Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: yellowcard on December 04, 2016, 11:46:12 PM
If he had brought success it could have been tolerated somewhat but it's hard to escape the feeling that he is yesterday's man. A truer gauge of this view is Chelsea's performances this season.
December 2014 just two years ago after fourteen games played Chelsea were top of the table with more points and goals scored than they currently have and were unbeaten, any idea who was managing Chelsea back then?

Aaron Boone

Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 05, 2016, 12:31:34 AM
If he had brought success it could have been tolerated somewhat but it's hard to escape the feeling that he is yesterday's man. A truer gauge of this view is Chelsea's performances this season.
December 2014 just two years ago after fourteen games played Chelsea were top of the table with more points and goals scored than they currently have and were unbeaten, any idea who was managing Chelsea back then?
John Hollins?

quit yo jibbajabba

Vialli?  I love quizzes I do

magpie seanie

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on December 05, 2016, 12:04:01 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on November 30, 2016, 11:53:54 AM

Refs are human beings and you need to know how to handle them...like Ferguson did.

Like badger, intimidate and undermine them at every occasion?

You mustn't have been paying attention. He almost always pulled back before he went too far. He was a master at getting the right amount of pressure/leverage on officials without getting suspended all the time.

magpie seanie

Deserved nothing more than a draw today, it was a mediocre performance and Everton weren't much better. Normally a point at Goodison would be perfectly acceptable but they were struggling for form and Utd can't afford to lose any more ground to those teams further up the table. I've never been a fan of Mourinho and I don't think he is a good fit for the club with all the histrionics, baggage, confrontational approach and attention seeking that he brings. If he had brought success it could have been tolerated somewhat but it's hard to escape the feeling that he is yesterday's man. A truer gauge of this view is Chelsea's performances this season. I do think Mourinho deserves time and patience now that he is in the job but I'd worry if he were to miss out on top 4 since you would have to think he will turn on something or somebody before the season is out before he would allow that to happen. Fellaini never was and never will be a Man Utd player and he is one of several players that needs gutting out asap.

Pretty good summation there. I was thinking towards the end an away win at Goodison with a sketchy performance would make up for one of those home draws. Then I saw the lampshade coming on and I got an awful feeling. 7 points lost in the last 10 minutes, worst in the league. It was a crazy decision to bring him on. The team is not built to absorb defensive pressure and Fellaini - he's a loose cannon.

Rojo likely to get a retrospective ban for a crazy challenge. Options limited already at the back. I don't think Ibrahimovic on Coleman was deliberate but certainly it was an awful battering he got.

NAG1

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 05, 2016, 09:30:29 AM
Deserved nothing more than a draw today, it was a mediocre performance and Everton weren't much better. Normally a point at Goodison would be perfectly acceptable but they were struggling for form and Utd can't afford to lose any more ground to those teams further up the table. I've never been a fan of Mourinho and I don't think he is a good fit for the club with all the histrionics, baggage, confrontational approach and attention seeking that he brings. If he had brought success it could have been tolerated somewhat but it's hard to escape the feeling that he is yesterday's man. A truer gauge of this view is Chelsea's performances this season. I do think Mourinho deserves time and patience now that he is in the job but I'd worry if he were to miss out on top 4 since you would have to think he will turn on something or somebody before the season is out before he would allow that to happen. Fellaini never was and never will be a Man Utd player and he is one of several players that needs gutting out asap.

Pretty good summation there. I was thinking towards the end an away win at Goodison with a sketchy performance would make up for one of those home draws. Then I saw the lampshade coming on and I got an awful feeling. 7 points lost in the last 10 minutes, worst in the league. It was a crazy decision to bring him on. The team is not built to absorb defensive pressure and Fellaini - he's a loose cannon.

Rojo likely to get a retrospective ban for a crazy challenge. Options limited already at the back. I don't think Ibrahimovic on Coleman was deliberate but certainly it was an awful battering he got.

Dont know what the issue was here, Coleman turned back into him and then dragged him down on top of him. It was a sore one but self inflicted.

Bringing on Fellaini made perfect sense for that last few minutes, the threat was all coming aerially and that is his forte and something he has been relatively good at. Defending set pieces and corners. Rash tackle but hardly JM's fault there.

Biggest problem at the minute is that the team is creating loads of chances but not finishing enough of them, how many times did the final pass not go that little yard one way to allow a forward through and clear.

The results have not been coming but the team are definitely better to watch.

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: NAG1 on December 05, 2016, 10:00:52 AM

Dont know what the issue was here, Coleman turned back into him and then dragged him down on top of him. It was a sore one but self inflicted.

Bringing on Fellaini made perfect sense for that last few minutes, the threat was all coming aerially and that is his forte and something he has been relatively good at. Defending set pieces and corners. Rash tackle but hardly JM's fault there.

Biggest problem at the minute is that the team is creating loads of chances but not finishing enough of them, how many times did the final pass not go that little yard one way to allow a forward through and clear.

I think Ibra definately kicked down on Colemans head with his heel after he intially landed on him. In my eyes it was intentional.

