Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on November 30, 2015, 09:12:37 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on November 30, 2015, 09:09:08 AM
Quote from: GJL on November 28, 2015, 09:56:34 PM
Utd are currently above Arsenal and Chelsea and a point behind City. They have the best defence in the league. To make a great team the first thing to do is to make them hard to beat then work on scoring. (Ask Jimmy). Utd are a work in progress and are one good goal scoring player away from being a league winning team. January window may just turn up that player and if Utd are still in around the top of the table then they could win the league.
Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 28, 2015, 09:17:20 PM
Imagine the internet existed back in the late 80's, Fergie had spent more money than any of his rivals and was no nearer to winning the title. You'd think we were in Chelsea's position ffs.

He's 18 months into the job, has got rid of over 20 players and only a point only a point behind the leaders.  Depay,  Lingard and Martial don't even have 40 games between them for United, they are 3 young inexperienced players who will improve.

Pellegrini has spent more money and inherited a far superior team and their only a point ahead of United.

I agree with all the above, there are times I am so frustrated with United but then I look at the deadwood that he had to ship out (which he has done) and the fact that he has had to build a new squad.  There are lots of clubs out there who spend a few hundred million to improve a squad but United have spent this money on building a new squad nearly from scratch.  I then look at the fact that we are in a good position in the league and have a solid spine and think that one or two marquee players is what is really needed to turn this team into league winners.  On the otherhand, I sometimes think that any team is going to be hard to score against if they play 2 defensive midfielders in every game.

ah come off it, they won the league in 2013!

So they did, with a squad that was ultimately done.  Go through the 2013 squad to the one now and look at the rebuilding job that has had to be done.  Out of the 29 man squad in 2013 there were only 9 left at the start of this season. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

NAG1

Quote from: annapr on November 30, 2015, 10:20:19 AM

Dont think too many United fans with any sense are looking at a realistic title challenge this year. Problem is that this year would be the year with a consistent run that any of the heavy hitters could take the title.

I for one am hoping that the plan is to come out the otherside of the Christmas period still in touch and then throw the shackles off and let the team go for it a bit more to try to make a push.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: NAG1 on November 30, 2015, 10:48:22 AM
Quote from: annapr on November 30, 2015, 10:20:19 AM

Dont think too many United fans with any sense are looking at a realistic title challenge this year. Problem is that this year would be the year with a consistent run that any of the heavy hitters could take the title.

I for one am hoping that the plan is to come out the otherside of the Christmas period still in touch and then throw the shackles off and let the team go for it a bit more to try to make a push.

City should win this league comfortably and would if they had a top class manager; I watched them on Saturday and benefited from Soton not turning up the first 20 minutes.Take Silva out of that team and they struggle to keep the ball.  Pellegrini has inherited a team with Kompany, Zabaletta, Hart, Toure, Silva & Aguero and spent over £200m and hasn't really improved the team, they should be 5-6 points clear of everyone.

I do think we'd have 3 of 4 more points if we'd had the Rooney of 5 years ago but we don't and thats where the problem is, we're relying on inexperienced youngsters as Rooney is finished.

I expect us to finish on around somewhere between 78-80 points which shouldn't be enough to win the league. The football was dire in plenty of seasons under Fergie, from August 2003 to the end of 2005 the football and results weren't great. There was one season during that period where we scored about 11 goals in the first 12 games, even from 2009 to 2013 the football wasn't exciting;

maldini

Since Van Gaal has come into United he has spent more than Pellegrini has at City in the same period of time

nrico2006

Quote from: maldini on November 30, 2015, 03:09:28 PM
Since Van Gaal has come into United he has spent more than Pellegrini has at City in the same period of time

But Pellegrini has spent that on simply trying to improve an already strong squad, not completely rebuild it.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Maroon Manc

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 30, 2015, 03:16:11 PM

But Pellegrini has spent that on simply trying to improve an already strong squad, not completely rebuild it.

No point trying to reason with the abu's, only looking to get a rise out of us.

rodney trotter

If United go out of the Champions League the rebuilding talk is irrelevant. PSV lost their 2 best players in the summer to United and Newcastle.

Southampton lost half a team last season but were able to replace those players. The replacements probaly better players then what left.

StGallsGAA

Good u21 win v Liverpool. 3-2 with a goal and 2 assists for Fellaini.  United were 2 up with 10 mins to go. After falling asleep for 5 mins it was 2-2 before a grandstand finish. 

Captain Obvious

Leicester city are having the same good start to season as Southampton had last year however it's a long season and like Southampton they will likely finished well outside the top four.

maldini

Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 30, 2015, 05:13:05 PM

Van Gaal and Pellegrini both took over squads that had won the title 14 months previous, and have both spent hundreds of millions
Pellegrini has won trophies whereas Van Gaal hasn't.
It was hardly that bad a squad that Van Gaal had inerited, they had ran away with the title 14 months earlier

GJL

Quote from: maldini on December 01, 2015, 10:53:08 AM

Van Gaal and Pellegrini both took over squads that had won the title 14 months previous, and have both spent hundreds of millions
It was hardly that bad a squad that Van Gaal had inerited, they had ran away with the title 14 months earlier

Do you think the current Utd squad would be top of the league under different management?

maldini

No but i'd say other managers would have spent the £300m better and would have them in a better position and playing better football

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: GJL on December 01, 2015, 11:14:28 AM
Quote from: maldini on December 01, 2015, 10:53:08 AM

Do you think the current Utd squad would be top of the league under different management?

But its HIS squad! One he has put together after spending 100s of millions!
The big criticism of Van Gaal is that the key players (IMO) that United have lost since that title winning season are Rio,Vidic & RVP.
Despite all the money he has spent, he hasn't really found proper replacements for any of them.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Maroon Manc

LVG has done a great job of changing the squad for just over £140m, his bosses will be delighted with the job he's done so far considering he's done it on the cheap in todays market.