Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Sad that it has come to this, but when he put it out there that a tell all interview was in the offing I'm pretty sure the wheels were in motion to move him on.

ETH has handled the situation pretty well as far as I can see, obviously we will never know the full truth but what can be seen from the outside I don't think he has done much wrong.

Better if he goes on now and has a great world cup and the club can move him out on January and everyone moves on.

trailer

Ronaldo has read the room so badly. Fan after fan and ex player after ex player rowing in behind EtH. He's ruined his legacy and reputation with Utd. What's more is his argument doesn't stack up. EtH made him captain last week even after his sub antics against Spurs. Goodbye and f**k off.

yellowcard

Should anyone really be surprised that he released this interview. Ronaldo has always been a narcissist and it was fitting that he sat down with Piers Morgan to do the interview. Two peas in a pod.

Ethan Tremblay

I think from Ronaldo's perspective, some of what he is saying is true, but going on TV and slating the club is certainly not the way to handle it. 

He was on the premier league team of the year, and I believe top goal scorer last season for the team and is now starting the bench.  To a degree, ETH has shown disrespect in the sense that he is using his age against him and not playing him.  I also think ETH is using Ronaldo as a crutch to beat his other players into line.     

The person aside, would any other team bench a player that made the top 11 in the league the previous season as well as finishing top goal scorer, probably not. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

imtommygunn

I don't think it's as simple as top scorer. There's a system of play - high press and all that stuff - which you can't really play with him in there. He's no doubt fantastic but is he enough to center your whole team around particularly when you can't develop a system of play and then he'll not be around for that much longer and you'll just have to go and change it.

nrico2006

Can't imagine that many fans or players would agree with Ronaldo.  If anything, Ten Hags decisions have been vindicated when you look at Ronaldo's impact on the field of play this season.  It's actually embarrassing from Ronaldo, really pathetic.

He will score goals if he was played in every game, but that won't result in wins as he basically leaves your team a man down every time.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Louther

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on November 14, 2022, 10:36:38 AM
I think from Ronaldo's perspective, some of what he is saying is true, but going on TV and slating the club is certainly not the way to handle it. 

He was on the premier league team of the year, and I believe top goal scorer last season for the team and is now starting the bench.  To a degree, ETH has shown disrespect in the sense that he is using his age against him and not playing him.  I also think ETH is using Ronaldo as a crutch to beat his other players into line.     

The person aside, would any other team bench a player that made the top 11 in the league the previous season as well as finishing top goal scorer, probably not.

Is that you Piers?  ;D ;D

Top scorer in a really poor team by Uniteds standards that got hammered by City and Liverpool plus struggled badly at times against ordinary teams. It was a poor side but goals aside he contributed very little and certainly not to what ETH is trying to build. Should he give Ronaldo games against big sides just to keep him happy or try and build a new culture and identity to his United side?

Time stands still for no man. And as great as player as he was, Ronaldo is not the main man any know. If he actually parked his ego (which may have made him the player he was), he may have plenty to offer but he looks like he has decided he should be No1 and efforts have dropped.

johnnycool

ETH evidently has been brought in to build Utd back up to be a serious team contending for the Premiership.

If you then hamstring him by having a club legend there who doesn't fit your model then the club has to back ETH, no doubt about it.

What did Ferguson do when Roy Keane had served his purpose?

Denn Forever

The new teenager looked exciting. 
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Ethan Tremblay

Quote from: Louther on November 14, 2022, 10:53:17 AM

Top scorer in a really poor team by Uniteds standards that got hammered by City and Liverpool plus struggled badly at times against ordinary teams. It was a poor side but goals aside he contributed very little and certainly not to what ETH is trying to build. Should he give Ronaldo games against big sides just to keep him happy or try and build a new culture and identity to his United side?

Time stands still for no man. And as great as player as he was, Ronaldo is not the main man any know. If he actually parked his ego (which may have made him the player he was), he may have plenty to offer but he looks like he has decided he should be No1 and efforts have dropped.

Aye I get all that and they are all 100% spot on points, how Ronaldo plays does not suit ETH system.  Again the only point I was trying to make was that he had the accolades last season to prove he was doing a job for United.  Unless there is a serious Ronaldo bias in the league, he wouldn't have been voted as one of the 11 best players. 

Anyways, he is a done docket now as far as United are concerned.  No excuse for slating the club and their setup. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on November 14, 2022, 11:18:38 AM
Quote from: Louther on November 14, 2022, 10:53:17 AM

Aye I get all that and they are all 100% spot on points, how Ronaldo plays does not suit ETH system.  Again the only point I was trying to make was that he had the accolades last season to prove he was doing a job for United.  Unless there is a serious Ronaldo bias in the league, he wouldn't have been voted as one of the 11 best players. 

Anyways, he is a done docket now as far as United are concerned.  No excuse for slating the club and their setup.

Agreed, in any form of work if a employee did this then they would be sacked..

He'll probably top score at the World cup now
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Armamike

A sad way for him to leave the club.  There's a lot of truth in the old saying, never go back.

Where fans stand on the value of having the present day Ronaldo in the team depends on how they view football.  Those who love him and get a kick out of him scoring will be naturally disappointed he doesn't play.  Anybody who gets the concept of the team and the sum of its parts will see the bigger picture.
That's just, like your opinion man.

rodney trotter

It's a bit of pattern with Ronaldo's last few clubs. He didn't need to leave Madrid, but felt they didn't praise him enough. After he left Juventus a few of the Juve players like Bonucci said they were happy, as Ronaldo was above the team.

Maroon Manc

Ronaldo just making sure he gets his move in January, its not the right way to go about it but he doesn't trust the Glazers and don't blame him for that, he was probably told to behave and he'll get the move in January but this interview makes sure he does; He's now made it impossible for Ten Hag to managed him.

Ronaldo's performances are a long way of last seasons, he's finished at the really top level based on what we've seen.

Ronaldo has started in most of United's poor performances in the league this season, anytime United have played well he didn't start and certainly no coincidence as he's bringing nothing to the team; If's he's not scoring he's not contributing.

Cunny Funt

Last season is in the past you deal in the present.

His stats this season.
Goals 3 (1 penalty)  assists 2 (both in the Europa league) games 16 goals per 90 minutes 0.26. minutes per goal 350    Total Shots 42   goal accuracy 7%   shot accuracy 31%

In summary most teams would bench a player with those type of stats.

The only truth that I see in  that interview was the lack of improvements/investment the owners have put into the club in terms of facilities since he left. The club's infrastructure has come in for criticism for a number of years so no "exclusive" there but improvements are in pipeline or be it long overdue.

A new manager trying to rebuild a team shouldn't have to deal with such nonsense and in the main he's handled it fairly well.  Ronaldo didn't feature in the last two games because of some "illness" i presume the real reason is because of this known interview and suspended again. 

Ronaldo airing his views with the scummy Sun and a gobshite like Pier Morgan tells you all you need to know about his current mind set.