Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StGallsGAA

Tough one alright.  Even with 10 men United attacked as if 11.   Could have had 4 or 5 yes but when Zlatan is finding it hard to buy a goal he should not be the first man on the team sheet! Sort in out Jose!

AZOffaly

Quote from: Cunny Funt on October 29, 2016, 06:05:57 PM
Quote from: stiffler on October 29, 2016, 05:20:00 PM
Utd fans blaming Rooney a month ago for Utds poor form now blaming Zlatan 😂
Ridiculous to be blaming any individual players when the team has 36 shots, 75% possession, hit the woodwork twice and the Burnley goalkeeper pulls off world class saves.

8 points off the top now when could be only 4 points as today and Stoke should have been beaten comfortably.

Sounds like LFC under Rodgers the first season. He used to love bombarding us with possession stats, and the woodwork was hit more often than the net.

magpie seanie

To be fair today was unfortunate. United played well and were desperately unlucky. I couldn't really fault the team or even the selection (too much) until Jose started making ridiculous substitutions from the stand which broke up United's momentum. Ibrahimovic missed a few chances he'd usually never miss but his general play was really good. We need to see more of Rashford and Martial through the middle though.

Of course the manager embarrassed himself and the club with his antics again and turned the ref against United. The one where a United player was lifted out of it on the right hand side of the box was a penalty and a yellow - the Burnley player did get some of the ball but it was a wild challenge that went through the United player) and there were a few more decisions that he was not inclined to give. He's a human being and if you're abused from a height you'd tend to react the same way. Ferguson always challenged referees (it's done at every level by everyone, or should be) but obviously Mourinho crossed the line or has previous. The guy is a liability and I think he has lost it. He lost the plot last year with Eva Carneiro and hasn't regained it. I hope to God he walks sooner rather than later, he has become a parody of himself.

Boycey

cadhlancian

Where is " Silver linings " Maroon Manc ??

lurganblue

had the pleasure  ???  of watching Utd at the weekend there.  Jaysus how many chances do they need to score a goal fs! Clattenburg was harsh at times too.  I'd have given at least one of the pen shouts.

There's still problems at utd that havent really been addressed.  If big wig is still getting minutes then you know things arent right.

Oh and Blind's set pieces were a shambles.

Maroon Manc

The most one sided 0-0 I've ever seen. We should have scored at least 5 or 6 times, can't fault the players apart from the finishing. Prior to Herrera getting sent off United were creating a very good chance every 2-3 minutes. I thought Mata and Pogba were superb in the 2nd half and taking Mata off and replacing him with Rooney simply didn't work. I was complaining about the bench before the game and it turned it there was nothing on it that helped in the end. We saw plenty of 0-0's under LVG where we created next to nothing and the football was dire whilst in the 2 home draws against Stoke & Burnley we've played some great football.

Thats the 3rd time this season a ref has shafted us and probably the 2nd time its cost us points so we're certainly due a decision over the next month.

We've got to go on a run and start winning games, looks like we'll have to beat Arsenal & Spurs at home to get us closer to the top 5. I'm not worried yet but if that gap increases to more than 7 points from top 4 then we're in trouble.

yellowcard

Quote from: Maroon Manc on October 31, 2016, 10:31:15 AM
The most one sided 0-0 I've ever seen. We should have scored at least 5 or 6 times, can't fault the players apart from the finishing. Prior to Herrera getting sent off United were creating a very good chance every 2-3 minutes. I thought Mata and Pogba were superb in the 2nd half and taking Mata off and replacing him with Rooney simply didn't work. I was complaining about the bench before the game and it turned it there was nothing on it that helped in the end. We saw plenty of 0-0's under LVG where we created next to nothing and the football was dire whilst in the 2 home draws against Stoke & Burnley we've played some great football.

Thats the 3rd time this season a ref has shafted us and probably the 2nd time its cost us points so we're certainly due a decision over the next month.

We've got to go on a run and start winning games, looks like we'll have to beat Arsenal & Spurs at home to get us closer to the top 5. I'm not worried yet but if that gap increases to more than 7 points from top 4 then we're in trouble.

Arguably the best display of the season in terms of chances created but the lack of goals is still a major concern. I know Martial is possibly still injured but I would like to see Mata playing behind Martial and Rashford, particularly at home against the minnows. He should at least try this set up in a Europa League match to see how it works. Ibrahimovic is not the future, he is a short term fix and just isn't producing the goods as whilst he hasn't the pace to get in behind defences, a bigger concern is his poor finishing which is usually a strength of his. Rashford i sbeing wasted in a fullback/winger role and the lack of pace in forward areas is leaving things all too predictable as everything is played short and in front. Player wise I do think there is the makings of a good team there but I don't think Mourinho is any closer to finding his best team yet. Europa League could still be important if the gap to the top 4 becomes any bigger.   

