Armagh v Down - USFC Semi-Final - Clones, 4pm, Sun 30th April

Started by balladmaker, April 24, 2023, 08:20:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Quote from: onefaircounty on April 30, 2023, 09:08:16 PM
Men against boys. Some of the chat from Down fans in the lead up was laughable.

O'Neill bar an occasional moment was average enough. If we don't get him firing I'm not sure we can beat Derry.

Murnin is unreal.

Down players don't need much of an excuse to hit the deck and hold their faces like they'd been cleaned. Two or three were absolutely laughable.
Rian was as good as he needed to be. Goal was class and if we can launch a few in against Derry there are goals to be had as well. Down were terrible so I wouldnt read much into yesterday. Great to be in a final at long last

Armagh18

Didnt hear any chats from Down supporters that were inappropriate. Saw one incident of a red flare being aimed at stewards which was totally unacceptable. Dont think those ones did any harm from what I saw otherwise and added great atmosphere for both sides. The singing of the anthem was first class on the hill as well.

tonto1888

Handy win. Good to be back in the final. Need a lot of improvement to beat Derry.

marty34

Quote from: AustinPowers on April 30, 2023, 11:34:50 PM
Quote from: SHEEDY on April 30, 2023, 11:09:39 PM
On the hill today and have to say Armagh have some of the scummiest 'supporters' I've ever seen at a gaa match, following club and county for years up and down the country and never seen as many people put out of the ground by the guards ever. Throwing flares and smoke bombs, firing plastic bottles at opposition fans, fighting and general soccer style chanting, it definitely wasn't a comfortable place to be at times. Most will have to watch the match again on Monday cos they've no idea what happened today.

Not defending their antics , but  that's the fairweather  Buckfast crowd.  That's the sort of  crowd the cameras focus on  when a team is winning , and the commentators  saying what great noise and atmosphere these  fans are bringing . Me arse.  A big boot up the hole ,  that's what they need.  It's s shame  for the genuine Armagh fans who behave and bring  great atmosphere to matches.  That sort of crap tarnishes a whole  county

Gaa should start to breathalyse certain supoorters on the way in at big matches.

Croke Park is the same on big days, especially football.  The bus brigade arrive in full and gather together at the highest point and the language and chants are disgraceful.  They direct filthy chants to the opposing keeper on the kickouts.  Then they start fighting with themselves and other supporters.

snoopdog

Totally agree. I had 3 youngsters with me and I questioned bringing them to a big game again. Not that I will have a choice following Down.  The language was disgraceful. The flares don't bother me . The turnstiles in could've been better organised. The Buckfast brigade were in full swing. GAA really need to stamp that out. How can alcohol be smuggled into a ground? .  To be honest its not a family occasion with that element there. Booing the opposition is not the GAA way.  Yes they're young and out for a good time, we've all had a few drinks before games and behaved. I suppose 90% of the time it's the way they are brought up.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: snoopdog on May 01, 2023, 08:58:08 AM
Totally agree. I had 3 youngsters with me and I questioned bringing them to a big game again. Not that I will have a choice following Down.  The language was disgraceful. The flares don't bother me . The turnstiles in could've been better organised. The Buckfast brigade were in full swing. GAA really need to stamp that out. How can alcohol be smuggled into a ground? .  To be honest its not a family occasion with that element there. Booing the opposition is not the GAA way.  Yes they're young and out for a good time, we've all had a few drinks before games and behaved. I suppose 90% of the time it's the way they are brought up.

Boozed up Armagh n Derry fans for the final. The hill could be messy!

snoopdog

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 01, 2023, 09:02:23 AM
Quote from: snoopdog on May 01, 2023, 08:58:08 AM

Boozed up Armagh n Derry fans for the final. The hill could be messy!
Could be a better watch than the game. ;D

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: SHEEDY on April 30, 2023, 11:09:39 PM
On the hill today and have to say Armagh have some of the scummiest 'supporters' I've ever seen at a gaa match, following club and county for years up and down the country and never seen as many people put out of the ground by the guards ever. Throwing flares and smoke bombs, firing plastic bottles at opposition fans, fighting and general soccer style chanting, it definitely wasn't a comfortable place to be at times. Most will have to watch the match again on Monday cos they've no idea what happened today.

