Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Shocked that Martial continues to start ahead of Cavani.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

michaelg

Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 18, 2021, 09:32:47 AM
Disappointed with the performance of our attacking players, the game was there to be won. So many times in that first half Rashford would have been away through on goal if he'd have timed his run better but the one time he did time it perfectly the ball from Pogba wasn't good enough. McTominay & Fred had better 2nd halfs but had to be braver on the ball during the 1st half.

Shaw again excellent, since Telles came in he's been superb; Based on what we'd seen since he signed I didn't think he had these levels of performances in him.

I think United lacked a bit of belief yesterday although it could be argued they just couldn't keep the ball well enough during that 1st half but it does show how far United have come in the last 12 months that we're in this position.

As for Thiago I have no idea how he wasn't booked, every single foul was a tactical one to stop United on the counter which would normally result in a booking, apparently he made 5 of these yesterday and avoided a booking. It was really poor from the ref and not picked up from any of the pundits.
Tbf, Shaw gave it away most times he had it.  Wasn't convinced with Neville and commentataror's view that he had a tremendous game.

NAG1

Defensively Shaw was outstanding, don't think Salah will be looking back at that game any time soon.

Offensively he lacks that real quality, but he was still bombing forward and trying to create something, his burst for the Bruno freekick a good example.

Just seemed to lack the real cutting edge to go for the jugular.

I'd be happy to play the kids in the Europa League any way, tough draw first time out any way.

Maroon Manc

Could see why yesterday given how high up the pitch Liverpool play but his from is worrying.

Shaw is improving going forward, it was his cross for Maguire's disallowed goal and also for Fernandes chance yesterday. He has good dribbling ability so would like to see more of it, Fred and McTominay been braver on the ball in these types of games will help Shaw too.

Fred, Bailly, Shaw & Lindelof have been hammered by fans so Ole deserves plenty of credit for the way he's managing to get performances out of them, whether United will win a league under Ole I don't know and still have a few doubts but he deserves more credit then he's getting for the way he's managed to turn it round so far, there's still a long way to go but United certainly don't look as brittle as they did. Since Fernandes came in United have 69 points from 32 league games whilst it was 42 from the previous 32 league games; Thats some improvement.

Boycey

Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 18, 2021, 11:40:48 AM
Could see why yesterday given how high up the pitch Liverpool play but his from is worrying.

Shaw is improving going forward, it was his cross for Maguire's disallowed goal and also for Fernandes chance yesterday. He has good dribbling ability so would like to see more of it, Fred and McTominay been braver on the ball in these types of games will help Shaw too.

Fred, Bailly, Shaw & Lindelof have been hammered by fans so Ole deserves plenty of credit for the way he's managing to get performances out of them, whether United will win a league under Ole I don't know and still have a few doubts but he deserves more credit then he's getting for the way he's managed to turn it round so far, there's still a long way to go but United certainly don't look as brittle as they did. Since Fernandes came in United have 69 points from 32 league games whilst it was 42 from the previous 32 league games; Thats some improvement.

I saw on twitter somewhere that in the corresponding game last season (almost exactly 12 months to the day) Liverpool easily beat United to go 30 points ahead of them so its a bit surreal today to be seeing moans about not beating Liverpool yesterday.  Like yourself I'm not entirely convinced Ole is the elite coach to go the final step to winning a league but if not whoever might replace him will find a club in a lot ruder health than recently.

As Bertie once said a lot done, more to do......

GJL

I could be wrong but I think I read that since he came in a year ago Utd have scored more points than any other team in the league?

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Boycey on January 18, 2021, 12:38:14 PM

I saw on twitter somewhere that in the corresponding game last season (almost exactly 12 months to the day) Liverpool easily beat United to go 30 points ahead of them so its a bit surreal today to be seeing moans about not beating Liverpool yesterday.  Like yourself I'm not entirely convinced Ole is the elite coach to go the final step to winning a league but if not whoever might replace him will find a club in a lot ruder health than recently.

As Bertie once said a lot done, more to do......

We'll know a bit more about Ole come the end of the season, think the next step is for United to take more chances against better opposition and think that is going to be difficult with Lindelof at centre half; Like most reds I want to see Bailly partner Maguire. None of Arsenal, Chelsea, City & Spurs will not come out and take many chances against United so Ole is going to have to come up with something different to beat them and will certainly have to assert themselves more.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: GJL on January 18, 2021, 01:02:16 PM

I could be wrong but I think I read that since he came in a year ago Utd have scored more points than any other team in the league?

I know United have a good few more points then Liverpool since Fernandes came in, think they might have a few more points then City but United might have played a game more.

rodney trotter

Bruno Fernandes has made an excellent contribution. Though i saw his stats yesterday against the top 6 teams and they aren't good. He needs to do more against the better teams. He was low key against City in the Cup Semi final

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 18, 2021, 02:50:25 PM
Bruno Fernandes has made an excellent contribution. Though i saw his stats yesterday against the top 6 teams and they aren't good. He needs to do more against the better teams. He was low key against City in the Cup Semi final
He was exactly what United needed against lesser teams. Before his arrival teams could sit back and Utd hadn't got the creativity to break them down.
In the bigger games where possession is harder to come by he may need to temper his 'high risk-high reward' instincts and play in a more controlled manner.

TabClear

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on January 18, 2021, 03:56:53 PM
He was exactly what United needed against lesser teams. Before his arrival teams could sit back and Utd hadn't got the creativity to break them down.
In the bigger games where possession is harder to come by he may need to temper his 'high risk-high reward' instincts and play in a more controlled manner.

Funny I was thinking that yesterday with both him and Pogba. Obviously Fernandes's stats and performances since he arrived speak for themselves but there were a few balls both tried yesterday that were 1 in 20 "Hollywood" balls. Reminded me of Gerrard in his younger days when he was trying to do everything. I have not watched enough of United this year to know if it was a deliberate tactic yesterday to try and get in behind Liverpool's high line or if that is the norm. As you say, against the weaker teams United will probably turn the ball over again quite quickly but against better teams it can be a problem if you ae constantly giving away possession.

nrico2006

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on January 18, 2021, 03:56:53 PM

Exactly.  Uniteds problem at frequent times over the past few years has been their inability to win against the weaker sides.  There have been frequent good results against the big teams but the constant losses and draws to the weaker sides were the main issue.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Cunny Funt

Are those the same stats where two of this seasons top 6 Leicester and Everton was conveniently left out? 

NAG1

What way are we reading the next two games then?

Any chance of some rotation against Fulham or will he leave that to the cup game?

Id like to see him start to use DVB more, the form that Rashford & Martial have been in for past few weeks him coming in fresh is bound to add something to the team.

Boycey

There'll be some rotation for both I'd say but of the two matches obviously Fulham is the higher priority so a stronger team in it more likely. It's worth remembering there are league matches next midweek too ...

Fulham aren't to be underestimated either they have held both Spurs and Liverpool lately and it took a late goal from Chelsea to beat them at the weekend despite Fulham playing more than half the game with 10 men..