Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Was great the Matt lived to see Uniteds win their first title for 26 years in 1993 & then on his birthday/50th anniversary of Munich united regained the European crown

The tradition of developing young players is still a big part of the club & wouldn't it be great if united repeated the Wembley success on May 28th
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Doogie Browser

Quote from: ross4life on October 28, 2010, 02:28:56 PM
wouldn't it be great if united repeated the Wembley success on May 28th
Not really

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: ross4life on October 27, 2010, 02:55:47 PM
Looks like Hernandez will get some more game time? Michael Owen is ruled out for 2 weeks & of course Rooney is not back for a couple of weeks.

Smalling was the only composed figure in defence last night at just 20 he's definitely one for the future, Obertan was a disappointment last night his decision making was poor & he reminded me of a 21 year old Nani

Macheda is very raw & probably needs to be sent out on loan in January playing regularly will improve him.

I think Hernandez is well ahead of Owen in the pecking order now. Not sure Macheda's going to make it at United. His announcement on the major stage appears to have been more inspired by Chris Eagles than Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

screenexile

Was great the Matt lived to see Uniteds win their first title for 26 years in 1993 & then on his birthday/50th anniversary of Munich united regained the European crown

The tradition of developing young players is still a big part of the club & wouldn't it be great if united repeated the Wembley success on May 28th

Yeah it's so good to see many young Manchester lads breaking through to the Senior Ranks. . . Hernandez, Macheda, Fabio, Rafael, Nani, Bebe etc. . .

Are you taking the piss son??!!!

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: screenexile on October 28, 2010, 03:53:03 PM

Yeah it's so good to see many young Manchester lads breaking through to the Senior Ranks. . . Hernandez, Macheda, Fabio, Rafael, Nani, Bebe etc. . .

He is definately taking the piss.

ross4life

I said Manchester lads where in my piece????????

Rooney,Best,Whiteside,Ronaldo are prime examples! young teenagers with potential developed under the guidance of Man United FC into superstars

Now i could name the many "Manchester born" current & future players but the would be way over your head laddie

P.S i suppose you think all the Busby Babes were Manchester born  ::)

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

screenexile

Quote from: ross4life on October 28, 2010, 05:27:17 PM

Rooney,Best,Whiteside,Ronaldo are prime examples! young teenagers with potential developed under the guidance of Man United FC into superstars

Now i could name the many "Manchester born" current & future players but the would be way over your head laddie

Best and Whiteside were a number of years ago and Rooney and Ronaldo got their education as young footballers at Everton and Sporting CP.

You would be better served talking about Scholes, Beckham, Giggs, Butt, the Nevilles as examples of homegrown players being brought through the youth system but that again was a long time ago, and they are the last group of decent homegrown footballers reared by Utd of football.

You may point to the fact that the youth systems in a number of Premier League clubs is bad and that's a fair point but to talk of United's youth system being anything but a playground for Players bought in from around the world is just wrong.

Barca are streets ahead of every team in the world in this regard!

ross4life

Quote from: screenexile on October 28, 2010, 06:33:18 PM
Quote from: ross4life on October 28, 2010, 05:27:17 PM

Best and Whiteside were a number of years ago and Rooney and Ronaldo got their education as young footballers at Everton and Sporting CP.

You would be better served talking about Scholes, Beckham, Giggs, Butt, the Nevilles as examples of homegrown players being brought through the youth system but that again was a long time ago, and they are the last group of decent homegrown footballers reared by Utd of football.

You may point to the fact that the youth systems in a number of Premier League clubs is bad and that's a fair point but to talk of United's youth system being anything but a playground for Players bought in from around the world is just wrong.

Barca are streets ahead of every team in the world in this regard!

Trying to bypass your original post where you thought all united youth players in the past were Manchester born?

If you think United haven't done a wonderful job in developing young players & continue to do so then your just talking the piss

My point was United have tradition of developing young players & with the young players coming through United will save millions this point is 100% correct!

Barca are ahead with the Like's of Xavi,Iniesta & Messi coming through the ranks but not streets!

Minder

Did Barcelona not have 7 or 8 players playing in a Champions league game last year that came through their youth system? That is streets ahead.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ross4life

Quote from: Minder on October 28, 2010, 07:31:17 PM
Did Barcelona not have 7 or 8 players playing in a Champions league game last year that came through their youth system? That is streets ahead.

In 2009 Final yes i believe Barca had around 7 home grown players (including Piqué bought off united) in the 1999 final United had 5 home grown players on the team & some others on the bench

screenexile

Quote from: ross4life on October 28, 2010, 07:43:22 PM

In 2009 Final yes i believe Barca had around 7 home grown players (including Piqué bought off united) in the 1999 final United had 5 home grown players on the team & some others on the bench

Great stuff!! And tell me now where Pique played for the 7 years before United??

United DID have a decent youth policy which culminated in the 1999 Champions League there is no denying that but it has since disappeared down the crapper where now Man U are having to poach young players off other clubs!!

paco

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/web/english/futbol/temporada_10-11/plantilla/plantilla.html

Barca's first team squad for this season. I count 8 players who weren't brought up through the youth team (Dani Alves, Villa, Mascherano, Keita, Milito, Maxwell, Adriano and Abidal). There are also a number of players from the 'B' team who regularly play.

ross4life

Quote from: screenexile on October 28, 2010, 08:25:34 PM

Great stuff!! And tell me now where Pique played for the 7 years before United??

United DID have a decent youth policy which culminated in the 1999 Champions League there is no denying that but it has since disappeared down the crapper where now Man U are having to poach young players off other clubs!!

For your piece in bold..No shit Sherlock!

Down crapper & poaching young players>> insert major face-palms   

ross4life

Quote from: paco on October 28, 2010, 08:28:20 PM
http://www.fcbarcelona.com/web/english/futbol/temporada_10-11/plantilla/plantilla.html

Barca's first team squad for this season. I count 8 players who weren't brought up through the youth team (Dani Alves, Villa, Mascherano, Keita, Milito, Maxwell, Adriano and Abidal). There are also a number of players from the 'B' team who regularly play.

I did say they were better! & Paco i know you have a better knowledge of the game than the above Anti-united fan, I'm still amazed he even managed to call the 90s youth crop "decent"

Boycey

Both freak occurances in my opinion..

Mainland Europes current supremacy at youth level is an indictment on English FA youth and schools systems rather than the clubs in general, there are no clubs who are regularly turning out English talent.

United DO have an excellent youth policy, there are umpteen players playing round the top two leagues in England that came through United and who United have received fees well in excess of 100million for.