Armagh v Derry - Ulster Final, 14th May, 2023 @ 4pm

Started by Walter Cronc, May 01, 2023, 08:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurganblue

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 11, 2023, 12:27:58 PM
Quote from: oakleaflad on May 11, 2023, 12:24:38 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on May 11, 2023, 11:56:49 AM
Quote from: oakleaflad on May 11, 2023, 11:51:43 AM
Once the ball is thrown in the players will be focused on the game. If Armagh beat us it'll be fair and square. I see the bookies have us favorites but I see it as a 50/50 game. Be interesting to see who McKaigue picks up, and likewise who marks McGuigan.
McKaigue to take whichever of Rian or Murnin go inside although both like to come out the field so maybe Rodgers will be put on one? McCambridge marked Walsh and Clifford in the league and did rightly so can see him being given the McGuigan job if he starts, Forker been our go to man marker so he's another option, he'd also put McGuigan on the back foot as he can get forward for a score. Will be a seriously interesting game.
That's what makes it interesting for me. McGrogan or young McEvoy might in theory be better suited to Rian or Murnin as the tend to come out the field, but McKaigue is undoubtedly our go to man marker. Then you've Clucky too who (despite being brilliant) is a bit shorter than the other defenders and Armagh have quite a bit of height in there. Usually it's easier to predict who'll pick up who. I think Armagh forwards will ask different questions of the Derry defense and part of the reason I see this as close to a 50/50 game.
Grugan pulls a lot of strings for us as well and needs watching although he maybe doesnt get the attention from people that the likes of Rian would. Thing that has improved with Derry big time is their ability to get scores from players from your keeper and corner backs to your forwards and are definitely not reliant on McGuigan anymore.

McCambridge was great in the league and then found himself not involved come championship.  I cant see him being thrown into an Ulster Final to mark McGuigan.  I suspect that will be Forker's job.

High Fielder

Quote from: Itchy on May 11, 2023, 12:07:27 PM
Quote from: High Fielder on May 11, 2023, 11:49:45 AM
It's important to remember that these are allegations only. It's a sensitive situation, and it will be interesting to see if the Facebook post stays up

I'm sure Rory will take a case against his wife for defamation. For defamation to be proven he needs 1) The allegations about him to be false 2) To prove his wife put them into the public domain and 3) Proof that this has done him reputational damage

Seems like he has a nailed on case there.

An injunction would be just as powerful, maybe even more so, at this point. He could use this forum as evidence

Armagh18

Quote from: larryin89 on May 11, 2023, 12:36:39 PM
Would the first thing you'd write in your statement if you were not guilty of anything the ex wife accused him of be "I never raised my hand to her " surely ?
You'd think so

tonto1888

Quote from: lurganblue on May 11, 2023, 12:36:49 PM
Once the ball is thrown in the players will be focused on the game. If Armagh beat us it'll be fair and square. I see the bookies have us favorites but I see it as a 50/50 game. Be interesting to see who McKaigue picks up, and likewise who marks McGuigan.
McKaigue to take whichever of Rian or Murnin go inside although both like to come out the field so maybe Rodgers will be put on one? McCambridge marked Walsh and Clifford in the league and did rightly so can see him being given the McGuigan job if he starts, Forker been our go to man marker so he's another option, he'd also put McGuigan on the back foot as he can get forward for a score. Will be a seriously interesting game.
That's what makes it interesting for me. McGrogan or young McEvoy might in theory be better suited to Rian or Murnin as the tend to come out the field, but McKaigue is undoubtedly our go to man marker. Then you've Clucky too who (despite being brilliant) is a bit shorter than the other defenders and Armagh have quite a bit of height in there. Usually it's easier to predict who'll pick up who. I think Armagh forwards will ask different questions of the Derry defense and part of the reason I see this as close to a 50/50 game.
Grugan pulls a lot of strings for us as well and needs watching although he maybe doesnt get the attention from people that the likes of Rian would. Thing that has improved with Derry big time is their ability to get scores from players from your keeper and corner backs to your forwards and are definitely not reliant on McGuigan anymore.

