Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gawa316

Utd's form has fallen off a cliff since Maguire got injured...certainly shows the effect not having your best defender in your team can have

BennyCake

Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 18, 2021, 10:51:02 PM
Another lacklustre performance tonight, it remains to be seen if the recent performances was a case of players minding themselves before the up coming final or its their true form at the moment, if the latter United won't be winning that final. I'll be surprised if Maguire makes it and neither Bailly, Tuanzebe are like for like replacements. Fred, McTominay both picked up injuries tonight and Solskjaer said both are doubts for the final now.

That point against Fulham along with Leicester losing has secured a 2nd place finish for United. TBH I thought 4th at best this season United would get with the none of targets brought in during the transfer window and slow start to this season.

I don't think many people thought Liverpool would finish outside the top 2. Lampard was on borrowed time and Mourinho well past it, so I thought United possibly third because Chelsea and Tottenham were/are unstable. Poor showings from other teams have sort of flattered Uniteds league achievements this season.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: gawa316 on May 18, 2021, 11:09:16 PM
Utd's form has fallen off a cliff since Maguire got injured...certainly shows the effect not having your best defender in your team can have

I wouldn't have said that was correct before but it may be right, slab head has been a liability at times but his replacements haven't been cohesive.

I'd still rather have a better established partner for him, I also doubt he'll be fit for the final.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 18, 2021, 11:22:43 PM

I wouldn't have said that was correct before but it may be right, slab head has been a liability at times but his replacements haven't been cohesive.

I'd still rather have a better established partner for him, I also doubt he'll be fit for the final.

I don't think it is as much to do with Maguire being absent as it is to watching themselves. Hard to get to the intensity required when there is nothing to play for, top 4 secured was the goal and they got that.

The starting team last night looked like what he is going to go with for the final, seems he doesn't trust Baily which makes you wonder why there was a contract extension.

Time to get the season dusted and look to the summer, lots of work ahead for Ole and will be interesting to see if he gets the backing that the squad needs to be able to mount a challenge on a consistent basis.

In a strange way the pandemic is actually going to help some of the challengers, especially Liverpool. I would have thought they would have been looking at losing one or two of their main men in a normal year but with Barca and Real in such bad shape they arent as attractive maybe as previously.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 18, 2021, 11:22:43 PM

Heard on the radio last night before game on way home there is no chance he plays in final by the way he's leaning on the crutches. It was on talksport. Said from what he seen it might be more a race for Euros.

Louther

United stumbling towards the line but their work in the league long done and all eyes on Europa league final.

On the protests, after going to such lengths for the Liverpool games was it a case of going into the game last night, waving a few green and gold scarves and banners again and that was it? I thought from last few weeks that a more organised protest would have been apparent. Or it a case that after season that was in it and only game supporters can get to, last home game of season that it was left to support team and players which is fair enough.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Louther on May 19, 2021, 09:19:11 AM
United stumbling towards the line but their work in the league long done and all eyes on Europa league final.

On the protests, after going to such lengths for the Liverpool games was it a case of going into the game last night, waving a few green and gold scarves and banners again and that was it? I thought from last few weeks that a more organised protest would have been apparent. Or it a case that after season that was in it and only game supporters can get to, last home game of season that it was left to support team and players which is fair enough.

I think they should have burnt down the stand and made a real statement  ::)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Armagh18

Or the fact they're nothing to play for? Still nowhere near good enough though!

Louther

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 19, 2021, 09:27:17 AM

Well they did stop a game been played that they weren't at.

Been noticeable protests before - Ireland threw tennis balls onto field, walk outs, not going in first place.

United have been here before and not enough was done previously. It seemed this time their was a real desire to make an impact and new season might bring that but was interested to see if was any organised supporter input to make the protests as they were on the low level it been last game of season.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Louther on May 19, 2021, 09:38:44 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 19, 2021, 09:27:17 AM

Well they did stop a game been played that they weren't at.

Been noticeable protests before - Ireland threw tennis balls onto field, walk outs, not going in first place.

United have been here before and not enough was done previously. It seemed this time their was a real desire to make an impact and new season might bring that but was interested to see if was any organised supporter input to make the protests as they were on the low level it been last game of season.

The Glaziers have been at the club a long time and have been hated by the fan base from the start, they are still here and with any amount of protests they seem to still want to be involved with the club. Their decision to call it a day will be a financial one and not based on how many people dislike them.

Like I said, unless they were going to burn down the stadium its not going to make a difference

NAG1

I wouldn't imagine the fact that he is still on crutches is anything but a bad sign for the Europa final.

More likely that he is in a race for the Euros, it would be very disappointing on a personal level for him to miss the final and he doesnt deserve too but that is football at times.

Armagh18

13 years since Moscow. What a fecking team that was! Best PL side ever, should have had a treble that year really. Likes of Fletcher, Nani, Anderson(he was good then), Giggs and Park not even starting.

Taylor

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 21, 2021, 03:45:21 PM
13 years since Moscow. What a fecking team that was! Best PL side ever, should have had a treble that year really. Likes of Fletcher, Nani, Anderson(he was good then), Giggs and Park not even starting.

Best PL team ever and you are saying those highlighted didnt even start.

I wouldnt like to think they would be near the best PL team ever

snoopdog

I did a day trip to Moscow. Some trip though found a bar in moscow full of reds then the underground out was an experience. What a team, only for Barca greatest ever side they wouldve won at least another. Was behind the goal when Terry slipped on his arse. The airport on the way home was like a cattle market,  we just got out before a big thunderstorm hit and all flights were delayed.

Armagh18

Quote from: Taylor on May 21, 2021, 03:53:07 PM

Best PL team ever and you are saying those highlighted didnt even start.

I wouldnt like to think they would be near the best PL team ever
All really good squad options at their best. Nani for about 6 months in 2011? was as good as anyone. Fletcher criminally underrated as well.

And yes, that team would make wee boys out of the City team of today and the Liverpool of the last few years. Only team that comes close is the '99 team.

That was a serious Chelsea team around that time as well.