Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: laoislad on May 14, 2014, 03:48:00 PM
Quote from: J OGorman on May 14, 2014, 02:19:35 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on May 14, 2014, 02:07:27 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on May 14, 2014, 01:54:30 PM
Quote from: Shrewdness on May 14, 2014, 01:49:21 PM
Rumours of an announcement of some kind from United shortly.

Well since this is pretty much going to be the only day off for the Dutch squad between now the WC and with Giggs already out there, it would make sense for it to be today.

What is the general feeling on LVG?Im a bit nonplussed by the appointment though I do believe he will garner more respect from the players and will make them competitive again with a few good signings. With more than likely 3 if not more of the big wages earner heading out the door, I think they will be very competitive in the Salary they are offering to attract players.

I'm delighted at the prospect. It may not work out but it has a fighting chance of doing so, unlike the last appointment. My feeling is it will go quite well.

Id say most of the posts re LVG's appointment will be a little more guarded than this time last year......once bitten and all

Personally, I think he will be an unmitigated disaster :-)

(forgot the smiley face)

If you're ever bored and need a laugh then just read back this thread from June last year onwards.. ;)

Moyes was appointed in May.

deiseach

May wasn't as much fun.

AZOffaly

EC Unique

Shrewdness

Being rumoured that United won't now announce Van Gaal until next week. One source says it's because they want to announce the signing of a new player at the same time..Hard to know what to believe at this stage.

AZOffaly

Apparently Giggs was in Holland today, so unless he was there for some other reason, van Gaal has to be in the bag. Unless of course he's changed his mind...

Armamike

Quote from: EC Unique on May 14, 2014, 03:32:12 PM
Quote from: deiseach on May 14, 2014, 03:25:20 PM
The speed with which Alex Ferguson left and the Chosen One was, uh, chosen means it's impossible to know for sure, but I can't see Van Gaal being mentioned much for the job at Old Trafford had there been any discussion about it this time last year. Amidst speculation about Mourinho, Guardiola or Klopp, Van Gaal would have looked like yesterday's man. Remember, this is a guy who was being touted as a natural fit with Spurs only a few months ago.

However, times have changed. He seems to have a habit of going into a club and kicking sand in the faces of everyone there. This would have been impossible last season what with all the guff about respecting the timeless virtues that are unique to Mancester United FC. A year on, I think this is exactly what is required.

AFAIK he had the job when Fergie decided to retire in 2002 but then Fergie changed his mind and stayed..

Was Erickson not lined up for it? And that's what made Ferguson change his mind - he couldn't bear the thought of him taking over?
That's just, like your opinion man.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 15, 2014, 01:45:07 PM
Apparently Giggs was in Holland today, so unless he was there for some other reason, van Gaal has to be in the bag. Unless of course he's changed his mind...

Why else would Randy Ryan be in Holland? :P 

Armamike

Checking out the art galleries?
That's just, like your opinion man.

Shrewdness

I'd have no doubts that Van Gaal will get the job. It's over 3 weeks since Moyes was sacked, not an awful length of time. But considering that he seems to have been the only candidate, and with the World Cup only weeks away, i'd have thought that this would have been done by now, even if only to remove the speculation over him coming up to Brazil. Still waiting for Ed Woodward to impress. The hesitation in the transfer market last summer and the poor way that Ferdinand, Woods and Neville were dealt with last weekend, within earshot of other people.

AZOffaly

what was the name of the lad that played the 'Equaliser' in that old TV show. Was that Ed Woodward as well?

deiseach

Quote from: Armamike on May 15, 2014, 02:19:04 PM
Checking out the art galleries?

Is that what they're calling them these days? A bit like 'coffee shops'.

EC Unique

Quote from: Armamike on May 15, 2014, 02:15:34 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on May 14, 2014, 03:32:12 PM
Quote from: deiseach on May 14, 2014, 03:25:20 PM
The speed with which Alex Ferguson left and the Chosen One was, uh, chosen means it's impossible to know for sure, but I can't see Van Gaal being mentioned much for the job at Old Trafford had there been any discussion about it this time last year. Amidst speculation about Mourinho, Guardiola or Klopp, Van Gaal would have looked like yesterday's man. Remember, this is a guy who was being touted as a natural fit with Spurs only a few months ago.

However, times have changed. He seems to have a habit of going into a club and kicking sand in the faces of everyone there. This would have been impossible last season what with all the guff about respecting the timeless virtues that are unique to Mancester United FC. A year on, I think this is exactly what is required.

AFAIK he had the job when Fergie decided to retire in 2002 but then Fergie changed his mind and stayed..

Was Erickson not lined up for it? And that's what made Ferguson change his mind - he couldn't bear the thought of him taking over?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27123670

bbc would usually be a good enough 'source'..

deiseach

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 15, 2014, 03:34:50 PM
what was the name of the lad that played the 'Equaliser' in that old TV show. Was that Ed Woodward as well?

Sure was. Great actor, really captured what it must have been like to have been David Moyes in The Wicker Man.

GJL

I think it is pretty obvious that Van Gaal has the job. Just seems hard to fit in an official announcement around his WC duties. Financial results are positive today anyway! Need to get back in Europe straight away to maintain the financial dominance.