Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

But wobbler, you accused Danny Rose of being childish. This was not a few PC feathers being ruffled, it was apparently an example of full blown, monkey chant abuse. In that case I don't think he was childish.

I do think you are correct in that a black militant lobby within the player base is a bit dangerous, and for it to be really effective it has to be a joint, inclusive campaign. However, I don't think that is what is going on here. I think the players are just saying they are unimpressed with this particular campaign, and feel that the powers that be are not going far enough. There's no question that English soccer is a far more friendly place for a black player now, but that doesn't mean there aren't issues bubbling under the surface. Obviously something is annoying these players, and it's not just Ferdinand. Quite a few black players boycotted that t-shirt display on Saturday.

I heard a quote, by a black player, on Sky Sports News, where the chairman of the KIO campaign was being hassled for not doing enough and his response was 'I'm not hear to speak out for black players, who are rich'. If the mindset is that they only want to protect the poor cotton pickers, then it's completely off base.

Norf Tyrone

Agree with that Wobbler. Now is the time to back up and support KIO.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

magpie seanie

Declan

Enjoyed that Seanie - I always thought Keane's performance in the 96 final was unreal - My memory of it was it appeared that the Liverpool lads were scared of him (now I know why ;)

5 Sams

I was there for the performance against the Dutch in Landsdowne Road lads in 2001. People rave about Trigger's goal and the defensive heroics but Keane's display was close to the best I have ever seen from anyone in any sport. Better even than the Juve semi in 99.
The Aristocrat Years

EC Unique

The fact that he is so hated by other fans is testament to how effective he was as a player. The English league has never seen the like of him since. I only wish Utd could find another Roy Keane. :-\

stew

Quote from: Bingo on October 24, 2012, 10:04:55 AM
Comparing what John Barnes put up with and then comparing it to the current age is laughable and then to say that things haven't improved much since then. FFS, things are a million miles from then and to say otherwise is just plain daft.

Any racism now is dealt with and punished.

Racism is never............................and I mean never, a laughing matter.

Serbian fans are still throwing bananas, the Lazio scum are still at their facist shite and you have a young Englishman getting absolutely destroyed in an U21 with racist scum abusing him.

Things are still very bad, the Spanish have their issues with racism, I do agree with Wobbler on one thing, a black players union would be divisive and would be a very big step in the wrong direction.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

EC Unique

If there was a union that only black players could join would that not be racist?

Captain Obvious

Quote from: EC Unique on October 25, 2012, 05:23:52 PM
The fact that he is so hated by other fans is testament to how effective he was as a player. The English league has never seen the like of him since. I only wish Utd could find another Roy Keane. :-\

Won't find one. The hard hitting defensive midfielder is dead and players get sent off for next to nothing nowadays.

NAG1

What's the verdict on the Diamond formation?

Not convinced myself as the team looked really powder puff in the middle of the park at times against Braga, I suppose this might improve by bringing Rio and Vidic back to central defence and strengthening the team in general. Puts a massive onus on the Full backs to get forward and provide the width and alot of creativity. Not something that any of the current crop of full backs are massively good at.

Interesting times, when you are able to leave, Young Valencia and Nani on the bench to play this system though.

Goats Do Shave

I like it. It's very fluid. Front 3/4 should go where there's space, constantly changing, give n go.

It's success will be very reliant on workrate though.

magpie seanie

Manchester United should play with two wingers.

EC Unique

Not too worried about young or nani but a player like Valencia is too good to be on the bench. Kagawa is out now for 3-4 weeks so I think we could go back to using wingers again for a while.

stew

Quote from: NAG1 on October 26, 2012, 01:22:57 PM
What's the verdict on the Diamond formation?

Not convinced myself as the team looked really powder puff in the middle of the park at times against Braga, I suppose this might improve by bringing Rio and Vidic back to central defence and strengthening the team in general. Puts a massive onus on the Full backs to get forward and provide the width and alot of creativity. Not something that any of the current crop of full backs are massively good at.

Interesting times, when you are able to leave, Young Valencia and Nani on the bench to play this system though.

This diamond thingy is all the rage at youth level, and to me it is far too easy to disrupt, we start with a 3-6-1 and then after about 10 minutes go to a 3-5-2 and usually we do nothing but frustrate the players in the diamond formation as they have no time at all on the ball and they make mistake after mistake.

The whole key to the diamond formation is the ability to get the ball and pass with excellence and speed, then penetrate, you cant do that when you are not controlling the midfield and it is amazing how frustrated coaches get when their team's are not allowed to play the game on their terms. :)

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 26, 2012, 01:33:36 PM
Manchester United should play with two wingers.
Too predictable.