Milltown Row2

I think Jose is the victim of his own actions in relation to abuse given to referees, if he'd learn to shut his mouth and let the players do the talking he'd find that those marginal decisions will go his way rather than not!

I believe Clattenburg made a statement
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

yellowcard

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 31, 2016, 10:58:32 AM
I think Jose is the victim of his own actions in relation to abuse given to referees, if he'd learn to shut his mouth and let the players do the talking he'd find that those marginal decisions will go his way rather than not!

I believe Clattenburg made a statement

I believe he has turned the authorities against him, a few of the decisions on Saturday were marginal but I thought the Darmian one in the first half although borderline, was still a penalty. Certainly at home at OT you would expect to get it. Most of these referee's have big egos (Clattenberg is one of them) and they do not want to be seen to be bowing down to Mourinho's intimidation tactics. It's no co-incidence that the referee always seems to end up as a talking point in matches involving Mourinho and he has always tried to use this as a tool to try and sway officials in the past. It is not working and I agree, it is time to step back and concentrate on the things he can control and forget about haranguing officials as a tactic. It's unsavoury and can become an unwanted distraction particularly when the manager is sitting up in the directors box communicationg via hand written notes.   

Maroon Manc

Quote from: yellowcard on October 31, 2016, 10:49:14 AM

Arguably the best display of the season in terms of chances created but the lack of goals is still a major concern. I know Martial is possibly still injured but I would like to see Mata playing behind Martial and Rashford, particularly at home against the minnows. He should at least try this set up in a Europa League match to see how it works. Ibrahimovic is not the future, he is a short term fix and just isn't producing the goods as whilst he hasn't the pace to get in behind defences, a bigger concern is his poor finishing which is usually a strength of his. Rashford i sbeing wasted in a fullback/winger role and the lack of pace in forward areas is leaving things all too predictable as everything is played short and in front. Player wise I do think there is the makings of a good team there but I don't think Mourinho is any closer to finding his best team yet. Europa League could still be important if the gap to the top 4 becomes any bigger.

Zlatan is missing chances but he played very well around the box and linked him well with those around him. I'd be more worried if he wasn't getting any chances. I think with Martial been injured and out of form and Mkhitryan not playing we've seen far too much of Rashford playing wide, I'm sure that will change as the season progresses.

Maroon Manc

We've had a lot of players sent off and conceded a lot of penalties when Clattenburg has reffed us in recent years.

gallsman

Quote from: Maroon Manc on October 31, 2016, 11:31:28 AM
We've had a lot of players sent off and conceded a lot of penalties when Clattenburg has reffed us in recent years.

Yeah, referees are really biased against United.

yellowcard

Quote from: Maroon Manc on October 31, 2016, 11:24:35 AM

Zlatan is missing chances but he played very well around the box and linked him well with those around him. I'd be more worried if he wasn't getting any chances. I think with Martial been injured and out of form and Mkhitryan not playing we've seen far too much of Rashford playing wide, I'm sure that will change as the season progresses.

Yes, I've heard this argument about Zlatan still getting into the scoring positions, but in saying that his job is to finish those chances. If he had finished as he should have, against Stoke and Burnley, the gap to the top of the table would be only 4 points. When I watched the highlights again on Saturday night, Ibra was actually heavily involved in the build up but it is all in front of the opponents defence. He doesn't have the pace to run in behind and the reality is that 90% of strikers at his age have been put out to pasture. I don't see it happening as Mourinho seems to have total faith in him, but I just think he should be used far more sparingly.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: yellowcard on October 31, 2016, 11:36:19 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on October 31, 2016, 11:24:35 AM

Yes, I've heard this argument about Zlatan still getting into the scoring positions, but in saying that his job is to finish those chances. If he had finished as he should have, against Stoke and Burnley, the gap to the top of the table would be only 4 points. When I watched the highlights again on Saturday night, Ibra was actually heavily involved in the build up but it is all in front of the opponents defence. He doesn't have the pace to run in behind and the reality is that 90% of strikers at his age have been put out to pasture. I don't see it happening as Mourinho seems to have total faith in him, but I just think he should be used far more sparingly.

Zlatan has aspects of his game that Martial & Rashford don't have and very few players have, I'm happy to keep him in the team; Even against City where he had a quiet first half his pass to Rashford was brilliant and he was heavily involved in the build up to the goal first with winning the aerial battle with Otamendi and then his pass to Mata. Its nothing like the issues we had with Rooney where his all round play was appalling, Zlatan is still contributing.