Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Net spend can give an indication of the type of players that left. Like a lot of the reason Rodgers net spend is relatively low is because LFC had two huge transfers in Suarez and Sterling. So net spend can be used as a mitigant for overall team performance perhaps.

However, when evaluating a manager, it comes down to have you got the best out of the talent you have, and he had bought nearly 300m quid of talent.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 02, 2015, 10:11:19 AM
Net spend can give an indication of the type of players that left. Like a lot of the reason Rodgers net spend is relatively low is because LFC had two huge transfers in Suarez and Sterling. So net spend can be used as a mitigant for overall team performance perhaps.

However, when evaluating a manager, it comes down to have you got the best out of the talent you have, and he had bought nearly 300m quid of talent.

That's true,  but at the back of it all the talent has to work within a system.  Klopp has the same talent as BR but they are a different side. I reckon if Pep or the likes had the United players they would be completely different.   

GJL

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 02, 2015, 10:08:30 AM
Net spend is for accountants.  The quality of what is brought in is all that counts.  If LVG brought in a team to win the league and it cost £500m no one on here would give a f**k.

If he brings in one or two players that can find the net at Christmas Utd could push on and win the league. Not many fcuks will be given then about net spend etc.

FermGael

Gary Neville new Valencia head coach.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

screenexile

Maroon Manc

Get a grip People, Pep has a far better squad at Bayern than United do, he inherited the European Champions and has added Alonso, Thiago, Vidal, Lewandowski, Goetze, Coman, Costa & Benatia to that squad.

He's a great manager but has only worked with 2 of the best 3 squads I've ever seen assembled so it remains to be seen what he'd do with this United squad.

We have several players who are young and inexperienced and will continue to improve. Ability wise Martial, Depay & Shaw are capable of becoming world class players but are not at that level yet.

LVG has made one mistake with his signings and that was Di Maria and I'm not convinced he really wanted him, really believe Woodward desperately wanted him as a vanity singing.

Bad news for Rooney with Gary Neville leaving SKY, Rooney's form will now be discussed sensibly and not ignored.

None of the other players he's signed have been bad signings.

gallsman

Quote from: screenexile on December 02, 2015, 12:10:01 PM
Quote from: FermGael on December 02, 2015, 12:07:13 PM
Gary Neville new Valencia head coach.

That's mad Ted!

Not when you think about it. Phil already there and apparently speaks Spanish, has his coaching badges, still gets to go to Euros with Englang apparently and is already a business partner of Peter Lim.

deiseach

Did any of the gossip columns or EXCLUSIVE stories predict this appointment? If I didn't know better I'd say they were all made up.

Boycey

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 02, 2015, 10:04:43 AM
I know this is only ball hopping at this stage, re net spend, but humour me. Below is Brendan Rodgers' summary of his transfer dealings at Liverpool. He ended up with a Net Spend of 91m. Should he be excused, should he still be liverpool manager, did he do a good job, if his net spend is less than 100m?

During his three year period as manager of Liverpool, Brendan Rodgers oversaw the signings of thirty three players and the departure of another thirty eight. Those incoming transfers cost approximately £291,550,000 at an average of over £8,800,000 per player, and the departures have brought in approximately £200,250,000 in transfer fees. Rodgers therefore oversaw a net spend of approximately £91,300,000 on transfer fees during his time in charge of the team.

Obviously I understand the difference between total spend and net spend, but I look at value for money on the 291m he did spend. Perhaps a lot of that spend wouldn't have happened if Suarez and Sterling had stayed, but did the players he bought justify the money he spent on them. Did he get the best out of what he had? That's the measure of a manager, not his net spend.

Serious question, would I be right in saying that you think Van Gaal hasn't done a good job so far at Utd

AZOffaly

I think Van Gaal has made a decent start. I think he has concentrated on making them very hard to beat, and very machine like. I don't think they play off the cuff at all any more, and that is why United fans themselves have been harsh on him.

They are second in the table, probably going through to the next round of the Champions league, and I'd take that in a heartbeat if I was a United fan.

That said, I think he's on a journey with this club, and where he is now is not the destination. The next step is obviously to start scoring more goals and being more confident in his players in an attacking sense. But I'm sure he's thinking that too, and will continue to evolve in that sense.

So I think he's in the process of doing a good job, and as a Liverpool fan, I'm not happy he's there, but he hasn't completed the job by a long chalk just yet.

If they question is, is he getting the most out of the players he has bought, I would say at the moment the answer is probably no, but when he finishes I expect he will do.

GJL

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 02, 2015, 01:31:53 PM
I think Van Gaal has made a decent start. I think he has concentrated on making them very hard to beat, and very machine like. I don't think they play off the cuff at all any more, and that is why United fans themselves have been harsh on him.

They are second in the table, probably going through to the next round of the Champions league, and I'd take that in a heartbeat if I was a United fan.

That said, I think he's on a journey with this club, and where he is now is not the destination. The next step is obviously to start scoring more goals and being more confident in his players in an attacking sense. But I'm sure he's thinking that too, and will continue to evolve in that sense.

So I think he's in the process of doing a good job, and as a Liverpool fan, I'm not happy he's there, but he hasn't completed the job by a long chalk just yet.

If they question is, is he getting the most out of the players he has bought, I would say at the moment the answer is probably no, but when he finishes I expect he will do.

I agree with what you say but not so sure about the highlighted bit. Won't be easy.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: GJL on December 02, 2015, 01:53:08 PM

I agree with what you say but not so sure about the highlighted bit. Won't be easy.

I'm with you, could be Thursday night football at the very worst!!!    Rather not play on a Thursday at all
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Boycey

Really good post, that said why does the nett spend thing cause so much debate and disagreement every time it raises its head?? I  don't see nett spend being put as an excuse on here for Uniteds shortcomings rather as an understanding of the state of transition the club are currently in, much as you have detailed in your post? The statement from MaroonManc that started this current flurry was that the owners will be delighted to have overhauled the playing staff for 'only' £140 million, that rings true to me also.

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 02, 2015, 10:08:30 AM
Net spend is for accountants.  The quality of what is brought in is all that counts.  If LVG brought in a team to win the league and it cost £500m no one on here would give a f**k.

Exactly. Judge a manager on what he spends....

magpie seanie

Good post AZ - nice to see a non-United fan post something sensible. And in truth, what you've said is how most United fans with any cop on see it and the vast majority here. It's a work in progress, not pretty a lot of the time, but there are signs of progress.

I was listening to an interesting discussion this morning about Everton and how their supporters were unhappy last season with loads of possession but no cutting edge. Difference this season has been Deulofeu (top class) and more importantly - Lukaku has learned his role and is playing it to a tee. Last season he kept coming short looking for the ball (Rooney) and pretty much getting in the way. The striker in the modern game needs to use his pace to get down the channels (Vardy) and time his runs in the box (Lukaku brilliant at this now).