Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gawa316

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on October 29, 2014, 02:42:11 PM
well he scored 20 goals in 49 PL appearances for chelsea & bolton before coming to Liverpool.
He also hada very god scoring record when Suarez was suspended

Plus he was played out wide for Chelsea and not in his perferred position. Bit like Welbeck I guess. When played up top and not injured he scores goals

mb80b60

Quote from: gawa316 on October 29, 2014, 03:42:25 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on October 29, 2014, 02:42:11 PM
well he scored 20 goals in 49 PL appearances for chelsea & bolton before coming to Liverpool.
He also hada very god scoring record when Suarez was suspended

Plus he was played out wide for Chelsea and not in his perferred position. Bit like Welbeck I guess. When played up top and not injured he scores goals

Sturridge is undoubtedly a good player, but a lot of Liverpool's current problems will still exist when he comes back.

muppet

Quote from: thewobbler on October 28, 2014, 09:15:26 PM
Quote from: Shrewdness on October 28, 2014, 07:33:36 PM
Where do we see Falcao fitting into things at the moment?... I get uneasy when i see people excitedly anticipating the return of Michael Carrick. It's only my opinion, but it's been quite a while since Carrick has left his best form behind him. A bit too ponderous on the ball for my liking.

Michael Carrick is currently enjoying the benefits of what I call the Piece of the Jigsaw effect.

Basically, when a team suffers a dip in form, supporters look for any reason, sensible or otherwise, as to why this is happening. Before long a group of them will latch upon the absence of a missing player. The longer this player is absent, the greater the myth will evolve that surround his abilities and his importance to the team.

Eventually the messiah returns, and over the course of a few months, when it becomes obvious that this player does a lot of very average things along with their sprinkling of good, that same group of fans distance themselves from their previous state of mind.

Meanwhile, another long term absentee assumes the mantle of 'the missing piece of the jigsaw'.

---

Carrick was a very useful player in his day. Not world class, but not a million miles away either. He lacked the goals and assists of the really top players.

Having already lost pace and now coming back from injuries, my guess is that he will about as well equipped to babysit a defence left exposed and frightened by United's five man attack, as Noddy Holder might be.

I have no idea what you are talking about, but it is clear that you need to get Noddy Holder fit and in the team as quick as possible.
MWWSI 2017

beer baron

City beaten again  :o Is this the best or worst time to be facing them  :-\

rodney trotter

They were very poor tonight, Silva went off injured too. Toure looked like he got a knock too, but probaly will be ok.

beer baron

What about our old boy Obertan? Probably the best game he's played in a few years. He's not a bag of bones anymore

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: beer baron on October 29, 2014, 09:46:08 PM
City beaten again  :o Is this the best or worst time to be facing them  :-\

after the great 1-1 victory for united at weekend, this game should be wee buns.

pullhard

did kun aguero get a ban?

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

pullhard

Quote from: Minder on October 30, 2014, 10:56:29 AM
Quote from: pullhard on October 30, 2014, 10:34:45 AM
did kun aguero get a ban?

No

That's a shocker. Was certain that was 3 games out. Have the FA gone soft?
What about the lad who took out the QPR keeper?

Maroon Manc

Quote from: thewobbler on October 28, 2014, 09:15:26 PM
Quote from: Shrewdness on October 28, 2014, 07:33:36 PM
Where do we see Falcao fitting into things at the moment?... I get uneasy when i see people excitedly anticipating the return of Michael Carrick. It's only my opinion, but it's been quite a while since Carrick has left his best form behind him. A bit too ponderous on the ball for my liking.

Michael Carrick is currently enjoying the benefits of what I call the Piece of the Jigsaw effect.

Basically, when a team suffers a dip in form, supporters look for any reason, sensible or otherwise, as to why this is happening. Before long a group of them will latch upon the absence of a missing player. The longer this player is absent, the greater the myth will evolve that surround his abilities and his importance to the team.

Eventually the messiah returns, and over the course of a few months, when it becomes obvious that this player does a lot of very average things along with their sprinkling of good, that same group of fans distance themselves from their previous state of mind.

Meanwhile, another long term absentee assumes the mantle of 'the missing piece of the jigsaw'.

---

Carrick was a very useful player in his day. Not world class, but not a million miles away either. He lacked the goals and assists of the really top players.

Having already lost pace and now coming back from injuries, my guess is that he will about as well equipped to babysit a defence left exposed and frightened by United's five man attack, as Noddy Holder might be.

Carrick was outstanding from 2006 to 2009, average for the next few years and outstanding against for the 2012/13 season. He was average last season but who wasn't. I think he'd do a great job in the role Blind has at the moment, it would play to his strengths, his positional play and passing is better than Blinds. Blind has done ok so far but I still think ultimately he's going to be a utility player.

NAG1

People keep slating Carrick and I will admit that I am a fan but the fact is the team play better when Carrick is in the team and is in form.

Actually think that Blind could become a better player working with Carrick day to day, Blind has more pace and is good positionally has an eye for a pass. Carrick has that assuredness on the ball and very rarely gives it away which is crucial in that role of holding midfielder.

nrico2006

Quote from: NAG1 on October 31, 2014, 10:40:29 AM
People keep slating Carrick and I will admit that I am a fan but the fact is the team play better when Carrick is in the team and is in form.

Actually think that Blind could become a better player working with Carrick day to day, Blind has more pace and is good positionally has an eye for a pass. Carrick has that assuredness on the ball and very rarely gives it away which is crucial in that role of holding midfielder.

But the problem with Carrick as a holding midfielder is that he lacks keys attributes such as physicality, tackling ability and tenacity.  These are all required to excel in this role.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

NAG1

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 31, 2014, 10:59:11 AM

But the problem with Carrick as a holding midfielder is that he lacks keys attributes such as physicality, tackling ability and tenacity.  These are all required to excel in this role.

Nicro

I understand what you are saying but this I think is a misconception.

Carrick's positional play is of such a level he intercepts alot of passes before they become dangerous he covers the right areas and snuffs a lot of danger out before it happens. keeps the ball doesnt give it away.

This means he isnt diving into tackles because he doesnt need too. He is a different player to these holding midfield like catermole and his ilk that run around like headless chickens with no idea of positional play.

Its all opinions but as I said I am a Carrick fan.

TabClear

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 31, 2014, 10:59:11 AM

[/b]

I think you are underselling Carrick. Xabi Alonso to me is one of the best holding midfielders of the last ten years and I do not know that you woudl say he excels in any of those attributes. Like NAg said, what he does have is great vision and reading of the game. Carrick, while not as good as Alonso, is excellent at what he does. He is not a holding, tackling midfielder like Makele, Mascherano but he does not need to be.