Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

I'm hoping United get Chelsea or Dortmund. I think it is possible United could live with those two with a bit of luck and the workrate they showed last night. Evra is out for the next game so something will have to be done at LB but it couldn't be worse in a defensive sense than having Evra there.

I saw somewhere (maybe here) that Liverpool were 37 points off top in 2005 and Chelsea were 24 points off top in 2011 when they won. United are 18 off top now. However, the premier league is now a weaker league and another difference with those two teams is you couldn't see United defending well enough to be in a position where they only need to nick a goal or two to go through. Strange things happen but I'd rate United's chances at about 5%, bookies odds look right.

Nothing that happens changes the Moyes situation. From day 1 he wasn't up to it, nothing will change that. Gives me no joy to say it.

Thought Kenny Cunningham was spot on last night. The hysteria about "how bad" United's squad is has got out of hand. Talk of needing 10/11 new players is rubbish. 4/5 are needed and will be hard got. Some of the players labelled as "crap" are at worst decent. When they won the league last year they hugely overachieved. I believe they are seriously underachieving at present. Their true leve is somewhere in between which isn't good enough granted.

Puckoon

Quote from: EC Unique on March 20, 2014, 02:09:39 PM
Random fact. nonsense without thinking.

David Moyes has won more Champions league games this season than City have in their entire history.

United have won 5 games this season

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2014/clubs/club=52682/

I'm not going to look into the other 3 seasons of Champions league appearances by City - but they have also won 5 matches this year.

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2014/clubs/club=52919/index.html

AZOffaly

Puckoon

Well City aint ever set the CL alight, but to suggest that they've won less than 5 games (including group games against at least one whipping boy /group/year) and present it as gospel is.... interesting

BennyHarp

Quote from: Puckoon on March 20, 2014, 03:11:14 PM
Well City aint ever set the CL alight, but to suggest that they've won less than 5 games (including group games against at least one whipping boy /group/year) and present it as gospel is.... interesting

I seem to remember them beating Villareal a few years ago?
That was never a square ball!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Puckoon on March 20, 2014, 03:00:36 PM

David Moyes has won more Champions league games this season than City have in their entire history.

I'm not going to look into the other 3 seasons of Champions league appearances by City - but they have also won 5 matches this year.

Bubble burst again, tut tut ;D will this ever end? 

Roll on tomorrow, Real written all over it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

J70

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 20, 2014, 03:00:04 PM
I'm hoping United get Chelsea or Dortmund. I think it is possible United could live with those two with a bit of luck and the workrate they showed last night. Evra is out for the next game so something will have to be done at LB but it couldn't be worse in a defensive sense than having Evra there.

I saw somewhere (maybe here) that Liverpool were 37 points off top in 2005 and Chelsea were 24 points off top in 2011 when they won. United are 18 off top now. However, the premier league is now a weaker league and another difference with thosee two teams is you couldn't see United defending well enough to be in a position where they only need to nick a goal or two to go through. Strange things happen but I'd rate United's chances at about 5%, bookies odds look right.

Nothing that happens changes the Moyes situation. From day 1 he wasn't up to it, nothing will change that. Gives me no joy to say it.

Thought Kenny Cunningham was spot on last night. The hysteria about "how bad" United's squad is has got out of hand. Talk of needing 10/11 new players is rubbish. 4/5 are needed and will be hard got. Some of the players labelled as "crap" are at worst decent. When they won the league last year they hugely overachieved. I believe they are seriously underachieving at present. Their true leve is somewhere in between which isn't good enough granted

I don't know if the Premier League is weaker now, but the Champions League, AC Milan aside, didn't have a group of teams like Barcelona, Real and Bayern (maybe PSG?) who were streets ahead of everyone else the year Liverpool won it. Could make a similar argument about Chelsea's win. Most people will be shocked if one of those three don't win it.

Captain Obvious

I'm hoping United get Chelsea or Dortmund. I think it is possible United could live with those two with a bit of luck and the workrate they showed last night.

Mourinho against Moyes would be tactical mismatch. Borussia Dortmund are injury hit and aren't in the form of last season. The best chance they have of reaching the semi finals is drawing Manchester United.

stew

Quote from: Captain Obvious on March 20, 2014, 04:33:08 PM
I'm hoping United get Chelsea or Dortmund. I think it is possible United could live with those two with a bit of luck and the workrate they showed last night.

Mourinho against Moyes would be tactical mismatch. Borussia Dortmund are injury hit and aren't in the form of last season. The best chance they have of reaching the semi finals is drawing Manchester United.

He kind of got it right last night did he not???

Josie gets too much in the way of plaudits, his tactics are to score and shut up shop, hardly makes him Pep now does it?

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: Puckoon on March 20, 2014, 03:00:36 PM

Captain Obvious

Quote from: stew on March 20, 2014, 06:02:54 PM

He kind of got it right last night did he not???

Josie gets too much in the way of plaudits, his tactics are to score and shut up shop, hardly makes him Pep now does it?
Played against the worst team left in the competition last night. Mourinho has won league titles in Portugal,Spain,Italy,England and he won the Champions league twice with different clubs. His record speaks for itself if his tactics are so simple then why haven't others copied him?

orangeman

Everton manager Roberto Martinez says defender Seamus Coleman will not be leaving Goodison Park and is part of the club's new generation.

Reports suggested Manchester United's former Everton manager David Moyes was planning a £15m move  for the 25-year-old Republic of Ireland international

Billys Boots

It's Munchen, first leg in OT!!
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

rodney trotter

Full draw

Champions League Quarter Finals:

Barcelona vs Atletico Madrid
Real Madrid vs Borussia Dortmund
PSG vs Chelsea
Man Utd vs Bayern Munich

AZOffaly