Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: Shrewdness on April 23, 2014, 09:23:29 PM
Agree fully with Benny Cake re Michael Carrick. His continuous presence in recent seasons is symptomatic of the malaise that has afflicted United's midfield. Long past his best, such as was, and one of many for the exit.

Agreed. For a guy who is over 6 foot tall he was very easily pushed around. I'll never forget Olic making a monkey out of him when United had Bayern on the ropes in a CL semi final the year Rooney got 40 odd goals.

Disappointed Januzaj is going to play for Belgium. I was hoping he would have his summers free to rest for most of his career, like Giggs did.

Captain Obvious

In fairness Michael Carrick had a good season last year however was one of the many players that David Moyes was unable to get the best out of.

magpie seanie

He did have a good season in 2012/13 alright. He was worse than ever this year though.

BennyCake

Carrick is the Neil Lennon of the PL. Rarely passes it forward or creates anything meaningful. I honestly don't know why he wasn't shipped out years ago, regardless of how weak United were in CM.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Captain Obvious on April 23, 2014, 09:34:30 PM
In fairness Michael Carrick had a good season last year however was one of the many players that David Moyes was unable to get the best out of.

One of many players that didn't perform , that isn't all down to Moyes, Carrick is 32 he shouldn't need to be told anything about effort or work rate

Shrewdness

Captain, i wouldn't blame Moyes for not getting the best out of Carrick, because the best of him was long gone. He used to get a few goals and could give some good long range passes. But that was a few years ago. In recent years, he became hesitant and ponderous on the ball, usually passing it square or backwards. He is lazy defensively, Olympiakos second goal a prime example. The fact that he is still at the heart of United's midfield is imo more Ferguson's fault than Moyes.

EC Unique

Maureen has went from 40-1 to 14-1 in the last 24 hours for the job!

Shrewdness

Just saw on Sky that he's now in from 14/1 to 8/1 third favourite. As i wrote on the thread on United's next manager, he would be my choice as United's next manager. His style of football at times isn't attractive, but football is now, more than ever before, a results based business, as David Moyes discovered. Mourinho is a winner.

Kidder81

Quote from: Shrewdness on April 23, 2014, 11:26:15 PM
Just saw on Sky that he's now in from 14/1 to 8/1 third favourite. As i wrote on the thread on United's next manager, he would be my choice as United's next manager. His style of football at times isn't attractive, but football is now, more than ever before, a results based business, as David Moyes discovered. Mourinho is a winner.

I wouldn't be paying too much heed to the markets for next managers, notoriously unreliable and driven by the bookies.

Shrewdness

Agree with you on that.

nrico2006

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 23, 2014, 09:33:23 PM
Quote from: Shrewdness on April 23, 2014, 09:23:29 PM
Agree fully with Benny Cake re Michael Carrick. His continuous presence in recent seasons is symptomatic of the malaise that has afflicted United's midfield. Long past his best, such as was, and one of many for the exit.

Agreed. For a guy who is over 6 foot tall he was very easily pushed around. I'll never forget Olic making a monkey out of him when United had Bayern on the ropes in a CL semi final the year Rooney got 40 odd goals.

Disappointed Januzaj is going to play for Belgium. I was hoping he would have his summers free to rest for most of his career, like Giggs did.

I will never forget that either, Olic made a wee boy out of him when United were on course to get through.  Never understood the praise he received, very poor offensively and has no athleticism as well as being one paced. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

blewuporstuffed

And then we had Giles trying to tell us that it was Guardiola that brough Xavi & Iniesta into the Barca team  ::)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

johnneycool

If financial fair play only relates to European football, Utd will not be affected for a year or two.

Wait till RVP and co put in transfer requests as they need to be playing at the highest level, blah, blah, blah..

From the Bunker

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on April 24, 2014, 09:18:09 AM
And then we had Giles trying to tell us that it was Guardiola that brough Xavi & Iniesta into the Barca team  ::)

Yeah, embarrassing moment! Giles has no clue of Continental football. In fairness he can read a game but knows little or nothing of the characters involved. The three (four including Bill) are there for the pantomime and in fairness they provide that.

magpie seanie

Quote from: johnneycool on April 24, 2014, 09:18:59 AM
If financial fair play only relates to European football, Utd will not be affected for a year or two.

Wait till RVP and co put in transfer requests as they need to be playing at the highest level, blah, blah, blah..

Keep on dreaming.