Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

under the bar

Quoteare United fans making bold predictions about next season already!
I hope ye get as many correct as ye did at the start of this season!

I doubt too many Liverpool fans or anyone else for that matter will have predicted the title to go to Anfield either if it happens.   There were a few factors that need to be taken into the equation tho.  The whole Hillsboro 25 years thing has undoubtedly lifted the teams performance by at least 15% in the run in.  Also having played 20% fewer games at than all 7 teams who finished above them last season gives a 20% more stamina for the run in.  These factors won't figure next season so they'll have 15-20 fewer points on the board next year as a result.   It's how the summer signings improve the squad that will tell the story then.     

J70

When Liverpool finished last season on a great, extended run of form, we were assured it was all down to them playing with no pressure as they'd nothing to play for. What will the excuse be next season if that form continues, 18 months later?

StGallsGAA

QuoteWhen Liverpool finished last season on a great, extended run of form, we were assured it was all down to them playing with no pressure as they'd nothing to play for. What will the excuse be next season if that form continues, 18 months later?

If Liverpool do happen to retain the league title next year then they will undoubtedly be able to claim to be a 'top team' once again, rather than a one-trick pony which has jumped fewer fences than the other horses to win its first big race.   

Shrewdness

Don't worry about Liverpool winning the title. It will be one of those one hit wonders, where every now and again, an unfashionable club wins it. It was Leeds in 1992, Blackburn in 1995, Man City in 2012, and Liverpool in 2014. When we get a top manager for whom top players will be desperate to play, get rid of the deadwood in the squad, United's domination of the English game will resume..

deiseach

laoislad

Quote from: Shrewdness on April 21, 2014, 08:00:06 PM
If Moyes gets the sack, and when his replacement is announced, it will be a bigger story on a worldwide scale than Liverpool winning a rare Premier League title. ;D

Source?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Captain Obvious

The appointment of David Moyes has sent Manchester United back to the form of the mid eighties it could take years before they are title challengers again.

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: Shrewdness on April 21, 2014, 08:48:23 PM
Don't worry about Liverpool winning the title. It will be one of those one hit wonders, where every now and again, an unfashionable club wins it. It was Leeds in 1992, Blackburn in 1995, Man City in 2012, and Liverpool in 2014. When we get a top manager for whom top players will be desperate to play, get rid of the deadwood in the squad, United's domination of the English game will resume..

thought youd have been on here sooner, condemning manutd supporters actions yesterday, or calling for condemnation from the rest.

must be great up there looking down on us all

J70

Quote from: StGallsGAA on April 21, 2014, 08:41:26 PM
QuoteWhen Liverpool finished last season on a great, extended run of form, we were assured it was all down to them playing with no pressure as they'd nothing to play for. What will the excuse be next season if that form continues, 18 months later?

If Liverpool retain the league title next year then they will undoubtedly be able to claim to be a 'top team' once again, rather than a one-trick pony which has jumped fewer fences than the other horses to win its first big race.   

Liverpool fans have just been enjoying this. Other fans are the ones who are desperate to qualify and downplay what Rodgers has achieved in the last 18 months, culminating in this serious championship challenge. I've seen nothing, so far, to suggest that Liverpool will fall back after this, which is not to say they'll retain the title, should they win it. I don't think there will be too many successful title defenses at all in the next few seasons, given the level of competition.

Armamike

Quote from: EC Unique on April 21, 2014, 08:13:31 PM
Quote from: Shrewdness on April 21, 2014, 08:00:06 PM
If Moyes gets the sack, and when his replacement is announced, it will be a bigger story on a worldwide scale than Liverpool winning a rare Premier League title. ;D

Was thinking exactly the same earlier. All the ABUs are annoyed he is not staying. I remembered been pissed off when Woy and King Kenny were sent packing.

If you think Liverpool winning the title this year would not be a big story you are seriously misguided.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Shrewdness

Liverpool's title win will be big news for it's rarity and novelty value.

clarshack

it's all over the internet that moyes is to be sacked, thought there would be plenty of discussion here about it...

Tony Baloney

Quote from: clarshack on April 21, 2014, 09:43:22 PM
it's all over the internet that moyes is to be sacked, thought there would be plenty of discussion here about it...
No, no, no the possibility that Liverpool might win the League is of much more consequence to a Man Utdfan than the potential sacking of a manager they have been crying about all season...

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: under the bar on April 21, 2014, 08:31:46 PM
Quoteare United fans making bold predictions about next season already!
I hope ye get as many correct as ye did at the start of this season!

I doubt too many Liverpool fans or anyone else for that matter will have predicted the title to go to Anfield either if it happens.   There were a few factors that need to be taken into the equation tho.  The whole Hillsboro 25 years thing has undoubtedly lifted the teams performance by at least 15% in the run in.  Also having played 20% fewer games at than all 7 teams who finished above them last season gives a 20% more stamina for the run in.  These factors won't figure next season so they'll have 15-20 fewer points on the board next year as a result.   It's how the summer signings improve the squad that will tell the story then.   

Do u really think that playing 20% less games = 20% more stamina?

And u think that Liverpool would have lost 5-7 games more if they were in Europe?

I'm being pretty fast and loose with the word "think"
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

rodney trotter

It will be a 10 million pay off from the 6 year deal, not 38 million as Utd weren't in the Top 4 as the clause in the contract. Nothing wrong with 10 million.

Gary Neville's reaction about Moyes https://t.co/NBXi26NzcW