Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goats Do Shave

UTD were woefull. Passing not upto scratch, which applies pressure, UTD aren't used to!

To be fair Porto were excellent! - Bar a couple of defensive wobbles!

Shrek

Quote from: Hound on April 08, 2009, 07:51:19 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on April 07, 2009, 10:39:06 PM
Terrible performance and almost sneaked a win only to take the foot off the pedal and pay for it. Most teams would have been so sickened by Tevez' goal they wouldn't have had in in them to attack but credit to Porto and they got the least they deserved.

The problems started with picking the team. Disgraceful to only play one up front at home. At least he'll have to play two up in thsecond leg and forget his over thinking things in Europe shite. Ronaldo's attitude is a disgrace. Evans was terrible - looked scared shitless. Scholes is completely past it and has been for ages. The main problem is as Hound has correctly pointed out - United's midfield is terrible. Have got away with it most of the season due to a great back 4 and 'keeper but they can't be expected to perform heroics all the time. With these problems, all the more reason to play Tevez. After he scored he was back defending on the end line in the next passage of play. That urgency, drive to win, is missing from a lot of United's players at present and its a worry. Things have turned round from worse than this before but it would want to happen soon. I don't think Ferguson has a clue how to fix it either. On this form its hard to see United going through but when you have Rooney and Tevez anything is possible.

One other thing - criticism of Neville for the last goal is entirely incorrect. He had to go to he closest man. I think a midfielder (Fletcher) let that guy walk in unopposed. If O'Shea didn't flick the ball Nevs would have made a great clearance.
I wouldnt blame Ferguson for the starting XI too much. Tevez wasnt good against Villa so I don't think 2 games in 3 days after his long trip away was a runner. Though he was great in his cameo yesterday. I was kinda hoping he'd give that Freddie chap another go.

As for the equaliser, you're right in saying Neville was the least to blame of the defenders. They did a good analysis of it on RTE. Evra was the main culprit, the ball was passed by him and instead of running back, in which case he could easily have put a challenge in, he just slowly jogged back. You'd have to see it to make your own mind up, but I thought the lack of effort was actually disgraceful (I'm still shocked that Evra could be like that). Carrick was tracking back and Vidic came over to the left back slot to cover, but instead of trying to put a tackle or block in they both then held back for some reason and let the cross come in. Vidic leaving his man to go out left meant there were 3 Porto and 2 ManU players in the box, so I don't think O'Shea or Neville could do much more. O'Shea's glance was a lucky break for Porto, VDS was out like a shot but the chap finished well.

this happened a few times during the game, and on at least one other occassion nearly resulted in a goal. 

i aws shouting at the TV for him to chase back not only on that occasion but on others.

full back

Quote from: Shrek on April 08, 2009, 08:54:03 AM
Quote from: Hound on April 08, 2009, 07:51:19 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on April 07, 2009, 10:39:06 PM
Terrible performance and almost sneaked a win only to take the foot off the pedal and pay for it. Most teams would have been so sickened by Tevez' goal they wouldn't have had in in them to attack but credit to Porto and they got the least they deserved.

The problems started with picking the team. Disgraceful to only play one up front at home. At least he'll have to play two up in thsecond leg and forget his over thinking things in Europe shite. Ronaldo's attitude is a disgrace. Evans was terrible - looked scared shitless. Scholes is completely past it and has been for ages. The main problem is as Hound has correctly pointed out - United's midfield is terrible. Have got away with it most of the season due to a great back 4 and 'keeper but they can't be expected to perform heroics all the time. With these problems, all the more reason to play Tevez. After he scored he was back defending on the end line in the next passage of play. That urgency, drive to win, is missing from a lot of United's players at present and its a worry. Things have turned round from worse than this before but it would want to happen soon. I don't think Ferguson has a clue how to fix it either. On this form its hard to see United going through but when you have Rooney and Tevez anything is possible.

One other thing - criticism of Neville for the last goal is entirely incorrect. He had to go to he closest man. I think a midfielder (Fletcher) let that guy walk in unopposed. If O'Shea didn't flick the ball Nevs would have made a great clearance.
I wouldnt blame Ferguson for the starting XI too much. Tevez wasnt good against Villa so I don't think 2 games in 3 days after his long trip away was a runner. Though he was great in his cameo yesterday. I was kinda hoping he'd give that Freddie chap another go.

As for the equaliser, you're right in saying Neville was the least to blame of the defenders. They did a good analysis of it on RTE. Evra was the main culprit, the ball was passed by him and instead of running back, in which case he could easily have put a challenge in, he just slowly jogged back. You'd have to see it to make your own mind up, but I thought the lack of effort was actually disgraceful (I'm still shocked that Evra could be like that). Carrick was tracking back and Vidic came over to the left back slot to cover, but instead of trying to put a tackle or block in they both then held back for some reason and let the cross come in. Vidic leaving his man to go out left meant there were 3 Porto and 2 ManU players in the box, so I don't think O'Shea or Neville could do much more. O'Shea's glance was a lucky break for Porto, VDS was out like a shot but the chap finished well.

this happened a few times during the game, and on at least one other occassion nearly resulted in a goal. 

i aws shouting at the TV for him to chase back not only on that occasion but on others.

