Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brick

Quote from: orangeman on March 20, 2014, 10:53:51 AM
Quote from: The Brick on March 20, 2014, 10:42:29 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on March 20, 2014, 10:41:22 AM
I don't think any corner is turned, it breaks my hard but I would have taken a defeat last night if it had meant Moyes going sooner.  I also believe that United have a decent chance of winning the CL, as mentioned its cup football and United still have the players to win games.  There have been less likely winners over the years such as Porto, Chelsea and Liverpool.  The best side in Europe doesn't always win the Champions League.

SO would you still want Moyes out if utd won the CL??

Did the Tinkerman get kicked out by Chelski after getting to the final of the Champions league or maybe he won it and still got shown the door ?

Again one of the worst things they could have done. Getting rid of the man that won the biggest honor in European football in half a season. Majority of chelsea fans will tell u it was wrong move

johnneycool

Quote from: NAG1 on March 20, 2014, 10:44:15 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 20, 2014, 10:37:18 AM
Quote from: The Brick on March 20, 2014, 10:34:28 AM
The start of the comeback (albeit a little to late)?? however Champions league is still within grasps. RVP showing hes still got it. maybe this will kickstart something and bring us back into contention. I would take a CL over PL&FA cup any day

Is this a common view across United fans? That this is a 'corner turned', to borrow a Gerard Houllier phrase. I had a small bet on United to go through yesterday, because they were 13/8 to go through, and I was sure there'd be some sort of a kick in them. However, I can't see them troubling unduly the likes of Barca, Real Madrid, Bayern or PSG. Having said that it is cup football, so there's always a chance I suppose.

There is not one hope of United going any further in the competition playing the way the are at the moment.

Too suspect at the back and no midfield, they can't do a Chelsea and suck the life out of teams and nick the odd goal, or even rely on penalties.

Look at the game last night, best players, Giggs RVP Rooney and probably Rio at the back. Makes some difference to the team when he can comfortably step out with the ball and play a forward pass, that is taking into account his waning defensive abilities.

Glad for Moyes to get a result but overall dont think it is going to change the direction of the season.

Jones saved Rios arse a few times last night.

For the life of me I really can't see ManU go any further in the competition, far too many weaknesses are now being papered over after that win against Olympiacos.

nrico2006

Quote from: The Brick on March 20, 2014, 10:55:26 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on March 20, 2014, 10:47:03 AM
I don't think any corner is turned, it breaks my hard but I would have taken a defeat last night if it had meant Moyes going sooner.  I also believe that United have a decent chance of winning the CL, as mentioned its cup football and United still have the players to win games.  There have been less likely winners over the years such as Porto, Chelsea and Liverpool.  The best side in Europe doesn't always win the Champions League.

I honestly don't see anything in the team that would suggest that Moyes has had any positive impact on how they play or what tactics they employ.  Would you trust him with £200 million in the summer?  Run down the wing and cross.

Well put it this way. Fergiw wasnt totally economical with some of the cash he had to spend yet over the years he got fantastic results. eg Veron, djemba djemba, taibi, alan smith,

Fergie had his bad buys as does every manager, but he had a lot of good ones too.  The money he spent was as a result of the success he was responsible for on the pitch, whereas so far Moyes has never dealt in the bug bucks and has no track record in this area therefore I think it would be a huge risk to allow him to spend so much when its obvious that he doesn't know what to really do with the top players.  Fergies transfer record was, as mentioned, not always great and that is why at the time of Moyes being appointed I raised concern over him basically getting the job because Fergie picked him.  Fergie is not in the business of recruiting managers and had zero experience of doing so before Moyes came, crazy to allow such a big decision come down to Fergies say so. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

The Brick

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 20, 2014, 11:06:20 AM

I honestly don't see anything in the team that would suggest that Moyes has had any positive impact on how they play or what tactics they employ.  Would you trust him with £200 million in the summer?  Run down the wing and cross.

Well put it this way. Fergiw wasnt totally economical with some of the cash he had to spend yet over the years he got fantastic results. eg Veron, djemba djemba, taibi, alan smith,

Fergie had his bad buys as does every manager, but he had a lot of good ones too.  The money he spent was as a result of the success he was responsible for on the pitch, whereas so far Moyes has never dealt in the bug bucks and has no track record in this area therefore I think it would be a huge risk to allow him to spend so much when its obvious that he doesn't know what to really do with the top players.  Fergies transfer record was, as mentioned, not always great and that is why at the time of Moyes being appointed I raised concern over him basically getting the job because Fergie picked him.  Fergie is not in the business of recruiting managers and had zero experience of doing so before Moyes came, crazy to allow such a big decision come down to Fergies say so. 

So in your opinion, who could come in to replace moyes that has the experience of buying and utilising new players?