NAG1

Quote from: Two Hands FFS on December 05, 2016, 10:44:37 AM

I think Ibra definately kicked down on Colemans head with his heel after he intially landed on him. In my eyes it was intentional.

I don't think it was intentional but that's just my opinion.

Boycey

The Zlatan one is hard enough to call, at slow speed it looks damning but at full speed it looks to me like hes trying to get himself up but the laws of gravity take over.

I don't think Rojo can get a retrospective ban as the ref saw it and booked him, they can only ban someone if the ref hasn't seen the original incident. Although with the FA you never can tell..

Megaman

Are you serious, did you watch yesterdays game at all.

IMHO Ibra's kick was totally deliberate, albeit not very hard.

what chances did they create yesterday, very, very little

they where awful yesterday and especially for the last 20 mins, could string one pass together or hold onto the ball. Utd sat back far too much and when fellani came on it made it worse, Lindgard or mata should have been brought on to help counter-attack

i actually dont get this fellani being good in the air, i find for someone so tall he is poor in the air.

it wasnt totally JMs fault but putting a player as carp as Fellani on is asking for trouble.

NAG1

Quote from: Megaman on December 05, 2016, 12:18:56 PM

they where awful yesterday and especially for the last 20 mins, could string one pass together or hold onto the ball. Utd sat back far too much and when fellani came on it made it worse, Lindgard or mata should have been brought on to help counter-attack

i actually dont get this fellani being good in the air, i find for someone so tall he is poor in the air.

it wasnt totally JMs fault but putting a player as carp as Fellani on is asking for trouble.

MM I seriously dont know what game you watched, apart from the first 5/10mins United dominated the ball. Carrick was constantly on the ball, yes maybe too far back in the pitch but that is because Everton sat in and didnt want to concede. My reference was not to clear cut chances it was more, that with a bit more care with the final ball Miki could have been IN numerous times. Martial also had a couple of chances that if his confidence was up he would have been looking to finish, add in Herrera hitting the post/ bar and they could should have been 2 if not more up.

Not a stellar performance 3 by any stretch but dont get the doom and gloom about it either.

Armamike

Quote from: under the bar on December 04, 2016, 07:04:39 PM
Bringing Fellaini on see out a 1-0 lead was a poor decision.  He's as likely to concede a free as make an interception.  Jose has to look at himself firstly when criticism of dropping points is being dished out.

One crumb of comfort today was the look on Jamie never-won-the-league's face when Liverpool filled the bags again. Priceless.

Indeed.  Throwing away that lead only leaves Liverpool 9 points ahead of Manu instead of 12.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Maroon Manc

Another very frustrating game, we just about shaded the first half and had the better of the 2nd half until about 65 mins and thought at the time we'd regret not getting the 2nd goal. Fellaini came on because of his height and the anticipated aerial bombardment that was about to come, I can't stand Fellaini but felt it made sense given some of the goals we've conceded recently and that both our centre halves aren't that tall. We were poor the last 20 minutes and thought Jose should have changed it earlier but when you've a lead to protect and the other team aren't looking that dangerous there's always the temptation to protect what you've got.

Refs have been dreadful this season, how he didn't send Rojo given how obvious it was and Barry should have seen red in the first half too; As for Zlatan I didn't think there was much in it and doubt he'll be punished for it.

Its hard to believe how many points we've dropped, its not as if we're playing poorly like we have done for the last 3 years; We're creating more chances than our opponents and its not like De Gea is been overworked. Top 4 is well and truly gone unless we went on a run winning 8 game in a row or someone above us has a total collapse and both are unlikely. There is certainly a nervousness about us approaching the end of games, hopefully once we see out a couple of close matches that will disappear.

screenexile

Quote from: NAG1 on December 05, 2016, 12:27:18 PM
Quote from: Megaman on December 05, 2016, 12:18:56 PM

MM I seriously dont know what game you watched, apart from the first 5/10mins United dominated the ball. Carrick was constantly on the ball, yes maybe too far back in the pitch but that is because Everton sat in and didnt want to concede. My reference was not to clear cut chances it was more, that with a bit more care with the final ball Miki could have been IN numerous times. Martial also had a couple of chances that if his confidence was up he would have been looking to finish, add in Herrera hitting the post/ bar and they could should have been 2 if not more up.

Not a stellar performance 3 by any stretch but dont get the doom and gloom about it either.

Did I watch the wrong match? Pretty sure United got battered in the second half and only 2 shots on target (with the first goal more the keepers brain fart than any great cutting edge from United) the entire game doesn't sound like domination to me.

Everton's goal as coming from a long way off!!

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 05, 2016, 09:23:46 AM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on December 05, 2016, 12:04:01 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on November 30, 2016, 11:53:54 AM

Refs are human beings and you need to know how to handle them...like Ferguson did.

Like badger, intimidate and undermine them at every occasion?

You mustn't have been paying attention. He almost always pulled back before he went too far. He was a master at getting the right amount of pressure/leverage on officials without getting suspended all the time.

No he didn't, he crossed the line time and time again with impunity.