Never ceases to amaze me how this narrative gets thrown around so often, i.e. the implication is that there is one set of supporters doing it. I was stood a few yards from Down supporters holding smoke flares and was nearly choked by the smoke. A middle aged slug beside me, from Down, his opening gambit (two minutes in) was "f**king Armagh tramps!" when Down were awarded their first free. He wasn't there for the last fifteen minutes. Another group to my right were so pissed up, that they dropped and smashed a full bottle of wine and a bottle of beer on the Hill - the beer exploded sending glass scattering.

I have no doubt that what you described happened - there were many Armagh fans I saw doing similar - but try and not be so one-eyed about the thing. It just makes you look bitter.

As for the match, ideal scenario for Armagh. A win over the neighbours but plenty still to work on, which should hopefully concentrate minds. If I'm honest, I think we will be really up against it in the Final - Derry look to have really improved from last year and are playing with the confidence brought on by being Ulster Champions.   

onefaircounty

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 01, 2023, 07:35:09 AM
Didnt hear any chats from Down supporters that were inappropriate.

It was being chanted by a fair group outside the ground prior to throw in. Pretty disgusting.

I have no problem with lads having a few beers, being loud. Chants. It adds to it.

There is a balancing act though and so often in Clones, youngsters fall off the other side.

The booing is bad though and Armagh over the last few years have been especially bad for it.

Walking up through the Hill yesterday felt a bit uncomfortable. Nothing was going on per se, just not the most pleasent atmosphere for kids.

There were no Guards from the square right down to the barrier that I could see. Nothing, I could see, went on so maybe not a massive deal. But just a few about maybe to keep an eye on things would help.

Armagh18

Quote from: onefaircounty on May 01, 2023, 11:01:30 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on May 01, 2023, 07:35:09 AM
Didnt hear any chats from Down supporters that were inappropriate.

It was being chanted by a fair group outside the ground prior to throw in. Pretty disgusting.

I have no problem with lads having a few beers, being loud. Chants. It adds to it.

There is a balancing act though and so often in Clones, youngsters fall off the other side.

The booing is bad though and Armagh over the last few years have been especially bad for it.

Walking up through the Hill yesterday felt a bit uncomfortable. Nothing was going on per se, just not the most pleasent atmosphere for kids.

There were no Guards from the square right down to the barrier that I could see. Nothing, I could see, went on so maybe not a massive deal. But just a few about maybe to keep an eye on things would help.
Didn't hear it but could unfortunately probably take a good guess as to what it was. Didn't see anything that went too far other than the red flare being thrown at stewards but no doubt there were idiots who went too far as usual. Anyway wouldnt let the minority take away from a superb day out, great atmosphere despite the weather.

LC

Re the boozing by supporters the 4pm start probably did not help yesterday and same no doubt will apply on Ulster final day.

Armagh18

Quote from: LC on May 01, 2023, 11:52:27 AM
Re the boozing by supporters the 4pm start probably did not help yesterday and same no doubt will apply on Ulster final day.
And the Celtic Rangers game being on before. And the fact that you need to leave 5 hours early to battle through traffic to get to the kip lol

Armamike

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 30, 2023, 11:17:11 PM
That a sorta excuse? , who else do we see at this crap.

Not making any excuses for bad behaviour.  The ones that Sheedy mentions tend to appear out of hibernation for the Clones games.   But we also have one of the strongest support bases with packed home games and massive away support in the league.  That doesn't seem to get much of a mention and shouldn't tar everyone with the same brush.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Armagh18

Quote from: Armamike on May 01, 2023, 12:48:27 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 30, 2023, 11:17:11 PM
That a sorta excuse? , who else do we see at this crap.

Not making any excuses for bad behaviour.  The ones that Sheedy mentions tend to appear out of hibernation for the Clones games.   But we also have one of the strongest support bases with packed home games and massive away support in the league.  That doesn't seem to get much of a mention and shouldn't tar everyone with the same brush.
We've the best fans in Ireland bar none. Few idiots with too much drink in them shouldnt be what we're talking about. Didn't see anything scummy happening on the hill, other than the red flare thrown at stewards, not saying it didnt happen though.

Sportacus

If the atmosphere was great, it didn't come across on BBC.  Just looked like a wet aul day and the crowd sound was very muffled, complete silence at times. Maybe something BBC could look at.  It was a bit better on TSG.  You want the commentator competing with the roar, not talking over it.