Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Quote from: ross4life on February 12, 2014, 10:16:08 PM
Pity about the Van Persie sitter & in the end that Szczesny save in the 2nd half earned Arsenal a point. If Moyes wants to know how much United have underachieved this season then look no further than that average Arsenal side who happen to be 14 points ahead of them.

Even 5th looks out of reach now, woeful PL season from the defending champions thankfully only 12 games are left or maybe 12 too many for some...

When will you realise it was Ferguson who dragged an average team to a title? Not one Man United player midfielder would get into the Arsenal squad never mind the starting XI on current form. Would take RVP and Rooney all day and eh that's it really maybe De Gea and Chesney could fight it out, little between those two.
#newbridgeornowhere

ross4life

Fergie was good but he couldn't turn water into wine.

All about about Wenger really, to get 56 points after 26 games from that Arsenal squad/team is remarkable achievement IMHO. I tip my hat to him i really do. Shame about Moyes seems like a nice fella but its simply not working out for him.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Dinny Breen

Quote from: ross4life on February 12, 2014, 11:29:57 PM

All about about Wenger really, to get 56 points after 26 games from that Arsenal squad/team is remarkable achievement IMHO. I tip my hat to him i really do. Shame about Moyes seems like a nice fella but its simply not working out for him.

But he did he really did.
#newbridgeornowhere

wildrover

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 12, 2014, 11:24:38 PM
Quote from: ross4life on February 12, 2014, 10:16:08 PM
Pity about the Van Persie sitter & in the end that Szczesny save in the 2nd half earned Arsenal a point. If Moyes wants to know how much United have underachieved this season then look no further than that average Arsenal side who happen to be 14 points ahead of them.

Even 5th looks out of reach now, woeful PL season from the defending champions thankfully only 12 games are left or maybe 12 too many for some...

When will you realise it was Ferguson who dragged an average team to a title? Not one Man United player midfielder would get into the Arsenal squad never mind the starting XI on current form. Would take RVP and Rooney all day and eh that's it really maybe De Gea and Chesney could fight it out, little between those two.

Get a grip!

A lot of Arsenal fans getting well above their station on the back of a long overdue decent league campaign. They remain well short of the quality that their rivals for the league possess and I fully expect that their challenge dies out in by the end of February. Fourth place will see Wenger happy and they can then turn to consolidating their champions league status for the following year.

A select between the two sides would see more utd representatives!

Dinny Breen

A Man United fan in denial, that explains that so.
#newbridgeornowhere

orangeman

I feel sorry for Moyes. Following Fergie was always going to be impossible. Maybe Fergie put him in their to make Fergie look even better than he really was.

Moyes is still waiting for his first win at Arsenal in his managerial career, while the home side could not land a morale-boosting blow in their pursuit of the title as they remained a point adrift of leaders Chelsea.

United, meanwhile, are still seventh, now 11 points behind fourth-placed Liverpool.

ross4life

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 12, 2014, 11:37:18 PM

He drank plenty of wine & was lucky enough to have proven winners that worked their asses off to win titles, since he left the passion,desire,workrate is about 10% & i don't think Moyes should take all the blame for that either.

The Arsenal squad is overloaded with midfielders but i think you are also somewhat overrating their midfield how many of them would stand up in a title fight to deliver important points? Arteta was probably Arsenals main midfielder tonight at Everton Fellaini was arguably better than him. Last season United had Carrick that made it onto the PFA team of the year other years Fletcher was superb even Park did a job especially in games against Arsenal.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

orangeman

Testimony to Fergie's ability to squeeze every last drop out of the players he had.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: orangeman on February 13, 2014, 12:12:29 AM
I feel sorry for Moyes. Following Fergie was always going to be impossible. Maybe Fergie put him in their to make Fergie look even better than he really was.

Moyes is still waiting for his first win at Arsenal in his managerial career, while the home side could not land a morale-boosting blow in their pursuit of the title as they remained a point adrift of leaders Chelsea.

United, meanwhile, are still seventh, now 11 points behind fourth-placed Liverpool.

