Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

That was much better today and no surprise really given the team selection. I know it can be said the game should have been killed off but the fact it wasn't was not just down to United. Should have had a penalty - Valencia was outstanding throughout as he usually is.

I can only hope that Mourinho has finally seen the light regarding certain players and his team selections. Unfortunately United are 8 points off the top in a mediocre league where they have as good a team as anyone. A win today would have been helpful but the 6 points dropped in the last 3 games will be hard to make up.

To be fair, Rooney played well when he came on.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 19, 2016, 08:29:44 PM
That was much better today and no surprise really given the team selection. I know it can be said the game should have been killed off but the fact it wasn't was not just down to United. Should have had a penalty - Valencia was outstanding throughout as he usually is.

I can only hope that Mourinho has finally seen the light regarding certain players and his team selections. Unfortunately United are 8 points off the top in a mediocre league where they have as good a team as anyone. A win today would have been helpful but the 6 points dropped in the last 3 games will be hard to make up.

To be fair, Rooney played well when he came on.

Agree we should be in a title race but unfortunately that ship has sailed and we're in a battle to finish top 4 barring some sort of miracle. We have been very unlucky though and we appear to have suffered more injuries than anyone else. I was looking forward to seeing Mkhitaryan but he's really done something to upset Mourinho, lets hope he gets his head down as he'll get a chance soon enough.

Its a strange season where Chelsea & Liverpool are really going to benefit from no European football given they both have limited squads, if either were in Europe this year neither would be title challengers.

Hectic

I do not think United are anywhere near out of it at this stage.  People were saying that of Chelsea a number of weeks back.  What they do need though is to get some consistency going but as it stands there are plenty of teams in the mix.

magpie seanie

It's a poor league and any one of 5 or 6 could win it. Not sure I'd still include United in it but it's not like other years where 8 or 9 points was insurmountable as the team in front was going to drop very few points. I think Liverpool and Chelsea are obviously favourites at present but if/when they drop points it doesn't particularly shock you.

screenexile

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 21, 2016, 03:31:09 PM
It's a poor league and any one of 5 or 6 could win it. Not sure I'd still include United in it but it's not like other years where 8 or 9 points was insurmountable as the team in front was going to drop very few points. I think Liverpool and Chelsea are obviously favourites at present but if/when they drop points it doesn't particularly shock you.

City?? I think they can only get better the longer Guardiola works with them!

rodney trotter

Chelsea have no European distraction. Their star players back in form this season, Costa,Hazard. They are playing well defensively too,6th consecutive clean sheet yesterday. No surprise with Conte as manager.

Liverpool had no European football the season they almost won the League, 2014. Though Suarez was a big help.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: screenexile on November 22, 2016, 12:20:51 PM
United not as strong as PSG. . . How the mighty have fallen  :'( :'(

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/the-team-i-signed-for-this-summer-is-not-as-strong-as-the-one-i-left-zlatan-on-swapping-psg-for-man-united-35235729.html

You'd be crazy to disagree, hopefully 12 months down the line that will have changed although PSG last season against City were a shadow of the team that beat Chelsea 12 months earlier in the Champions League.

StGallsGAA

"No it's not your goal Ibrahimovic!" Robbie Savage doesn't do irony obviously! ::)

Captain Obvious

A fine finish on the opening goal and a good assist on the second goal from Wayne Rooney tonight.

GJL

Hopefully things are starting to click. The signs have been there for the last 3 or 4 games.

Bord na Mona man

The signs are good. Despite the claims that tactically Mourinhosaurus was the step child of Jim McGuinness, the recent displays have been the most positive and attacking ones since the Ferguson era.

The drinking furore might be the best thing to happen to Rooney. He was at his best when he had that bit of scaldy anger in him, arguing with refs, spitting like a docker and cursing like a trooper. The wages, jeeps and mansions quenched that fire. Now that he has been ganged up on, it will hopefully release the inner scouser in him.

This time last year Utd were top of the league but the straitjacket football was dire and the fans were seething. They're 8 points off the top now, but people can actually see some signs of progress.

magpie seanie

Well put BNaMM. The last couple of weeks have been better. It took Mourinho to be backed into a corner though and going along with what the "Einsteins" were saying for it to come about. Also - Mkhitaryan's performance last night raises more questions about the manager and his erratic behaviour and selections. And again blatant refereeing decisions going against the team which I put down to the manager. Didn't cost last night but a clear red card waved away.

The importance of Carrick to this team is unbelievable and very worrying. Doubt he'll play at the weekend after playing the last two so would worry about the balance of the midfield without him.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 25, 2016, 01:22:36 PM
Also - Mkhitaryan's performance last night raises more questions about the manager and his erratic behaviour and selections.
Who knows. Word is Mkhitaryan can be slow at building up confidence. A string of early poor performances might have broken him. And then the usual baying pack of Pavlov's dogs who try and brand every signing a failure in as short a space of time as possible.
It might have been for his own good to keep him off the park for a while. Coiled spring and all that.

Maroon Manc

Good result and performance last night. Rooney has his best game in about 3 years which was good to see whilst Mkhitaryan showed glimpses of the player I was expecting. Lets hope this is the start of it as I was expecting him to make a huge impact like De Bruyne did. Martial didn't even make the bench last night, hope he can sort out his personal problems as he's been a shadow of the player from last season.

Herrera will partner Pogba on Sunday with Carrick back on the bench I'd imagine; Zlatan & Mata will certainly start and but not sure which other two will start.