McCambridge was great in the league and then found himself not involved come championship.  I cant see him being thrown into an Ulster Final to mark McGuigan.  I suspect that will be Forker's job.

played against Antrim and think he picked up an injury, hence his non involvement since

Armagh18

Quote from: lurganblue on May 11, 2023, 12:36:49 PM

He picked up a knock and then was ill I think. Would be my choice to nullify any dangerman to be honest.

lurganblue

I'd be surprised if he started. Not a slight on the lad as he is of course very capable. Just because of how the last few weeks have went.

Armagh18

Just had a nosey back there.  Last years all ireland thread had 27 pages, the armagh galway one had 70 something. We're at 40 here already.

People love a bit of drama and gossip

Armagh18

Quote from: lurganblue on May 11, 2023, 12:43:20 PM
I'd be surprised if he started. Not a slight on the lad as he is of course very capable. Just because of how the last few weeks have went.
Yeah true. Honestly don't know who you could justify dropping at the minute. Morgan is back as well who is usually a starter when fit.

trailer

Quote from: Redhand Santa on May 11, 2023, 10:42:02 AM
Quote from: gallsman on May 11, 2023, 10:30:14 AM
Quote from: smelmoth on May 11, 2023, 10:27:34 AM
Quote from: gallsman on May 11, 2023, 10:24:25 AM
Quote from: smelmoth on May 11, 2023, 10:12:56 AM
If there was one in grain of truth of any single allegation I would have thought that would have been enough for him to step aside temporarily. The complete rebuttal and the reference to this having already been investigated certainly makes the County Boards position as difficult as it could be.

Nightmare scenario

What complete rebuttal?! If that statement is genuine, it looks to me that he has been very careful not to explicitly deny anything.

It's a complete rebuttal in the sense that it's an outright denial.

I didn't say it was a satisfactory rebuttal.

Just making the point that he has knocked this back to the county board and not exactly made it easy for them.

It's not an outright denial though? Although I'm sure it will follow.

He says allegations were made against him and dealt with by the relevant authorities. That could mean anything ffs.

If they were dealt with by the authorities and then he was awarded custody to the children you could probably read something into it. But either way it's a mess of a situation and mad the way people are so quick to make their minds up on something they have a read a post on facebook on.

It's not some anonymous post though, it's his ex-wife making very serious allegations. It's more than a simple facebook post. And what's more she has no regrets. She hasn't removed it even though I would suspect she has come under pressure to do so.

Armamike

Quote from: larryin89 on May 11, 2023, 12:36:39 PM
Would the first thing you'd write in your statement if you were not guilty of anything the ex wife accused him of be "I never raised my hand to her " surely ?

I would be shouting it from the rooftops.
That's just, like your opinion man.

tbrick18

Kickout strategy on both teams will be key for this game.
If Derry can get their short kickouts working, it will be very difficult for Armagh I think.
If we have to go long, we still have ball winners but it's probably not as reliable for us.

I'd imagine Armagh will push up on the Derry kickouts. I think Derry will probably get back into shape for the Armagh kickouts, so quick kicks from them might be the best option. 

smelmoth

Now that there has been a statement from Gallagher to a newspaper I assume the wider media will now pick this up?

It's very difficult to see a pathway that allows him to take to the sideline on Sunday.

It would be impossible for the County Board to allow him to do without having obtained from him a categoric and convincing statement that he has never hit his former partner. We do know that his voluntary statement didn't include that clarity.

general_lee

I have a soft spot for Derry as half my family is from there but if I was a Derry supporter I'd be bitterly disappointed if the county board failed to take action.

Even as a GAA fan and member in general, the reaction has not been satisfactory thus far. It's all well and good the GAA promoting good living, mental wellbeing, anti-bullying and whatever else is in vogue  that it likes to row in behind at community level. Now's the time to see action.

imtommygunn

I am exactly the same general lee. I would favour them over any other county bar my own but they need to deal with this - it is not a good look. Also the only chance they have of being able to focus on a football match is to do something here.

trailer

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 11, 2023, 01:13:13 PM
Kickout strategy on both teams will be key for this game.
If Derry can get their short kickouts working, it will be very difficult for Armagh I think.
If we have to go long, we still have ball winners but it's probably not as reliable for us.

I'd imagine Armagh will push up on the Derry kickouts. I think Derry will probably get back into shape for the Armagh kickouts, so quick kicks from them might be the best option.

I admire your commitment to trying to get this thread back to football.