Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agent Orange

All the goals from the Manchester derby will be shown on the Six One News on RTE.

Family guy

Just a small reminder that in fact city beat united 6 1 yesterday at old trafford,just incase some united fans woke up this morning and thought it was all a bad dream

nrico2006

Quote from: sammymaguire on October 23, 2011, 06:13:39 PM
A team of quality players expose United at Old Trafford, it has been coming... Look what Basel did. United have not been playing well for months, how they got to CL final last season is beyond me and their away record last campaign was shocking too for a team that won the title. Rely far too much on Rooney and Fergie still needs about 3 new players. CB, creative midfielder and a proper good ball winner in midfield. Still, Park and Lindegaard would have started if I was United manager instead of Nani and DDG...

Spot on with everything you have said, although I would have played Nani.  I have been saying for years that United need a defensive midfielder and playmaker.  Bad defeat obviously, but if one lesson comes out of this it is that Fergie needs to get back to basics and settle on the back 4.  This is the first season I can remember when the back four has been constantly changed every game, whereas every other year Uniteds success has been built on a defensive unit which was pretty much settled barring injuries/suspensions.  There are only two players that near have me in tears when I see them walking onto a pitch - Evans and Carrick.  First thing I said yesterday was 'why the hell is Evans on and Vidic not?'.  Disaster of a player.  Hopefully the kick up the hole United need, as the ability is there and hopefully from now on the defence can refocus and start performing as it has been over the past few years when it was generally regarded as good as any about.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

NAG1

Bad day at the office yesterday obviously and any honest fan has seen this one coming for a number of weeks now, maybe not as bad as 6-1 one, but you cant keep conceding the level of chances that the team have been over the last few games and expect to keep winning.

Dont know why AF changed away from his tried and tested 4-5-1 european formation for games against the top 4 teams, especially when they were bad at the bad and unsettled. However if it is the kick in the ass that the team need then I think it will be OK come May.

Surely this will be Evans benched for a while now, he just hasnt got the speed of thought needed at this level.

Megaman

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 24, 2011, 08:55:28 AM
Quote from: sammymaguire on October 23, 2011, 06:13:39 PM
A team of quality players expose United at Old Trafford, it has been coming... Look what Basel did. United have not been playing well for months, how they got to CL final last season is beyond me and their away record last campaign was shocking too for a team that won the title. Rely far too much on Rooney and Fergie still needs about 3 new players. CB, creative midfielder and a proper good ball winner in midfield. Still, Park and Lindegaard would have started if I was United manager instead of Nani and DDG...

Spot on with everything you have said, although I would have played Nani.  I have been saying for years that United need a defensive midfielder and playmaker.  Bad defeat obviously, but if one lesson comes out of this it is that Fergie needs to get back to basics and settle on the back 4.  This is the first season I can remember when the back four has been constantly changed every game, whereas every other year Uniteds success has been built on a defensive unit which was pretty much settled barring injuries/suspensions.  There are only two players that near have me in tears when I see them walking onto a pitch - Evans and Carrick.  First thing I said yesterday was 'why the hell is Evans on and Vidic not?'.  Disaster of a player.  Hopefully the kick up the hole United need, as the ability is there and hopefully from now on the defence can refocus and start performing as it has been over the past few years when it was generally regarded as good as any about.

Agree with both of those posts, Utd got totally found out yeaterday, Fletcher, anderson, Evans and to a lesser extent Rio are not good enough. i seriously doubt if Evans would last in a bottom half premier team, i think the championship is his level. Also i dont know why he persists with Wellbeck, not good enough IMO, Hernandez & Berbatov are better options.

I hope this is the serious kick up the arse that is needed, utd need more creative midfielder, going forward they have limited options and find it hard to break good teams down. they where all over City in the first 20 mins and didnt have one shot on goal, citys first or maybe second shot on goal was a goal.

sammymaguire

Schneider would have been the man to replace Scholes and Esteban Cambiasso is a tough tackling midfielder to have on your side as Inter are totally messed up since Jose left, I think with the right offers, both could have been prised away. Giorgio Chiellini the Juve centre back is someone else who I reckon would have been a quality addition again, Italian football being a bit of a mess, surely he would have been an option?

Wouldnt it be nice to have Gerard Pique amongst the defensive options now...  :-\
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

J OGorman

Quote from: gallsman on October 23, 2011, 09:24:48 PM
I've never seen even EC and new devil throw their toys thrown out of the pram like your man above. De Gea and Young from the starting 11 new for United during the summer, Clichy and Aguero for City. Wise up. United were well beaten, take it on the chin instead of crying your lamps out.

no prams being thrown out lad..all I pointed out was that its no shock that City beat Utd yesterday. City is a team completely assembled from scratch in the last couple of seasons by its billionaire owner for his own gratification. Its the way football has been going for a while (eg Chelsea), but this takes it too the absolute extreme...and surely I have a right to question were the glory in it is?

ross4life

When talking about defensive problems i'm surprised no mention of Evra here yet (our did i miss) for the best part of year now he's been the weakness in the United backline & yesterday was no different, first three goals all came from his side & the last three he was gone AWOL! City's full backs were excellent yesterday Nani,Young weren't given a inch while Silva was given the freedom of Old Trafford.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Bord na Mona man

If Ferguson had treated the fixture like a cup final, he definitely wouldn't have started the likes of Evans and Welbeck.
City definitely have the better quality at the moment, but the scoreline was generously topped by some farcical goals at the end.

Losing by 5 might trigger some needed shock treatment. If it had finished 3-1, then perhaps it would be explained away by the red card and it would be business as usual. Now there might be a bit of shake up.
The 5 point gap is a bigger deal than the 5 goal margin.

Minder

Quote from: J OGorman on October 24, 2011, 11:08:43 AM
I've never seen even EC and new devil throw their toys thrown out of the pram like your man above. De Gea and Young from the starting 11 new for United during the summer, Clichy and Aguero for City. Wise up. United were well beaten, take it on the chin instead of crying your lamps out.

no prams being thrown out lad..all I pointed out was that its no shock that City beat Utd yesterday. City is a team completely assembled from scratch in the last couple of seasons by its billionaire owner for his own gratification. Its the way football has been going for a while (eg Chelsea), but this takes it too the absolute extreme...and surely I have a right to question were the glory in it is?

I would agree with you, my interest in it seems to wane each year. There will always be some level of satisfaction when you get a result like yesterday, that probably won't leave me.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Dinny Breen

Joe Hart and Micah Richards.
#newbridgeornowhere

Minder

Quote from: Dinny Breen on October 24, 2011, 12:18:41 PM

Joe Hart and Micah Richards.

+ Kompany.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Billys Boots

Jaysus the cry-babies are out in force today.  That was unexpected.  ::)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

EC Unique

Now that the dust has settled a bit I am still annoyed about the result but we have seen similar things happen before (maybe not just as big a score difference) and Utd have grown stronger from it. I still expect Utd will win the league and I still expect City to take a major wobble and crumble a bit. They are a great side and will finnish in the top 4 but will not win the league.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Billys Boots on October 24, 2011, 12:29:15 PM
Jaysus the cry-babies are out in force today.  That was unexpected.  ::)

This man would have sorted the lot out Billy!

Quote from: EC Unique on October 24, 2011, 12:35:15 PM
Now that the dust has settled a bit I am still annoyed about the result but we have seen similar things happen before (maybe not just as big a score difference) and Utd have grown stronger from it. I still expect Utd will win the league and I still expect City to take a major wobble and crumble a bit. They are a great side and will finnish in the top 4 but will not win the league.

I would agree, definitely United to lose this year!