Why feel sorry for Moyes whos reportedly the seventh highest paid manager in world football? the Manchester United board shouldn't have allowed Ferguson to choose the next manager. I think he suggested Alex McLeish on his first retirement.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: ross4life on February 13, 2014, 12:37:41 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 12, 2014, 11:37:18 PM

He drank plenty of wine & was lucky enough to have proven winners that worked their asses off to win titles, since he left the passion,desire,workrate is about 10% & i don't think Moyes should take all the blame for that either.

The Arsenal squad is overloaded with midfielders but i think you are also somewhat overrating their midfield how many of them would stand up in a title fight to deliver important points? Arteta was probably Arsenals main midfielder tonight at Everton Fellaini was arguably better than him. Last season United had Carrick that made it onto the PFA team of the year other years Fletcher was superb even Park did a job especially in games against Arsenal.

All you are doing is reinforcing the point that was Fergie was genius. Park was a shirt seller but Fergie got some tremendous performances out of him, have you seen him play with QPR.
#newbridgeornowhere

seafoid

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 12, 2014, 11:52:17 PM
A Man United fan in denial, that explains that so.
It's funny isn't it Dinny. Being a Man U fan in the past meant you could associate yourself with success even if you came from a county that is not Kerry or Kilkenny. I suppose it must be hard now for some to get used to the new misfiring reality. Man U always used to score and now they may or may not.

nrico2006

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on February 12, 2014, 05:17:08 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on February 12, 2014, 04:54:36 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 12, 2014, 04:43:06 PM
For me United need a two stage process in the transfer market. Firstly attract young British/Homegrown talent and rebuild the 'squad' as such. For this see Shaw, Lallana, Coleman, Barkley etc. You can add bringing players back from loan to that. Then you can begin to sign bigger names. If anyone thinks they can just go and pick up Reus, Gundogen, Di Maria etc this summer they are off their head. It is Manchester after all....

There is a quite a few homegrown players at present in the Squad, Smalling was a big british talent before he came to Utd but has been average.. Coleman would be a a realistic signing and I think Utd will go for him. Shaw is destined for Chelsea.

I dont see why one year out of the Champions League that itwould be so unrealisic to go for Gunogen and Rues, if the right money is offered ,of course it could happen.

I would say a homegrown player is someone who has come through the academy. If you take that to be the definition
of a homegrown player United don't seem to have many. Look at the match day squad for the Fulham game - Flethcher, Giggs, Januzaj. That's it.

In Uniteds squad this year there is Giggs, Fletcher, Januzaj, Cleverley, Evans and Welbeck who have came through the academy.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

nrico2006

Quote from: gallsman on February 12, 2014, 05:10:15 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on February 12, 2014, 05:05:22 PM
Quote from: gallsman on February 12, 2014, 05:03:26 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on February 12, 2014, 04:54:58 PM
Quote from: gallsman on February 12, 2014, 04:46:18 PM
The players you'd be taking about shipping out would not/will not go for much. Rafael, Rio, Vidic, Evra could all be for the chop and you might get £10m for the lot. Giggs, Cleverly, Valencia and either of Welbeck/Hernandez could all go and again you might get £10m for the lot. If you were lucky.

Ah come on! Hernandez is worth more than 10M on his own!

As evidenced by? I'm exaggerating of course, but not by much. Ten league goals in each of his last two seasons. Two so far this season. Shane Long scored 8 in each of the last two seasons and has six this time around. He moved for what, 6.5 or 7m?

Do you honestly think Shane Long is a better player than Hernandez?

I think the statistics over the last few year show that Shane Long is as effective as Hernandez. How much do you value him at?!?!

I've heard some dung over the past few years but this is up there.  Shane Long makes Emile Heskey look prolific.  I would like to see stats for starts in all competitions over the past 3/4 years for both players and the number of goals scored - only ever going to be one winner, wouldn't even be close.

And one season of the champions league doesn't change United's stance as one of the top clubs in the world.  United will still be a big draw for any player and they will get most of the targets they go for. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Don Johnson

Quote from: orangeman on February 13, 2014, 12:12:29 AM

Do you have Aspergers?

EC Unique

If last night showed anything it would be anyone who questions DeGea's status as a top keeper needs to follow a different sport. Both keepers were top class.