Bingo

Didn't see the game last night but by all accounts United much improved.

I did catch some of the debate on RTE afterwards and with just Eamon and Kenny Cunningham on the panel, Kenny decided to tackle Eamon.

Cunningham was making the point that United aren't as bad as made out to be and that they have 8/9 players who are good enough to make a decent team - De Gea, Rafael, Jones, Evans, Smalling, Mata, Rooney, Welback, RVP, Januzj - where the names he mentioned. He said the other players aren't bad players and that with the addition of two central midfield players United would still be a force. He said that Evans and Rafael where very good defensively last year in a title winning side and not many defenders bettered them in the premierleague

Dunphy said that there are no midfield players out there and Kenny made a bit of a tit of him on this point. Basically Eamon was trying to blame Fergie for the mess, while, without saying it, Cunningham seemed to laying the blame at Moyes door.

NAG1

Quote from: johnneycool on March 20, 2014, 11:00:08 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on March 20, 2014, 10:44:15 AM
The start of the comeback (albeit a little to late)?? however Champions league is still within grasps. RVP showing hes still got it. maybe this will kickstart something and bring us back into contention. I would take a CL over PL&FA cup any day

Is this a common view across United fans? That this is a 'corner turned', to borrow a Gerard Houllier phrase. I had a small bet on United to go through yesterday, because they were 13/8 to go through, and I was sure there'd be some sort of a kick in them. However, I can't see them troubling unduly the likes of Barca, Real Madrid, Bayern or PSG. Having said that it is cup football, so there's always a chance I suppose.

There is not one hope of United going any further in the competition playing the way the are at the moment.

Too suspect at the back and no midfield, they can't do a Chelsea and suck the life out of teams and nick the odd goal, or even rely on penalties.

Look at the game last night, best players, Giggs RVP Rooney and probably Rio at the back. Makes some difference to the team when he can comfortably step out with the ball and play a forward pass, that is taking into account his waning defensive abilities.

Glad for Moyes to get a result but overall dont think it is going to change the direction of the season.

Jones saved Rios arse a few times last night.

For the life of me I really can't see ManU go any further in the competition, far too many weaknesses are now being papered over after that win against Olympiacos.

That is what a partnership is supposed to be and why Rio and Vidic were so good for so long, Rio could play ball and Vidic did the donkey work but intelligently. Dont think there is that understanding between any of the centre backs now and is one of the causes of the problems at the back.

nrico2006

Quote from: The Brick on March 20, 2014, 11:11:49 AM

So in your opinion, who could come in to replace moyes that has the experience of buying and utilising new players?

There are managers such as Van Gaal, Klopp, Capello, Simeone, Hiddink out there that I would have more confidence in than Moyes.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

rodney trotter

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 20, 2014, 11:51:08 AM
Quote from: The Brick on March 20, 2014, 11:11:49 AM

There are managers such as Van Gaal, Klopp, Capello, Simeone, Hiddink out there that I would have more confidence in than Moyes.

Van Gaal is free after the World Cup, that would be a long time wasted on potential signings. Moyes has already identified the playeers he wants in the summer and wants to conclude some deals before the the WC starts.
Kloop signed a new deal last October and is now contracted until 2018.
Hiddink asaik is taking over from Van Gaal after the World Cup
Simeone i dont think will be leaving Atletico yet

So I can Moyes being there next season, and hopefully he proves people wrong when he gets the chance to build his own team

ballinaman

Quote from: rodney trotter on March 20, 2014, 12:08:46 PM
So I can Moyes being there next season, and hopefully he proves people wrong when he gets the chance to build his own team

I wouldn't trust him with 200 million or whatever to "build his own team". Tactically he is atrocious and he could have a team of galacticos and would be poor. If it wasn't for De Gea last night, he would be in severe trouble.

rodney trotter

Will have to trust him for now, or support city

Minder

They would maybe have a chance in a one off game against any of those teams, very unlikely over two legs.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

EC Unique

Quote from: Minder on March 20, 2014, 12:58:18 PM

They would maybe have a chance in a one off game against any of those teams, very unlikely over two legs.

Getting the second leg at home would be a welcome bonus.

EC Unique

Random fact.

David Moyes has won more Champions league games this season than City have in their entire history.

BennyHarp

I'm not a Man Utd fan, but i'm definitely not a Man U hater so I sometimes have a look at what is happening in this thread. So just out of interest - who would you consider to be more qualified than Alex Ferguson to decide what makes a good manager and make the decision on his successor? Edward Woodward? Bobby Charlton? Malcolm Glazier?
That was never a square ball!!

Bingo

Quote from: EC Unique on March 20, 2014, 02:09:39 PM
Random fact.

David Moyes has won more Champions league games this season than City have in their entire history.

That is probably the only thing he's ever won, bar the community shield of course.