Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on June 01, 2011, 03:26:23 PM
Quote from: deiseach on June 01, 2011, 02:48:14 PM
Quote from: Bingo on June 01, 2011, 01:05:48 PM
Lads, now that the dust has settled after weekend - a serious question?

Has Fergie under-achieved in the CL? 2 wins in all those years and with all the great squads he had. It could also be argued that both wins had an element of good fortune about them (which if course is always needed to win these ones).

But when you look back and see some of them teams that have won (including the great LFC team of 2005  ;) ), its clear that United should have won more.

The question is why they haven't?

It's a cup competition and strange things happen. Chelsea have been one of the top teams in Europe for the best part of a decade and they can't win it. Since 1993, when Ferguson first got a crack at it, only Milan, Real Madrid, Barcelona and Man Utd have won it more than once. So I don't think it is clear that they should have won it more often

What he says! Luck plays a part in the CL. Look at some of the teams to win it, Porto, Liverpool, even Inter in 10, none could claim to be the top team in Europe at the time.

I don't think Chelsea have been close to been one of the top teams in Europe, in England yes, but in Europe they've been consistently average.

Mike Tyson

Quote from: Bingo on June 01, 2011, 03:37:01 PM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on June 01, 2011, 03:26:23 PM
Quote from: deiseach on June 01, 2011, 02:48:14 PM

Has Fergie under-achieved in the CL? 2 wins in all those years and with all the great squads he had. It could also be argued that both wins had an element of good fortune about them (which if course is always needed to win these ones).

But when you look back and see some of them teams that have won (including the great LFC team of 2005  ;) ), its clear that United should have won more.

It's a cup competition and strange things happen. Chelsea have been one of the top teams in Europe for the best part of a decade and they can't win it. Since 1993, when Ferguson first got a crack at it, only Milan, Real Madrid, Barcelona and Man Utd have won it more than once. So I don't think it is clear that they should have won it more often

What he says! Luck plays a part in the CL. Look at some of the teams to win it, Porto, Liverpool, even Inter in 10, none could claim to be the top team in Europe at the time.

I don't think Chelsea have been close to been one of the top teams in Europe, in England yes, but in Europe they've been consistently average.

In 2009 with a decent ref they would have beaten Barca convincingly. I'd say that's a lot more than average

deiseach

Chelsea have been as far as the CL semi-final in 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008 and 2009. If that's average, what's above average?

Bingo

Quote from: deiseach on June 01, 2011, 03:50:03 PM

Chelsea have been as far as the CL semi-final in 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008 and 2009. If that's average, what's above average?

Actually winning those semi's on a consistent basis, not just the once. Top teams win finals, not make the semi's.

ross4life

I can't help feeling if United played the Milan sides in the final instead of one of the greatest club sides of all time they would be on 5 CL titles now. when fergie retires i think he'll finish on 4 Cl titles but the question will remain "Has Fergie under-achieved in the CL?" don't think so when you consider before he came... United where only on 1 European cup win.

As for Chelsea IMO they where the best club team in Europe in 2005 Liverpool just happened to win the cup.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Bingo

Quote from: ross4life on June 01, 2011, 04:26:57 PM
I can't help feeling if United played the Milan sides in the final instead of one of the greatest club sides of all time they would be on 5 CL titles now. when fergie retires i think he'll finish on 4 Cl titles but the question will remain "Has Fergie under-achieved in the CL?" don't think so when you consider before he came... United where only on 1 European cup win.

As for Chelsea IMO they where the best club team in Europe in 2005 Liverpool just happened to win the cup.

They were better in 2008, Terry just happened to blow his big chance.

ross4life

Quote from: Bingo on June 01, 2011, 04:32:14 PM

Yes if Terry stayed on his feet Chelsea would have won the cup but i still think United were the best Club side in Europe in 2008.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Bingo

Quote from: ross4life on June 01, 2011, 04:35:34 PM

Yes if Terry stayed on his feet Chelsea would have won the cup but i still think United were the best Club side in Europe in 2008.

In fairness, its about lifting cups and history isn't written by opinion or who is the best side on paper.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Bingo on June 01, 2011, 04:38:51 PM
Quote from: ross4life on June 01, 2011, 04:35:34 PM

In fairness, its about lifting cups and history isn't written by opinion or who is the best side on paper.

As Shankly once said "First is first, second is nowhere" but it's not entirely true as people still talk about the Dutch sides as one of the greatest even though they didn't lift the world cup.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Bingo

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 01, 2011, 04:54:08 PM
As Shankly once said "First is first, second is nowhere" but it's not entirely true as people still talk about the Dutch sides as one of the greatest even though they didn't lift the world cup.

True but they are talked about for re-inventing the game, the phrase "total football" was coined on the back of that team. I don't think any team in recent years who haven't won anything will be talked about on same basis - remember the Chelsea team of the noughties.....eh, not particularly.  ;)

deiseach

Quote from: Bingo on June 01, 2011, 04:18:18 PM

Actually winning those semi's on a consistent basis, not just the once. Top teams win finals, not make the semi's.

As Norf Tyrone says, does that mean Porto, Liverpool and Inter were better teams than Chelsea over that period?

Bingo

Quote from: deiseach on June 01, 2011, 05:19:33 PM
Quote from: Bingo on June 01, 2011, 04:18:18 PM

As Norf Tyrone says, does that mean Porto, Liverpool and Inter were better teams than Chelsea over that period?

In some seasons they were and some they weren't. Wasn't it the case that in something like 6 CL matches V LFC, that chelsea scored 1 goal? By the way, I don't think any of those teams were top European teams over the same period but they all achieved alot more than Chelsea. In fact with 3 European trophies, Porto's record puts Chelsea's to shame.

Geoff Tipps

I can't help feeling that if ye had knocked Milan out in the semi final in '07, Liverpool would have 6 EC/CL titles now. Ye didn't though. They outclassed ye and it is what it is.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on June 01, 2011, 05:35:06 PM

I can't help feeling that if ye had knocked Milan out in the semi final in '07, Liverpool would have 6 EC/CL titles now. Ye didn't though. They outclassed ye and it is what it is.

You think Liverpool would have beaten United in a CL final? hmm i'm not so sure.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

laoislad

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on June 01, 2011, 05:35:06 PM

Nevermind 6..If Heysel had never happened Liverpool would have 7 or 8 European Cups by now.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.