Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: rodney trotter on February 12, 2014, 04:54:36 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 12, 2014, 04:43:06 PM
For me United need a two stage process in the transfer market. Firstly attract young British/Homegrown talent and rebuild the 'squad' as such. For this see Shaw, Lallana, Coleman, Barkley etc. You can add bringing players back from loan to that. Then you can begin to sign bigger names. If anyone thinks they can just go and pick up Reus, Gundogen, Di Maria etc this summer they are off their head. It is Manchester after all....

There is a quite a few homegrown players at present in the Squad, Smalling was a big british talent before he came to Utd but has been average.. Coleman would be a a realistic signing and I think Utd will go for him. Shaw is destined for Chelsea.

I dont see why one year out of the Champions League that itwould be so unrealisic to go for Gunogen and Rues, if the right money is offered ,of course it could happen.

Why would Coleman and Barkley want to play for Utd next year? There'll be no CL football and according to Baines who turned down Utds overtures because 'Martinez brought a whole new freshness about the place' which has made Coleman the player he is now and given Barkley a new found freedom to go out and play.
Moyes regimented structure seems to have been holding these lads back..

ballinaman

Quote from: johnneycool on February 13, 2014, 09:33:57 AM
Why would Coleman and Barkley want to play for Utd next year? There'll be no CL football
I'll say it before and I'll say it again, people underestimate the greed of current footballers...the majority are motivated by money these days. CL or no CL will make a difference for some players but not all....

Walter Cronc

Quote from: ballinaman on February 13, 2014, 09:41:35 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on February 13, 2014, 09:33:57 AM
Why would Coleman and Barkley want to play for Utd next year? There'll be no CL football
I'll say it before and I'll say it again, people underestimate the greed of current footballers...the majority are motivated by money these days. CL or no CL will make a difference for some players but not all....

Exactly. Man City were able to attract bigger names than Barkley and Coleman when they werent in the CL. Bayern Munich werent in the CL 5/6 years ago and they done ok.

gallsman

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 13, 2014, 08:51:27 AM
I think the statistics over the last few year show that Shane Long is as effective as Hernandez. How much do you value him at?!?!

I've heard some dung over the past few years but this is up there.  Shane Long makes Emile Heskey look prolific.  I would like to see stats for starts in all competitions over the past 3/4 years for both players and the number of goals scored - only ever going to be one winner, wouldn't even be close.

And one season of the champions league doesn't change United's stance as one of the top clubs in the world.  United will still be a big draw for any player and they will get most of the targets they go for.
[/quote]

Go on then, tell me how much Hernandez is worth and who would buy him for what you think he's worth. Starts mean nothing - if Hernandez isn't good enough for United's first team (which he still isn't, despite how crap they've been this year) that's his problem. Shane Long has played for Reading, West Brom and Hull and contributes goals to the same extent Hernandez does, despite being surrounded and fed by vastly inferior players. That's the point.

Also, this bears absolutely no comparison in the "dung" stakes to your pathetically false recollection of your encounter with Rooney and the subsequent exchange on Twitter. Remember that?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: seafoid on February 13, 2014, 08:24:09 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 12, 2014, 11:52:17 PM
A Man United fan in denial, that explains that so.
It's funny isn't it Dinny. Being a Man U fan in the past meant you could associate yourself with success even if you came from a county that is not Kerry or Kilkenny. I suppose it must be hard now for some to get used to the new misfiring reality. Man U always used to score and now they may or may not.

A bit like Laoislad above I am enjoying the demise and I think some Man United fans are going through the 5 stages of grief.

Some are in denial, some are just angry, some are bargaining (if we had RVP fit, if only), some are depressed and some have just accepted it.

Schadenfreude sums it up.
#newbridgeornowhere

magpie seanie

I think the absence of CL is largely overstated. Unfortunately, Moyes tactical neanderthalism (you know what I mean), may be understated. The Martinez effect at Everton merely adds to the feeling that Moyes doesn't have any idea how to plan to score goals. That's worrying and that could be the biggest issue attracting players to the club.

Sadly it appears my fears about Mata are being confirmed. As with Kagawa, he is being played out of position and only flitting in and out of the game. He is such a good player he will probably still make a contribution but seriously - why spend 37M on a guy and try to get him to do somethnig other than what made him a 37M player? Crazy.

ballinaman

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 13, 2014, 09:51:53 AM
It's funny isn't it Dinny. Being a Man U fan in the past meant you could associate yourself with success even if you came from a county that is not Kerry or Kilkenny. I suppose it must be hard now for some to get used to the new misfiring reality. Man U always used to score and now they may or may not.

