" so much a muchness, and the fact Ferguson took so much issue with this and disrespect to another club and, in hypocritical fashion, did the same.

Personally I would see Everton and Man City as clubs of roughly a similiar size and stature. Medium sized clubs not quite up there with your United's, Liverpool's or Arsenal's but in a group alongside clubs like Spurs and Aston Villa. Clubs with a good sized support base who win the odd trophy. Granted City have probably won a bit less than the others in recent years but traditionally they've always been a relatively big name.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: corn02 on July 28, 2009, 03:59:41 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 28, 2009, 03:54:38 PM

Indeed. From releasing a DVD of a victory over us a few years back to making an issue that their club shop was on L4 while the Pool's was on L1 - 4-1- get it? They are bitter as they come.

Or dubbing themselves as the self-styled "People's club".

Norf Tyrone

FFS Listen to you all. Big club, medium club. Does it matter. To me Chelsea are the biggest club in the world regardless of what they've won, or how long it is. Is there a timeframe? How long do you have to go without winning something for your size to shrink? A year, two years, 20 years. People keep telling me Chelsea are now one of the big four. Funny there were always the big one to me.

Every club is a big club to those who support it.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Doogie Browser

Hargreaves will do well to return ever again which is sad, he is a class act and we never really got to see him at his best in the PL. 
There is a young player at M'boro - Matthew Bates - and he is going for his fourth cruciate op.

corn02

I feel sorry for Heargreaves, it's just not happening at all and an early retirment is near certain now.

Hound

The argument can be made that Ferguson is hypocritical here but some key differences exist between Everton and Man City....
Jaysus Crist, Seanie   :o   ;D

EC Unique

Pre-season seems to be going well with plenty of goals being scored. Even Anderson got one!! Final with Munich today. Will be interesting to see what team Fergie puts out. As far as I know Owen and Rooney have yet to play together up front. Maybe tonight? Antonio Valencia scored in his first game so signs are not bad! Brown picked up bit of a knock yesterday but nothing serious apparently.

EC Unique

Sir Alex Ferguson says he will adapt United's tactics this season, identifying a need to readjust the team's approach in order to produce the goals that the departed Cristiano Ronaldo provided.

"Obviously Cristiano is a big loss in terms of the goals he gave us," said the gaffer in the new issue of Inside United (on sale 5 August). "But we'll just have to find the goals from somewhere else, and our tactics will adjust accordingly. Fans will see us playing a slightly different style of football this season."

Rather than ask Wayne Rooney to operate out wide, Sir Alex intends to play him up top alongside Michael Owen or Dimitar Berbatov, who the boss sees as being a key player this term.

"Last season was a strange one for Dimitar and we maybe didn't use him in the right way, but we know exactly how to use him now – further up the pitch, playing as a centre forward," said Sir Alex. "He's had a first season to settle in, he can get us more than 20 goals."

Whatever the formation United adopt for any given match, according to Ryan Giggs the players have the versatility to adapt.

"The team has adapted well to whatever system we've played, whether it's 4-4-2 or three in midfield," he says. "We've got that flexibility in the squad. With Antonio Valencia coming in, it might be a bit more of a rigid 4-4-2 system, but we'll have to see."

The gaffer has emphasised the need for United to collectively step up to the goalscoring plate this season as well. The boss has set some demanding team and individual goal targets, challenging his men to reach the magic three figures.

"Usually you look to score about 100 goals in all competitions, so we're aiming for that again," Sir Alex said. "If we're going to win the league again or do well in Europe we certainly need players to step up and help fill [the gap left by Ronaldo].

"Wayne's capable of scoring 18 or more, and if Michael plays 25 games for me next season, I think he'll get 15 goals."

Beyond the three main strikers, Sir Alex demands an increased yield from the midfield, plus a contribution from the youngsters.

"Going back a few years, we could always guarantee goals from Paul Scholes, Ryan Giggs and David Beckham, who always pitched in with about 10 a season. Those goals from midfield have dried up a little in recent years, so we have to address that," he said.

"I'll be looking to Park, Nani, Valencia – even Welbeck and Macheda – to contribute 40 goals between them. The defenders will contribute a few from set-pieces too."

Barney

I worry about United this year. The Ronaldo/Tevez loss is massive and finding that 40 goals will not be straightforward.

I also believe that centre midfield got away with a lot last year - that may improve with somebody working where Ronaldo did not but the likes of Park and Nani are average plalyers.

City have bought Premiership experience and have a good manager and will challenge the top four. Depending on who Arsenal buy they will get big results. Liverpool will have to replace Alonso, but a fully fit Torres will improve them. Chelsea are ageing but capable. The big thing this Summer is that English teams are buying average players from within their own pool - no superstars coming along to push teams to a new level. Whichever of Liverpool, United or Chelsea make that big signing could win the thing.

A close title race between the three but if United really struggle they could be battling City and Arsenal for third, and could possibly, although unlikely end fifth. I think the big teams will not steam roll the small teams to the same extent and that 80 points (as around the time the Premier League was set up could win the League).