Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: ashman on November 04, 2016, 12:23:49 AM
Quote from: Asal Mor on November 03, 2016, 10:28:39 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 01, 2016, 10:04:29 AM
Calling £20 m a wage is nuts. It is not a workers game. The stars operate on a different level.
Heard on Off the Ball that the average player wage in the Premiership is now 43,000(not sure if that's sterling or euro) a week. They also spoke about the fact that Everton became only the second club, along with Chelsea, to pay the living wage rather than the minimum wage to all their employees.

The living wage is £7.85 an hour and the minimum wage is £6.50 an hour.

Modern Soccer is utterly debased .
I am not surprised fans are turning away
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVyS9JwtFoQ

stew

Quote from: screenexile on November 04, 2016, 09:04:11 AM

The Glazers have done nothing but throw money at this team, this is not on them, the job was too big for Notes and LVG was gettin ready to retire and did the worst job of his professional career, along comes mourinho and as of now the team are losing games left and right, he is going to need time to get rid of the dead weight in the squad and bring in his own players.
It will take time and money but Mourinho is a winner, I am actually more hopeful now than I was a month ago, Mourinho is an angry manager and I  have a feeling things are going to get a lot better going forward.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

AZOffaly

bring in his own players.

What players do you think he wants? I think he needs to get the players he has playing in their proper positions, and playing for each other and for him. It's hard to hear that he doesn't have good players when you look at the squad Man United have.

Jeepers Creepers

Needs to gamble and play Rashford as the main striker.

imtommygunn

When mourinho loses his players or the crowd I am not sure he has ever turned it round...

Interesting debate when I was watching the scores on BT Sport between Jenas and Savage on Pogba.

Jenas says mourinho is completely misusing him and he should be at the front of a midfield 3 behind the strikers and in a more free role with Carrick in the two behind. He says Mourinho is completely playing him in the wrong position. I would say he's probably right as your man hasn't become a bad player overnight.

It will be interesting to see if he turns it round. I am not sure he has it in him. i don't like man united but I think if they were good it would be better for the english league and at the minute that looks a bit off.

gawa316

If you play Pogba there then what do you do with Mata, Mickyryan and to a lesser extent Rooney etc? Makes you wonder what Maureen's thought process was over the summer spending 120 odd million on players to play behind the striker, when he already had a very capable one in Mata. Surely other areas needed looked at first like right back, holding/controlling midfielder.

screenexile

I hear there's fierce competition for Utd's EPL Goal of the month competition for October... who are we going for lads??!!

;D ;D ;D

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: screenexile on November 04, 2016, 04:00:37 PM
I hear there's fierce competition for Utd's EPL Goal of the month competition for October... who are we going for lads??!!

;D ;D ;D

I hear Mata scored a cracker in training,  up there with his warm up nutmeg😂

Vote for the winner here!

https://twitter.com/paddypower/status/793431941823553536?s=09

seafoid

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on November 04, 2016, 11:52:19 AM
Part of the problem is the social media age of today and the overreaction that goes with it. The media both feed it and feed off it which creates an ever decreasing circle.

Mourinho is only 10 league games into the job and there is a huge kerfuffle to brand him a flop. A few weeks ago Conte was supposed to be a failure at Chelsea and Guardiola at City. People may not like Mourinho's ways, but he lifted the title (pulling up) in May 2015 with Chelsea. 18 months later he's a dinosaur and the game has apparently moved on and left him behind. This is further evidence of the appeal to novelty fallacy that goes with the social media age.

Now he isn't even big enough for the job. You'd have to wonder who could possibly meet the criteria at this point.

The Moyes and Van Gaal era saw a lot of ex-Ferguson players and staff pushed out too quickly and somewhere the winning mentality got diluted. Now there is a squad where you have a lot of newish players who aren't sure of themselves, never mind being confident enough to impose a collective winning mentality.

A couple of years of stability and a couple of strategic signings to strengthen the team should see a team ready to challenge for the title again.
In the last 18 months Liverpool and Spurs have turned into fairly decent sides thanks to good managers.
Man Utd have floundered. Other big clubs like AC Milan are finding the going tough as well.
Mourinho's record 2004-10 is good but not so good afterwards . He left both Real and Chelsea in less than impressive circumstances

Teams can win leagues and then fall apart, as Man Utd know. I wish it would happen to Kilkenny.

The Stallion

Liverpool don't have a good manager. Klopp is incompetent.

seafoid

55 players have either joined or left since the end of Fergie time. Not even Galway hurlers are that bad.

seafoid

I dunno about social media's role in the chaos either.
Man Utd have a problem with succession planning, it would seem

Look at what happened after St Matt of Busby (Fergie like) retired in the 70s

Busby continued as manager for one more year after this success, leaving his managerial duties to club trainer Wilf McGuinness. (Moyes) . McGuinness struggled in his new post, however, and Busby was convinced to return for the second half of the 1970–71 season.[4]

However, he retired from football permanently that summer, and was succeeded that summer by Frank O'Farrell. O'Farrell's stay was short-lived, though, as his inability to control George Best's extravagances forced the board to sack him with three years still to run on his contract. (LVG)

O'Farrell's replacement was to be Scotland coach, Tommy Docherty. Docherty left the Scotland job and his first task at United was to keep the club in the top flight. He managed it once, but he was unable to pull it off again and the club was relegated in 1973–74. (Maureen)

They bounced straight back up the following season, though, and in their first season back in the top flight, the team cruised to a third-place finish and yet another FA Cup final. The next year, they went one better, beating Liverpool in the final to claim his first and only trophy at Old Trafford. It was soon discovered, however, that Docherty was having an affair with the wife of the club's physiotherapist, and he was immediately fired,[5] replaced by Queens Park Rangers' manager Dave Sexton. (????) 

stew

Quote from: The Stallion on November 04, 2016, 05:02:56 PM
Liverpool don't have a good manager. Klopp is incompetent.

Righteo, I wish they would sack Mourinho and he would walk his ass into his job.

I think he is brilliant and I have no love for Liverpool at all, and if Ferguson gushes about him he must be good, and he knows a million times more than anyone on here.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

The Stallion

Genuine lol at:

"if Ferguson gushes about him he must be good, and he knows a million times more than anyone on here"

The same Ferguson who thought Moyes was a great manager  lol.

Boycey