Armagh v Antrim, USFC Prelim. Round - Athletic Grounds, April 8th, 5pm

Started by balladmaker, April 02, 2023, 11:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gael85

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on April 08, 2023, 06:15:57 PM
Anyone else ever think rafferty is dodgy under the high ball

Definitely.  He flapped at 2/3 balls in this game.

Blowitupref

FT Armagh 0-20 Antrim 1-8. Very routine win for the home side,  I don't think their next opposition Cavan will know anymore than they didn't already after watching that match.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

bennydorano

Job done, with a few starters missing, exactly what McGeeney would have been looking as Cavan really would have learned very little. Turbitt MOTM but I thought Duffy put in a savage shift, McPartland with 0.4 from MF certainly put his hand up!

Wildweasel74

Doesn't know to just come out to fist it and then misses the ball all together.

Itchy

Armagh never got out of 1st gear and they didn't need to. Antrim were shocking, so many terrible turn overs and poor decisions from them.

Captain Obvious

20 points scored and Armagh didn't have to break sweat. Could see today why Antrim conceded 23 points per game average in Division 3 this spring.

Dreadnought

Absolutely. Cavan will be taking notes from that game. As poor as Antrim were, they showed multiple times how Armagh can be got at in the backs.

Brick Tamlin

I'm not just referring to this game but rather in general he's dodgy as hell under the high ball dropping in around the square. The odd big take from the clouds doesn't paper over that weakness.
As shockingly bad as Antrim were, they still should have had another 2 goals and at times cut through relatively easy.

This will give mcgeeney the shitz and they will have the bus parked
for cavan next day out.

bennydorano

Quote from: Dreadnought on April 08, 2023, 07:26:39 PM
Absolutely. Cavan will be taking notes from that game. As poor as Antrim were, they showed multiple times how Armagh can be got at in the backs.
An Armagh team that  could have 5 or 6 changes for Cavan. Conor O'Neill, Paddy Burns, J Og Burns possibly to come in in defence, Rian O'Neill & Murnin in attack. A lot of competition for places assuming injuries clear.

yellowcard

You'd have to wonder how Antrim beat Cavan in the League because they were shocking today. For a championship game they put up no resistance and Armagh need not have been any better than average. I think Rafferty has been a big success as goalkeeper but sometimes he is too busy getting involved in plays he has no need to. Today was one of those days. Turbitt rightfully got MOTM and McPartland was excellent on his debut but other than that we will have had tougher training matches.

When you see the gulf in standard between divisions 1 & 3 I'm more confident that we can see off Cavan the next day out but nor would I expect them to be as easy as todays opponents as they're probably a division 2 outfit. We'll need Rian O'Neill, Burns and possibly Murnin back for for that game.

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: Kidder81 on April 08, 2023, 07:04:57 PM
Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on April 08, 2023, 07:01:12 PM
Didn't like the commentator.

Philly McMahon talking about KPIs ffs

I'd no issue with that or mcmahon in general. Langan clearly didn't know any first names.

anportmorforjfc

Quote from: bennydorano on April 08, 2023, 06:38:13 PM
Job done, with a few starters missing, exactly what McGeeney would have been looking as Cavan really would have learned very little. Turbitt MOTM but I thought Duffy put in a savage shift, McPartland with 0.4 from MF certainly put his hand up!

Duffy really? Has been shocking this past few games. Gives nothing going forward and always looks suspect defensively.

Dreadnought

Quote from: bennydorano on April 08, 2023, 07:38:41 PM
Quote from: Dreadnought on April 08, 2023, 07:26:39 PM
An Armagh team that  could have 5 or 6 changes for Cavan. Conor O'Neill, Paddy Burns, J Og Burns possibly to come in in defence, Rian O'Neill & Murnin in attack. A lot of competition for places assuming injuries clear.
No doubt. Rafferty still shaky enough under a high ball. Can't take much from that game, but some things can be looked at to try including targeting a high ball into that area