Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

The great wall of China (Vidic) has been broken down to be replaced by a sheet of glass (Evans)

Capt Pat

Time for Robbie Brady lads. Giggsy Wiggsy is finished.

Highlight of the night: Bull in a china shop Wayne Rooney after missing the open goal acting like a bull in a china shop who had just smashed an expensive plate and nobody was around to see it and just standing still pretending nothing had happenned.

brokencrossbar1

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/index.html

Here's the link which you can use after the final group games on 14/15 December to find out who you will be drawn against.

ross4life

Well the dust has almost settled on last nights CL exit, I could use a pile of excuses why they failed to get out of that group like bad luck,Fergie's strange team selection's,complacency,injuries or maybe the scars from the 1-6 derby defeat still hasn't fully healed but the bottom line is 9 points & only two wins is a poor return from a group they would normally stroll through.

Going into the game United had only one CL away defeat in 4 years so pre-match i believed they had the experience,know how to get at least a draw & i thought come Feb the form would improve to give the knock out stages a good rattle.

Credit to Benfica,Basel both play good football & both got the job done, Benfica have been there before knocking United,Liverpool out of europe in the past but it's a real fairy tale story for Basel as for United well now they find themselves in the same situation as 2005/06, after that failure it only took Fergie two seasons to reach the promised land i wonder has he the desire to give it one last try before retirement?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

gawa316

Any word on Vidic's injury?

Always happy when he is not in the utd team but wouldn't wish a serious (potential) injury that on him or anyone for that matter

ross4life

Quote from: gawa316 on December 08, 2011, 05:33:45 PM

Always happy when he is not in the utd team but wouldn't wish a serious (potential) injury that on him or anyone for that matter

Scan results still not in, Fergie said last night at least 3-4 months out, seeing Vidic so much pain i wouldn't be surprised if he's out for the season. Chelsea have transfer listed Alex he could be a quick fix.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

gawa316

Quote from: ross4life on December 08, 2011, 05:44:00 PM

Scan results still not in, Fergie said last night at least 3-4 months out, seeing Vidic so much pain i wouldn't be surprised if he's out for the season. Chelsea have transfer listed Alex he could be a quick fix.

Surely Jones or Smalling can be trusted to drop back in there into their best position?

ross4life

Quote from: gawa316 on December 08, 2011, 05:53:51 PM
Quote from: ross4life on December 08, 2011, 05:44:00 PM

Surely Jones or Smalling can be trusted to drop back in there into their best position?

Smalling could do a job as centre back seems to be his best position still have no idea about Jones only 19 & still trying to find his best position plus Rio is injured every second week so United need another experienced CB.

The Worker

Why did utd sign de gea in the summer when its obvious lindegaard is a better keeper?

surely that 20m could have been spent shoring up the middle of the field

Captain Obvious

Quote from: The Worker on December 08, 2011, 06:14:12 PM
Why did utd sign de gea in the summer when its obvious lindegaard is a better keeper?

surely that 20m could have been spent shoring up the middle of the field

Obvious? explain to your Captain.

gallsman

The patronising attitude of many United fans (not necessarily saying on here) and in the UK media towards Basel was shocking. They've been a pretty consisitent force from when they broke through 9/10 years ago - stopping Celtic qualifying and knocking Liverpool out in first group stage. In Shaqiri  they have one of the most sought after young players in Europe and Alex Frei has scored goals throughout his career.

Anyone overly surprised by last night's result after the first game is insane.

Forever Green

That injury to Vidic looked a bad one. My first thought when I saw how he got injured was that he wrecked his cruciate ligament. I highly doubt he will be back this season but suppose it could just be a twist. That United defence is fucked without him imo

Captain Obvious

Quote from: gallsman on December 08, 2011, 06:44:27 PM
The patronising attitude of many United fans (not necessarily saying on here) and in the UK media towards Basel was shocking. They've been a pretty consisitent force from when they broke through 9/10 years ago - stopping Celtic qualifying and knocking Liverpool out in first group stage. In Shaqiri  they have one of the most sought after young players in Europe and Alex Frei has scored goals throughout his career.

I saw on SKY only two years ago Basel finish bottom in the champions league group & to be fair nearly every Champions league team has sought after young players. Whatever way you dress it up it's insane that United with their champions league record didn't get out of that group.

EC Unique

Quote from: gallsman on December 08, 2011, 06:44:27 PM

There is an element of truth to that, but 2 things in the first half dictated the result in Utd terms. De Gea kicked the ball when he should have caught it and Rooney did fcuk all with the ball when he should have kicked it. If both players done what you would have expected them to do the Utd would be in the next round.

SLIGONIAN

"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"