Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyser soze

Quote from: Minder on December 18, 2017, 11:41:25 AM
Quote from: Keyser soze on December 18, 2017, 11:38:48 AM
Quote from: gallsman on December 18, 2017, 11:30:21 AM
Quote from: Keyser soze on December 18, 2017, 10:57:07 AM
Man city are on an incredible run but people, including plenty who should know better, are getting completely carried away with themselves, handing out league titles in December, talking about invincibles, proclaiming them as the greatest team ever. A wee bit of perspective needed.

Utd have had a more than decent start to the season, only City's record breaking run is making them look shabby atm.

United are doing rightly, yes, but the league is over.

You state this with absolute certainty, what odds would you give that city won't win the league?

Well City are 1/33 to win it so if you think they won't you could make some serious money

No you fool, you are completely missing the point as well as misreading what I posted.

I happen to think they will win the league but that doesn't make me want to proclaim that the league is already over and anyone who does so is a spoofer.

The people who stand to make a fortune are those like Gallsman who can state with absolute certainty that the league is over. I am sure he is liquidating his assets as we speak to make a surefire killing.

Boycey

The league is over pal..

yellowcard

results have been good this season from Utd, no doubting that. What concerns me most is the style of football and the fact that the traditional attacking football of the club has been discarded in favour of a pragmatic safety first low risk game. Man City are over hyped but I do think that if we simply swap managers then it could easily be Utd sitting at the top of the table playing the all out attacking football. Mourinho was never a Utd manager and the only way he will ever justify his methods is by winning PL/CL titles.   

Milltown Row2

Quote from: yellowcard on December 18, 2017, 01:37:00 PM
results have been good this season from Utd, no doubting that. What concerns me most is the style of football and the fact that the traditional attacking football of the club has been discarded in favour of a pragmatic safety first low risk game. Man City are over hyped but I do think that if we simply swap managers then it could easily be Utd sitting at the top of the table playing the all out attacking football. Mourinho was never a Utd manager and the only way he will ever justify his methods is by winning PL/CL titles.

Utd only play that type of defensive game against the top six, other than that they've far better goal difference than some teams who play this so called free flowing exciting football ... to use one team, they were 7 goals and points worse off  their points + g/d tally of this time last season
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

magpie seanie

I remember United being 12 points behind a really swashbuckling team in the New Year one time and people saying they'd never catch them. They did. it's hard to say that could happen this season but the league is definitely not over yet. One or two injuries could have a huge impact.

Bournemouth and West Brom must have joined the top 6 recently....

Milltown Row2

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 18, 2017, 02:40:07 PM
I remember United being 12 points behind a really swashbuckling team in the New Year one time and people saying they'd never catch them. They did. it's hard to say that could happen this season but the league is definitely not over yet. One or two injuries could have a huge impact.

Bournemouth and West Brom must have joined the top 6 recently....

winning handy in both games, late on those teams got goals, pressure on to hold on, it happens
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

magpie seanie

Suppose it was amazing to win that Bournemouth game 1-0 with them scoring and all.  ;D

Liverpool thumped them 4-0.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 18, 2017, 03:32:05 PM
Suppose it was amazing to win that Bournemouth game 1-0 with them scoring and all.  ;D

Liverpool thumped them 4-0.

Thumped them one nil! Utd 7 points clear i think of Liverpool with 9 or ten better off scoring difference than the rest of the teams in the top six! but you'd much prefer to be a Liverpool supporter?

Cunny Funt

The league is over because Man City in current form are on the verge of getting 100 points, they will hit a sticky patch and still finish the season without about 90 points. Man United at best will finish the season with about 85 points.

Newcastle were caught in 1996 because they peaked too soon and were poor defensively.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Cunny Funt on December 18, 2017, 04:28:44 PM
The league is over because Man City in current form are on the verge of getting 100 points, they will hit a sticky patch and still finish the season without about 90 points. Man United at best will finish the season with about 85 points.

Newcastle were caught in 1996 because they peaked too soon and were poor defensively.

To be fair, City are actually on pace to score more than 100 points. I just think they will not sustain that because history tells us that no one has. In 1985/86 we remember people were handing the league to United after 10 games (10 points clear after winning all 10 if I'm right).

The most likely thing is that City get over 90 points and win the title comfortably, that's clear. It's far from over though.

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 19, 2017, 09:10:08 AM

To be fair, City are actually on pace to score more than 100 points. I just think they will not sustain that because history tells us that no one has. In 1985/86 we remember people were handing the league to United after 10 games (10 points clear after winning all 10 if I'm right).

The most likely thing is that City get over 90 points and win the title comfortably, that's clear. It's far from over though.

God be with the days.

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 19, 2017, 09:23:58 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on December 19, 2017, 09:10:08 AM

God be with the days.

That was an excellent United team but they just couldn't cope with injuries and especially losing Robbo for long periods as started that season. Then the Hughes deal was done at Christmas (but not announced til later in the year) and unsettled him.....from almost being the messiah, Ron kinda proved he couldn't do it in a short space of time. Things got grim very quickly and he was gone by Nov '86.

Maroon Manc

Not great to watch without Pogba again, thankfully his suspension is over. United far too reliant on him, Herrera has gone backwards at a worrying rate, he's been useless this season.

If Mourinho can bring in a player next month I'm sure he will as Mikhytaryans days look numbered.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Maroon Manc on December 19, 2017, 10:36:12 AM
Not great to watch without Pogba again, thankfully his suspension is over. United far too reliant on him, Herrera has gone backwards at a worrying rate, he's been useless this season.

If Mourinho can bring in a player next month I'm sure he will as Mikhytaryans days look numbered.

Agree with all that. Really surprised and Herrera and Mkhitaryan's terrible regression this season. Hard to understand really.

I think people misinterpret my criticism of Pogba. There's no doubt he's a huge player and this team needs him to function....to a worryingly massive degree. He's such a tremendous athlete that he scares the bejaysus out of opponents. It's just the flaws in his game really irritate me as I think lesser players do things routinely that he's let get away with not doing. That's my gripe.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 19, 2017, 11:46:45 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on December 19, 2017, 10:36:12 AM

Agree with all that. Really surprised and Herrera and Mkhitaryan's terrible regression this season. Hard to understand really.

I think people misinterpret my criticism of Pogba. There's no doubt he's a huge player and this team needs him to function....to a worryingly massive degree. He's such a tremendous athlete that he scares the bejaysus out of opponents. It's just the flaws in his game really irritate me as I think lesser players do things routinely that he's let get away with not doing. That's my gripe.

I agree he can improve but think the criticism he gets from certain pundits is a way over the top, there's very midfielders with as much talent on the ball and even fewer who are as athletic as he is. If he sorts out the defensive side of his game he'll be up there with the likes of Robbo, Keane & Scholes as a true great. He's far more talented in possession than I expected.