Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Delighted to win but there disappointed with the 2nd half performance and the lack of tactical change in from LVG, Everton were well on top and all he does is change one of the fullbacks.

We should have finished off Everton in the first 55 minutes and as usual we didn't, the midfield 3 worked in the first half but we were crying out for a change from about 55 minutes; Rooney, Fellaini & Carrick began to tire as the game became stretched and we didn't have the legs in midfield to cope. Several times Fellaini & Rooney were bypassed in the middle and only for Carrick we would have been in trouble a lot more.

Overall we just about deserved to win as we controlled a lot more of the game than Everton although 4-3 would probably have been the right result. Lingard needs to start taking his chances, he's missed so many great chances in recent weeks mainly in both cup games. Martial as usual was superb.

Kickham csc

Quick thought,

Does anybody believe that history is repeating itself?

Fergie nearly getting the sack in 91, only of the FA cup 'v' Palace saving him.

Fergie spent =his initial years sorting out United defensively, making them hard to beat, then turning them into a hard to beat / great attacking force.

Van Gal is now in the pre 91 year development phase, and if they win the FA cup, it could launch a new era of young United stars

BTW, My father and uncles were United fans, I'm Arsenal, and my son Liverpool, so no angle with this post, just interested in what's happening

laoislad

I dunno,but I see your son got the brains in the family.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: laoislad on April 25, 2016, 11:25:28 AM

What a thoughtful, insightful and worthy contribution to the board.

AZOffaly

Lads, if United win the cup, which they surely will now, and finish 4th, which looks certainly possible given Arsenal's stuttering, would that constitute a good season, given the current circumstances? Given the fears maybe 6 weeks ago, that's probably a great result!

NAG1

Quote from: Kickham csc on April 25, 2016, 11:17:56 AM
Quick thought,

Fergie spent =his initial years sorting out United defensively, making them hard to beat, then turning them into a hard to beat / great attacking force.

Van Gal is now in the pre 91 year development phase, and if they win the FA cup, it could launch a new era of young United stars

BTW, My father and uncles were United fans, I'm Arsenal, and my son Liverpool, so no angle with this post, just interested in what's happening

I cant see an era happening like the one that occurred under AF. Firstly the chances of a group of players coming through the system together like the class of 92 is second to none, allied to the fact that they played with some of the best united players of all time during that spell and under a manager who was a determined winner.

The fates aligned under AF and he got the best out of them in the majority of occasions.

The game has moved on and I think that LVG will move on in the summer too regardless. Still not convinced by any replacement that has been touted yet. But its the level of performance that will do for LV, too many insipid performances.

BennyCake

Quote from: OgraAnDun on April 25, 2016, 11:46:22 AM
Quote from: laoislad on April 25, 2016, 11:25:28 AM

What a thoughtful, insightful and worthy contribution to the board.

...as always.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Kickham csc on April 25, 2016, 11:17:56 AM
Quick thought,

There are a few coincidences but that's about it.

Fergie from 90-92 bought Schmeichel, Irwin, Kanchelskis & Cantona from a combined £3m. LVG isn't going to replicate that.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 25, 2016, 11:50:37 AM
Lads, if United win the cup, which they surely will now, and finish 4th, which looks certainly possible given Arsenal's stuttering, would that constitute a good season, given the current circumstances? Given the fears maybe 6 weeks ago, that's probably a great result!

The football has been horrendous and he's affected season ticket renewals so he's a goner.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 25, 2016, 11:56:11 AM

The football has been horrendous and he's affected season ticket renewals so he's a goner.

But did the season tickets get affected because people thought the season was falling apart, or was it really about style of play? As you said, the stuff Ferguson played in the last 2 or 3 years wasn't exactly high octane either. If the season gets rescued, would the season tickets get renewed in a rush?

StGallsGAA

QuoteLads, if United win the cup, which they surely will now, and finish 4th, which looks certainly possible given Arsenal's stuttering, would that constitute a good season, given the current circumstances?

You're opening line is a clear indicator of the garbage that is about to follow on from it.....

AZOffaly

Huh? You don't think United will be clear favourites in a Cup Final against Palace? What is garbage about that? And with the results United have been getting recently, Arsenal's stuttering may well see them land in 4th. I don't see what the problem is here? I'm asking if those things happen, would LVG save his job? Would it be a decent season's haul, all things considered?

If that's garbage, then I think you must have a very low threshold on garbage :)

Maroon Manc

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 25, 2016, 11:58:39 AM

But did the season tickets get affected because people thought the season was falling apart, or was it really about style of play? As you said, the stuff Ferguson played in the last 2 or 3 years wasn't exactly high octane either. If the season gets rescued, would the season tickets get renewed in a rush?

This season has been taken to a new level in terms of dullness, its been horrendous and speaking to older reds its a lot worse than under Sexton.

All the ST holders I know have spoken to the club and all told them they'll not renew if LVG stays although most of them will renew if he stays but are using the gap between now and renewal time to put pressure on the club but there are a few I follow on twitter who won't renew. The club have put back the date you date you have to renew by until after the cup final, they changed it a few weeks ago. Even LVG hasn't been as bullish about staying in recent weeks.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 25, 2016, 12:07:36 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 25, 2016, 11:58:39 AM

This season has been taken to a new level in terms of dullness, its been horrendous and speaking to older reds its a lot worse than under Sexton.

All the ST holders I know have spoken to the club and all told them they'll not renew if LVG stays although most of them will renew if he stays but are using the gap between now and renewal time to put pressure on the club but there are a few I follow on twitter who won't renew. The club have put back the date you date you have to renew by until after the cup final, they changed it a few weeks ago. Even LVG hasn't been as bullish about staying in recent weeks.

Interesting. The bar will have been set quite high for his successor, no matter who it is. Attacking, fast football, that returns at least CL qualification and a major trophy. That's a tough gig.