Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: mb80b60 on November 03, 2014, 04:13:50 PM
Quote from: screenexile on November 03, 2014, 03:12:21 PM
All this nonsense about 'defensive injuries' as if once these are cleared up all will be rosy . . . there's only really Evans missing and he's hardly Vincent Kompany!!

United fans have been going around for years lamenting City's money ruining football yet the most interesting stat from yesterday was:

Total Cost of City Starting XI: £173.9.4m

Total Cost of Utd Starting XI: £233.4m

United finished yesterday's game with a back four of Valencia Carrick McNair Shaw.  Of course they have bad defensive injuries.

Rafael, Evans, Rojo, Jones all injured. When United are already short on numbers defensively it makes a big difference.

I'm sure LVG will look to strengthen his centre back options as soon as he can, hopefully in January, but if not then I'd expect a couple to come in next summer.

Evans, Rafael and Rojo all played against Leicester . . .

mb80b60

Quote from: screenexile on November 03, 2014, 04:17:40 PM
Quote from: mb80b60 on November 03, 2014, 04:13:50 PM
Quote from: screenexile on November 03, 2014, 03:12:21 PM
All this nonsense about 'defensive injuries' as if once these are cleared up all will be rosy . . . there's only really Evans missing and he's hardly Vincent Kompany!!

United fans have been going around for years lamenting City's money ruining football yet the most interesting stat from yesterday was:

Total Cost of City Starting XI: £173.9.4m

Total Cost of Utd Starting XI: £233.4m

United finished yesterday's game with a back four of Valencia Carrick McNair Shaw.  Of course they have bad defensive injuries.

Rafael, Evans, Rojo, Jones all injured. When United are already short on numbers defensively it makes a big difference.

I'm sure LVG will look to strengthen his centre back options as soon as he can, hopefully in January, but if not then I'd expect a couple to come in next summer.

Evans, Rafael and Rojo all played against Leicester . . .

Correct, and only one of them played against City.  They've had horrendous injuries and the only one who has been fit all season is Rojo, who was new to the league and is now out for three months.

Off the top of my head I think LVG has used the following as defenders in the league so far:
Valencia
Rafael
Keane
Thorpe
McNair
Blackett
Rojo
Shaw
Carrick
Jones
Smalling
Evans

None of those are world class defenders, but a consistent run of games together would help. 

ballinaman

Jesus f**king titty Christ...the Manchester is blue argument still going on here? FFS

Brave lads the city "firm" are...the blazin squad they are called ::)

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=736923803021688

NSFW

AZOffaly

Yes. FFP legislates against the Sugar Daddies, in theory, but it does become a bit self perpetuating. The huge clubs like Man United, Real Madrid,Barcelona , etc (and hopefully Liverpool when the new Anfield upgrade is done) can leverage big gates and more importantly big overseas market shares to become FFP compliant, even when spending huge amounts on transfers and wages.

Small clubs can never aspire to that, and they will always be behind, and thus the gap will widen even further.

My own preference would be for a wages salary cap. Let transfers be free market if that's what you want, but cap wages at a limit per division. Hard to see how this would be possible in so many different countries and governing bodies, but it would help that gap remain manageable I think.

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

FLL

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on October 30, 2014, 09:28:33 AM
Quote from: beer baron on October 29, 2014, 09:46:08 PM
City beaten again  :o Is this the best or worst time to be facing them  :-\

after the great 1-1 victory for united at weekend, this game should be wee buns.

Same could be said for Liverpool against Chelsea this weekend after the great 1-0 defeat last night

AZOffaly

Quote from: FLL on November 05, 2014, 04:35:37 PM
Quote from: Carmen Stateside on October 30, 2014, 09:28:33 AM
Quote from: beer baron on October 29, 2014, 09:46:08 PM
City beaten again  :o Is this the best or worst time to be facing them  :-\

after the great 1-1 victory for united at weekend, this game should be wee buns.

Same could be said for Liverpool against Chelsea this weekend after the great 1-0 defeat last night

Hey, that was a 0-1 win!!

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Farrandeelin

Utd any good today? A win is a win at least.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

GJL

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 08, 2014, 04:55:21 PM

Poor enough by all accounts. Took Mata coming off the bench to get a deflected goal to get the win. 3 points but very flat going forward. Hard to understand given the attacking talent on the pitch.

rodney trotter

No, an ugly game. Palace set up for a point and were doing well, deflected shot by Mata got the 3 pts.

ballinaman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 08, 2014, 04:55:21 PM
McNair was decent, great potential. Shaw my MOM.Mata made a difference when it mattered or mata-d. Apologies... 8)
International break should get Evans back at least.

StGallsGAA

Going in the right direction but a million miles off the standard being set by Chelsea. Desperately need physical
presence in MF.