Armagh v Antrim, USFC Prelim. Round - Athletic Grounds, April 8th, 5pm

Started by balladmaker, April 02, 2023, 11:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

balladmaker

And so it begins.  Armagh to return to the swashbuckling, attacking football of 2022, or keep faith with the new ultra defensive set-up that ultimately let them down in Div. 1.  An Ulster Final at least has to be Armagh's target, but in doing so could mean they're a spent force by the time the round robin comes along.  It's into the unknown this year with the new format, but looking forward to harder ground and some great games along the way, bring it on!

Captain Obvious

Antrim playing in Division three conceded more than any other team in the league this year 15-113 (158). If Armagh don't get a high score in this game alarm bells will be ringing loudly before the All Ireland group stage.

general_lee

Antrim gave away significant leads against Down, Fermanagh and Cavan. They got absolutely hammered by Westmeath (bit of an anomaly) hence the scoring difference. While I agree Armagh should be winning this, I won't be surprised if they're pushed all the way, certainly won't be expecting any cricket scores.

bennydorano

Be nice to see a team set up with attacking intent like:
Rafferty
McCambridge, Forker, Morgan
C Mackin, McCabe, J Burns
Crealy & Grimley
Soupy, Grugan, TK
Murnin, O'Neill, Turbitt

Injury is going to rob of us of a few of those potential options, so the Tyrone league line out likely again.

No disrespect to Antrim but we should be winning this without a lot of certain starters and I'd imagine that's what we'll want to do to keep the powder dry for Cavan.

tonto1888

Quote from: Captain Obvious on April 02, 2023, 11:21:23 PM
Antrim playing in Division three conceded more than any other team in the league this year 15-113 (158). If Armagh don't get a high score in this game alarm bells will be ringing loudly before the All Ireland group stage.

Alarm bells are already ringing loudly. That said I expect us to beat Antrim with a bit to spare and then lose to Cavan

yellowcard

I expect Antrim might put up a challenge for 20-25 minutes but would expect us to ease away as the game develops. I don't expect us to suddenly transform into this swashbuckling kicking team though, expect more hand passing and possession based game with zonal defending but our superior conditioning and forward threat will be enough. Bigger tests will lie ahead though so I wouldn't read too much into this match. 

dec

The GAAGO website is not showing any championship games yet
https://www.gaago.ie/matches/live
Anyone know if a list of games is available anywhere else?

5times5times

This fella here does an update every week of all the channels... https://twitter.com/fotoole13?lang=en

Live GAA TV & streaming this week:

Wednesday
7pm: Cork v Tipp (U20H) - TG4 YouTube.

Saturday
5pm: Armagh v Antrim (SFC) - BBC NI.
11pm: New York v Leitrim (SFC) - GAAGO.

Sunday
2pm: Limerick v Kilkenny (HL final) - TG4
4pm: Mayo v Roscommmon (SFC) - RTÉ 2.

Armamike

We never manage to beat Antrim by much.  Wouldn't be surprised if this is another close enough game for long periods.
That's just, like your opinion man.

rrhf

illdecide

Quote from: rrhf on April 04, 2023, 09:29:29 AM
What will they do about the colour clash..

I'm sure if there was a colour clash they'd change tops but I'm pretty sure yellow (saffron) and Orange are quite distinctive.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Armamike

That's just, like your opinion man.

marty34

Is it the home or away team that changes jersey or do they toss foss for it?

Dreadnought

Quote from: marty34 on April 04, 2023, 11:44:55 AM
Is it the home or away team that changes jersey or do they toss foss for it?

Do both not normally change for Championship?

Gael85