This was around the 70th minute. VDS made a good save from a deflected shot on this occasion. Evans chewed the balls of Evra & rightly so

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

mrsandman

Quote from: Minder on April 08, 2009, 09:19:35 AM
I like this lads style

Very good Minder...
You have little to do with your time i see.

On another note, settle down lads, we're top of the league with a game in hand, we Drew with an excellent porto on the night, didnt get beat. And we're still in the FA Cup. Its not crisis time nor nowhere near it, give me that situation at the start of the season and id bite your hand off for it.
Constipated People Don't Give A crap.

EC Unique

Mrsandman, the 'situation' you descride is indeed good reading but I am afraid the playing form is not. If the form does not change very quickly we will be lucky to win any of the compitetions that we are fighting for. At this stage PL is by far the most important. Sunderland should be 3 points but going on the last few weeks who knows?

mrsandman

Quote from: EC Unique on April 08, 2009, 09:53:12 AM
Mrsandman, the 'situation' you descride is indeed good reading but I am afraid the playing form is not. If the form does not change very quickly we will be lucky to win any of the compitetions that we are fighting for. At this stage PL is by far the most important. Sunderland should be 3 points but going on the last few weeks who knows?

Agreed, but you have to be in them to win them. They way we played against Villa in the last half hour was promising and although defensively we look shaky, i think with a bit of tightning up we should be fine. With a few good results form changes very quickly.

EC Unique

Anyone know how far away Berbatrov is? If we have him and Rio available for next Wednesday night I think we have a good chance of going through as long as Fergie does a bit of 'hair drying' at the Midfield and defence.

full back

Quote from: EC Unique on April 08, 2009, 10:05:51 AM
Anyone know how far away Berbatrov is?

Not far enough IMHO

Wouldnt start him even if fit next week
Would start with Rooney & Tevez up front
With Ronaldo being lazier than usual last night, I dont think we can carry Berbatov as well against a very energetic & attacking minded Porto team

mrsandman

Anyone know how far away Berbatrov is? If we have him and Rio available for next Wednesday night I think we have a good chance of going through as long as Fergie does a bit of 'hair drying' at the Midfield and defence.

I think he'll be available for saturday, although Fergie admitted Evans misses this saturdays game. Ferdinand is needed, need a bit of a cool head along with Vidic, evans was missed when he went off. Hairdryer is definitely needed. A start for Macheda could be in line..

magpie seanie

Quote from: mrsandman on April 08, 2009, 10:14:42 AM

I think he'll be available for saturday, although Fergie admitted Evans misses this saturdays game. Ferdinand is needed, need a bit of a cool head along with Vidic, evans was missed when he went off. Hairdryer is definitely needed. A start for Macheda could be in line..

I thought Evans was rubbish last night and has been poor for a few weeks.

Keyser soze

It's a bit rich to see numerous comments condemning the media for overhyping teams or being overcritical, and then to read comments - when 2 games are lost [plus a squeaky bum win and a squeaky bum draw] - which absolutely lambast players who the same posters were fawning over a few weeks back.

Then to ratchet up the parody value a few notches further, posters come on to criticise one of the most successful managers in the modern game for his team selection.

Perhaps a little more balance would be in order, you make the tabloids seem like a model of decorum.

'Dunphy wept'

mrsandman

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 08, 2009, 10:21:01 AM
Quote from: mrsandman on April 08, 2009, 10:14:42 AM

I thought Evans was rubbish last night and has been poor for a few weeks.

Well if you watch the games you'd see different, hes been a revelation all season. Vidic on the other hand has had a dip in form..and discipline.

The GAA

You can't blame neville for the goal - he had to tuck in.

evans was very poor i thought - he has an infuriating habit of backing off into his own box when being run at.

CRonaldo continued his poor attitude of the last 2 months. gone in the summer.

Fergie is gonna have to take a gamble on a weakened team on saturday against sunderland because he now needs a full strength and firing team in porto next wednesday. i don't think they'll go through.

mrsandman

Quote from: The GAA on April 08, 2009, 10:47:59 AM

You can't blame neville for the goal - he had to tuck in.

evans was very poor i thought - he has an infuriating habit of backing off into his own box when being run at.

CRonaldo continued his poor attitude of the last 2 months. gone in the summer.

Fergie is gonna have to take a gamble on a weakened team on saturday against sunderland because he now needs a full strength and firing team in porto next wednesday. i don't think they'll go through.

Ronaldos staying, too many boys on his back, he still does what he does well..score important goals namely 2 against Villa. Hes not a defender, nor a defensive midfielder, his sole purpose is attacking, setting up and scoring goals, and as long as he continues that he is of benefit. Get off his back, hes streaks ahead of any other winger we have.