A bit like Laoislad above I am enjoying the demise and I think some Man United fans are going through the 5 stages of grief.

Some are in denial, some are just angry, some are bargaining (if we had RVP fit, if only), some are depressed and some have just accepted it.

Lap it up Dinny...you've got to get your kicks from somewhere....

http://www.sincearsenallastwonatrophy.co.uk/

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Try being a Mayo, Liverpool, Connacht fan and up to this year Castlebar Mitchels hadn't won the county title in 20 years.  :(
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

magpie seanie

I think I avoided the anger and depression but have arrived at acceptance.

I'm hopeful it won't go as bad as not winning a trophy for 9 or 10 years though.  ;)

deiseach

The lack of animus towards Moyes is incredible. Man Utd fans really do believe this "we don't sack managers" sh1t!

nrico2006

Quote from: gallsman on February 13, 2014, 09:47:24 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on February 13, 2014, 08:51:27 AM
I think the statistics over the last few year show that Shane Long is as effective as Hernandez. How much do you value him at?!?!

I've heard some dung over the past few years but this is up there.  Shane Long makes Emile Heskey look prolific.  I would like to see stats for starts in all competitions over the past 3/4 years for both players and the number of goals scored - only ever going to be one winner, wouldn't even be close.

And one season of the champions league doesn't change United's stance as one of the top clubs in the world.  United will still be a big draw for any player and they will get most of the targets they go for.

Go on then, tell me how much Hernandez is worth and who would buy him for what you think he's worth. Starts mean nothing - if Hernandez isn't good enough for United's first team (which he still isn't, despite how crap they've been this year) that's his problem. Shane Long has played for Reading, West Brom and Hull and contributes goals to the same extent Hernandez does, despite being surrounded and fed by vastly inferior players. That's the point.

Also, this bears absolutely no comparison in the "dung" stakes to your pathetically false recollection of your encounter with Rooney and the subsequent exchange on Twitter. Remember that?
[/quote]

Contributes goals to the same extent?  Long is nowhere near Hernandez.  Long would be lucky to have a 1 goal in 4 games ratio whereas Hernandez has basically a one goal per two game ratio.

As for Rooney, haven't a baldy what you are on about but it might help if I actually used Twitter (which I don't)
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

AZOffaly

Quote from: deiseach on February 13, 2014, 10:07:05 AM
The lack of animus towards Moyes is incredible. Man Utd fans really do believe this "we don't sack managers" sh1t!

Maybe a bit admirable too. In an odd way. I know LFC fans pride themselves on their patience and understanding the game so maybe this is similar. Roy Hodgson is the only time I've seen Liverpool fans completely and utterly turn against a manager in a short time, and that was deserved. Maybe Moyes deserves that sort of treatment, or maybe the United fans are right.

gallsman

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 13, 2014, 09:59:15 AM
Sadly it appears my fears about Mata are being confirmed. As with Kagawa, he is being played out of position and only flitting in and out of the game. He is such a good player he will probably still make a contribution but seriously - why spend 37M on a guy and try to get him to do somethnig other than what made him a 37M player? Crazy.

Moyes said in the press conference last night that Mata had been United's best player in the last three games. Shocking.

ballinaman

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 13, 2014, 10:09:33 AM
Quote from: deiseach on February 13, 2014, 10:07:05 AM

Maybe a bit admirable too. In an odd way. I know LFC fans pride themselves on their patience and understanding the game so maybe this is similar. Roy Hodgson is the only time I've seen Liverpool fans completely and utterly turn against a manager in a short time, and that was deserved. Maybe Moyes deserves that sort of treatment, or maybe the United fans are right.
Maybe but there has been some serious sh1te coming out of United fans re Moyes. On the onehand slating him and saying how terrible he is and then in the next breath...ah I still back him though, so as not to be seen as some sort of heretic.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 13, 2014, 10:05:56 AM

I think I avoided the anger and depression but have arrived at acceptance.

I'm hopeful it won't go as bad as not winning a trophy for 9 or 10 years though.  ;)

Jaysus Seanie I'm from Kildare, 86 years and counting. 10 years is but a drop in the ocean  8)
#newbridgeornowhere