Tyrone v Monaghan - Healy Park, Omagh - 16/04/2023 16:00

Started by CK_Redhand, April 12, 2023, 04:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Monaghan scored 10 points from frees. Roscommon would never allow that to happen.

Keyser soze

Quote from: Rossfan on April 18, 2023, 08:40:54 AM
Quote from: Stall the Bailer on April 17, 2023, 10:19:50 PM
Quote from: CK_Redhand on April 17, 2023, 10:10:46 PM
Can someone explained what happened with the Tyrone "indirect free"? That's what the BBC commentators called it but I can't remember it happening in GAA before.
When play is stopped for a serious injury, play is restarted with a free for the last team in possession but they can't score from the free. If no team was in possession it is a hop ball
The ongoing lack of knowledge of this rule by so many never ceases to amaze me!!

Include Thomas Niblock and Philly McMahon in this group as they were amazed at the strange goings on.

Wildweasel74

Rossfan

From memory I think it was changed  around 10 years ago?
Another that some commentators don't know is a throw up for encroaching when taking a sideline kick.
And of course McStay and playing the ball on the ground in last year's Tailteann Final
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

westbound

Quote from: Rossfan on April 18, 2023, 10:34:31 AM
From memory I think it was changed  around 10 years ago?
Another that some commentators don't know is a throw up for encroaching when taking a sideline kick.
And of course McStay and playing the ball on the ground in last year's Tailteann Final

The lack of knowledge of the rules among the 'expert pundits' is a disgrace!  If they don't know the rules of the game they shouldn't be providing 'expert' analysis!

clarshack

Quote from: seafoid on April 18, 2023, 09:32:14 AM
Monaghan scored 10 points from frees. Roscommon would never allow that to happen.

Depends on the referee.

square_ball

Quote from: clarshack on April 18, 2023, 10:59:26 AM

Depends on the referee.

Hard to concede frees when you're down with that many head injuries.

trailer

Quote from: square_ball on April 17, 2023, 10:33:24 AM
Quote from: trailer on April 17, 2023, 08:44:15 AM
A game of two halves.

Tyrone were going well in the first half, Monaghan living off a very poor referring performance. Some very soft and questionable frees.
10 and 20 from Monaghan had great games, constantly running at the Tyrone defence. Can't for the life of me understand the thought process of leaving Burns on for so long. He was having a stinker. McGeary not brilliant either. Morgan with another horror show. Missed a straight forward FK, kickouts in 2nd half not great and getting beat for the goal at the end. He's an outfield player in goals. It's not working.
Don't get the love for Beggan, didn't think he was that great to be honest.
McCurry and Canavan had great games, but they were constantly caught in a web of Monaghan men.
When was the last time Tyrone conceded 2-17? A freak result.

Anyway thems the breaks.

For the neutral it must've been one of the best games in a long time.

Strange comment. You'd think going by that he's just been fired in this year as an experiment in nets when in reality he's been consistently one of the best goalkeepers in the game for 10 years now. I wouldn't swap him for any other keeper in Ireland and there is no one remotely close in Tyrone in quality to him.

Straight up all messing aside, I just think he never makes a save. He's actually good enough to probably play outfield for Tyrone. For me a true goalkeeper saves that last shot. He'll think he did poorly as well.

Itchy

Quote from: clarshack on April 18, 2023, 10:59:26 AM

Depends on the referee.

100%. The first thing any county team should be doing is analysing the referee as there is no consistency from one to another.

greatpoint

Quote from: Main Street on April 17, 2023, 08:44:03 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on April 17, 2023, 04:57:26 PM
Quote from: greatpoint on April 17, 2023, 04:35:27 PM
Heard your man on OTB say that Monaghan aren't concerned about Ulster titles anymore and it's all about the All-Ireland now. I thought Monaghan hadn't won Ulster in nearly a decade?

The red hair chap who tends to have some odd opinions. Monaghan players reaction at the full whistle says they are very much concerned but Derry next another big hurdle to jump
That's Shane Hannon,  knows about  all things Monaghan GAA in minute detail. He did not say Monaghan are not concerned about Ulster titles, he said winning Ulster in itself is not enough for this Monaghan team, they want more.

https://youtu.be/yDr_CycyGL0?t=1017

"Monaghan don't care about winning Ulster this year, it would be lovely, but the group is the focus" (16:57 in the video)

That is what was said, not sure why you are pretending otherwise. You can click on it and listen to it yourself.

CK_Redhand

Quote from: Rossfan on April 18, 2023, 08:40:54 AM
Quote from: Stall the Bailer on April 17, 2023, 10:19:50 PM
Quote from: CK_Redhand on April 17, 2023, 10:10:46 PM
Can someone explained what happened with the Tyrone "indirect free"? That's what the BBC commentators called it but I can't remember it happening in GAA before.
When play is stopped for a serious injury, play is restarted with a free for the last team in possession but they can't score from the free. If no team was in possession it is a hop ball
The ongoing lack of knowledge of this rule by so many never ceases to amaze me!!
I suspected that's what it was for but as I said I had never seen it before, or just didn't notice. 99% of the time in these situations it seems to be a hop ball, maybe the ref normally lets things run until the ball spills loose?

Captain Obvious

Dick Clerkin

"if that Tyrone team goes on and competes for Sam Maguire this summer, I will lick Rory Gallagher's post match palms"

Derryman forever

Quote from: Captain Obvious on April 18, 2023, 04:03:56 PM
Dick Clerkin

"if that Tyrone team goes on and competes for Sam Maguire this summer, I will lick Rory Gallagher's post match palms"

Never did think Dick was the sharpest tool in the shed.

screenexile

I agree with him.

I thought after the end of the league and first half on Sunday that they could be challengers but I can't see how the team that capitulated in Omagh could win an All Ireland.

It would be some turnaround!!

Jim Bob

Quote from: Captain Obvious on April 18, 2023, 04:03:56 PM
Dick Clerkin

Sure they will be competing for Sam this year   Aren't they in the group stages ???