Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AQMP

Quote from: EC Unique on October 29, 2012, 10:39:24 AM
Quote from: AQMP on October 29, 2012, 09:43:09 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on October 28, 2012, 06:47:51 PM
I think its great to see what seems to be some sort of concerted effort to punish diving and feigning of injury. Torres clearly dived and got what he deserved. If there was contact it did nothing to impede him but he remembered Evans had been booked and tried to get him sent off. Tough luck Fernando. He used to be a good player. Remember when he would have kept going and stuck the ball in the net? Seems a long time ago now. Has the money killed his hunger?

seanie, the bollocksmeter is nearly off the scale here.  I presume if you think Torres dived then he was trying to convince the referee it was a foul by Evans when it wasn't?  But it was a foul...The law states that for "simulation" to be a yellow card offence the player must be trying "to deceive the referee".  I don't see how any player who is fouled and falls to the ground claiming a foul is trying to deceive the referee.

On a broader point the number of Utd fans who seem believe that "two wrongs make a right" is a moral code by which to live your life is worrying!

Rolling around holding his leg like he had been shot could fall into this category. The leg pain soon disappeared when he realised he was the one getting booked.

Ah, are you saying the yellow card was for feigning injury?

AQMP

Quote from: Minder on October 28, 2012, 10:34:23 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 28, 2012, 09:57:19 PM
Chelsea have apparently lodged a complaint about Clattenburg with the FA, but it's not about the decisions. It's for 2 incidents of 'inappropriate language' towards Chelsea players! Bizarre.

Racist language apparently.

Clattenburg in the clear as the phrase used was "choc-ice" and as we all no this is in no way a racist slur ;)

EC Unique

Quote from: AQMP on October 29, 2012, 11:03:00 AM
I think its great to see what seems to be some sort of concerted effort to punish diving and feigning of injury. Torres clearly dived and got what he deserved. If there was contact it did nothing to impede him but he remembered Evans had been booked and tried to get him sent off. Tough luck Fernando. He used to be a good player. Remember when he would have kept going and stuck the ball in the net? Seems a long time ago now. Has the money killed his hunger?

seanie, the bollocksmeter is nearly off the scale here.  I presume if you think Torres dived then he was trying to convince the referee it was a foul by Evans when it wasn't?  But it was a foul...The law states that for "simulation" to be a yellow card offence the player must be trying "to deceive the referee".  I don't see how any player who is fouled and falls to the ground claiming a foul is trying to deceive the referee.

On a broader point the number of Utd fans who seem believe that "two wrongs make a right" is a moral code by which to live your life is worrying!

Rolling around holding his leg like he had been shot could fall into this category. The leg pain soon disappeared when he realised he was the one getting booked.

You would need to ask the referee what ir was for. I saw a man go down when it was obvious he could have stayed up and then he feigned injury. Do you not think it is a good thing that refs are starting to stamp it out? I hope they continue and I of course include Utd players in that. It wrecks the game.

AQMP

Quote from: EC Unique on October 29, 2012, 11:43:42 AM

You would need to ask the referee what ir was for. I saw a man go down when it was obvious he could have stayed up and then he feigned injury. Do you not think it is a good thing that refs are starting to stamp it out? I hope they continue and I of course include Utd players in that. It wrecks the game.

If the yellow card was for feigning injury the ref may have a point though it doesn't seem to me that Torres is exaggerting the seriousness of any injury.  We'll have to wait to see what is in Clattenburg's report.  Actually Evans (how does he get in the Utd team?) could be accused of a "reckless" challenge on Torres which could have resulted in a red card from another ref. 

In general I'm of the opinion that soccer these days is wimps game, so I'm all for refs booking players for diving and writhing.  I always said that Drogba was a serious player when he concentrated on staying on his feet.  Managers have a role to play too as many ex-pros have stated that the instructions from mangers are "If you feel contact, go down"

EC Unique

Quote from: AQMP on October 29, 2012, 12:03:50 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on October 29, 2012, 11:43:42 AM

If the yellow card was for feigning injury the ref may have a point though it doesn't seem to me that Torres is exaggerting the seriousness of any injury.  We'll have to wait to see what is in Clattenburg's report.  Actually Evans (how does he get in the Utd team?) could be accused of a "reckless" challenge on Torres which could have resulted in a red card from another ref. 

In general I'm of the opinion that soccer these days is wimps game, so I'm all for refs booking players for diving and writhing.  I always said that Drogba was a serious player when he concentrated on staying on his feet.  Managers have a role to play too as many ex-pros have stated that the instructions from mangers are "If you feel contact, go down"

Fair points. All teams have their serial divers. The only way to stop it is yellow cards. The managers will soon act if the yellows start building up.

J70

The second Torres card was ridiculous. Should have been a free against Evans. Anyone who says otherwise is either blind or ludicrously biased.

Main Street

That's your opinion J70  and anybody who doesn't agree with you is damned  ;D

The ref gave what appeared very right at the time, the yellow card. Possibly he missed the faintest of touches by Evans and was influenced by the simulation of serious injury, the fake fall and the excruciating leg clutching, which supported his notion that there was not enough contact if any.

ross4life

Quote from: Main Street on October 29, 2012, 06:13:01 PM

The ref gave what appeared very right at the time, the yellow card. Possibly he missed the faintest of touches by Evans and was influenced by the simulation of serious injury, the fake fall and the excruciating leg clutching, which supported his notion that there was not enough contact if any.
The view the ref had.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

J70

Quote from: Main Street on October 29, 2012, 06:13:01 PM

No one does the withering dismissal like you MS!  :)

Yes, the angle Ross4life shows does support the ref. Hadn't seen that. The other angles looked a definite foul though!

The Worker

Ferdinands hand gesture just after the contact deserved a booking alone.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: The Worker on October 29, 2012, 08:31:02 PM
Ferdinands hand gesture just after the contact deserved a booking alone.

Why?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Milltown Row2

Can't believe that these players were saying that the referee used abusive language and they were offended by it!!

If he used racist language then he'll get the boot and rightly so but if he told one of them to fcuk up then fair play, the abuse the referees get from all teams (UTD are just as bad as the rest) is crazy.

Can see the referees clamping down hard on any player that speaks out of turn if this goes any further
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

magpie seanie

If Clattenburg used racist language he shouldn't referee again. It's unbelievable that a referee would do this. Can't quite get my head around it.

The game on Wednesday night should be some craic!

David McKeown

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 29, 2012, 09:29:07 PM
If Clattenburg used racist language he shouldn't referee again. It's unbelievable that a referee would do this. Can't quite get my head around it.

The game on Wednesday night should be some craic!

Not arguing with you but I find it strange that we think racist language from a player is only worthy of 8 (at most) game ban but feel that if a ref comes out with it they should be banned for 12 months
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

magpie seanie

Well I personally think the players found guilty of it should have been punished far more severely, especially the England captain.