USFC Semi Final - Doire v Muineacháin

Started by GrandMasterFlash, June 12, 2007, 09:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farniel

Was thinking the same thing. He might not start but would definitely be a viable option for Banty if things go belly up at the back.

bingobus

Heard tonight that club are only getting 10 stand tickets for game. Apparently only 1500 seats in Casement.

Am i right in thinking this is only the covered stand and that the uncovered seats will be pay at the gate on Sunday?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: bingobus on June 19, 2007, 02:44:40 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on June 19, 2007, 02:10:51 PM
I take it since the Moen brothers are back on the squad that McCarville has nothing to do with the monaghan side anymore!
It was actually the Banty (Seamus McEneaney) who chased the two of them a couple of years back. Dropped Dessie off panel for breaking a drinking ban. JP quit in protest, as Dessie claimed it was all very innocent and unfair considering what other players had gotten away with.
They had such good years with club last year, he had no choice but to approach them.
ah right - thanks for hat. I used to work in he same place as their sister who was telling me how they just fell out with some guy and he just hounded them after that. Dont think i was just a case of them drinkin or lack of discipline etc, this was a long and ongoing protracted problem that ended up with the guy in quesion looking for excuses/reasons to kick them off the panel. Trying to rem, but I even think it was some family dispute etc.
They are good players - though I hope they dont play too well on Sunday!

Mid Mon

Monaghan's starting 15 remains the same.

The Monaghan senior football team and subs to face Derry in the Ulster Senior Football Championship on Sunday 24th June 2007 at Casement Park has been named. Throw in 3.30pm.

Monaghan team v. Derry
1 Shane Duffy S. Ó Dufaigh Machaire Cluain
2 Dessie Mone D. Ó Mocháin Clauin Tiobraid
3 Vincent Corey U. Ó Comhraí Cluain Tiobraid
4 Colm Flanagan C. Ó Flannagain Acadh na Muileann
5 Damian Freeman (Capt) D. Mac an tSaoir Machaire Cluain
6 Gary Mc Quaid G. Mac Uaid Tigh Thalainn
7 Donal Morgan D. Ó Muireagáin An Bhoth
8 Eoin Lennon E. Ó Lionnáin Leachtain
9 Brendan Mc Kenna B. Mac Cionna Scairbh na gCaorach
10 Dick Clerkin R. Ó Cléirchín Currachain
11 Paul Finlay P. Ó Fionnalaigh Béal Átha Beithe
12 Stephen Gollogly S. Mac Ghallóglaigh Carraig Mhachaire Rois
13 Ciaran Hanratty C. Ó hAnnrachtaigh Baile na Lorgain
14 Shane Smith S. Mac Gabhann Cláirsigh Mhuineacháin
15 Thomas Freeman T. Mac an tSaoir Machaire Cluain
16 Padraig Mc Bennett P. Mac Benéid Baile na Lorgain
17 Rory Woods R. Mac Conchoille Domhnach Maighne
18 John Paul Mone SP Ó Mocháin Cluain Tiobraid
19 Gary Mc Enaney G. Mac An Eanaigh Carraig Mhachaire Rois
20 Stephen Fitzpatrick S. Mac Giolla Phádraig Leachtain
21 Mark Duffy M. Ó Dufaigh An Bhoth
22 Darren Hughes D. Ó hAodha An Bhoth
23 Ciaran Hughes C. Ó hAodha Baile na Lorgain
24 Conor Mc Manus C. Mac Maghnuis Cluian Tiobraid
25 Mark Daly M. Ó Dalaigh Buíochar
26 James Coyle S. Mac Giolla Chomhaill Naomh Bríd, BAC.
27 Hugh Mc Elroy A. Mac Giolla Rua Leachtain
28 Paul Meegan P. Ó Miogáin Inis Caoin
29 Shane Mulligan S. Ó Maolagáin Acadh Bog
30 Dermot Mc Ardle D. Mac Ardghail Baile na Lorgain

Team Manager: Seamus Mc Enaney.
Selector: Adrian Trappe.
Team Trainer: Martin Mc Elkennon.

thebandit

It wouldn't be a shock to see JP start in place of Morgan on Sunday

GrandMasterFlash

Maybe not Bandit, but I reckon Morgan will be pulled out the field to help crowd out the MF area. He seemed to be working a lot out round there again Down. Definite man marking job for Dessie on Bradley and Vinny on Muldoon. Good idea to keep Benny at MF as this is where Derry are very physical...

charlie linkbox

I'd have put JP Mone at full back to mark Muldoon. He dealt well with a couple of high balls when he came on the last day. I'd put Dessie Mone in one corner to mark Bradley with Colm Flanagan in the other. My half back line would be Corey with Damien Freeman and McQuaid on either side of him. I'd leave Donal Morgan on the bench. Think that has a more solid look about it.

But maybe Banty knows better than me........

tbrick18

There's more to Muldoon than catching high balls, but it is one of his strengths alright. No matter who marks him, he will always get a good share of the high balls and result in scores.
And as for Paddy Bradley....even when well marked he'll be worth 4-5 points for Derry. Maybe Monaghan would be happy enough with this? I dont really see Monaghan being able to shackle these too guys for a full match and reckon they will come out on top no matter who on the Monaghan side marks them.

In saying that, the Monaghan forwards could well come out on top of their markers too as there is a distinct lack of pace in the Derry full back line and Hanratty and co will exploit that I would imagine.

All in all, an evenly balanced game I think, but with Derry's experience, Bradley and Muldoon getting more supply of ball than Monaghan forwards as Derry should dominate the middle third should take make it 4-5 points to Derry.

Notice a lot of "should"'s in that comment!

Maximus Marillius

Grandmasterflash I see banty doesnt see Woods as wing half forward either...eh?...eh?

bingobus

Does anyone know if the open seating in Casement is ticket only or is it the covered satnd that is Ticket only.

fer fox ache

You will be able to pay for open seating at the gate

thebandit

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on June 20, 2007, 11:38:24 AM
Maybe not Bandit, but I reckon Morgan will be pulled out the field to help crowd out the MF area. He seemed to be working a lot out round there again Down. Definite man marking job for Dessie on Bradley and Vinny on Muldoon. Good idea to keep Benny at MF as this is where Derry are very physical...

Derry have 3 good midfield men, Clerkin is going to have to up his game and Finlay will have to produce for 70 mins

BTW I know my way around Belfast  ;)

Real Talk

Folks

One of the reasons Derry had a big won in their last championship game with Monaghan was because Damian Freeman got injured late in the first half and he is Monaghan's most influential player.  I don't see this as being other than a very close game,  there is lots of room for improvement in ths Derry team.  How are they going to cover the frailities of Kevin McCloy (he does not need to leave the big square)if Monaghan get quality ball into T Freeman and Hanratty.  I think Diver should be played in a central midfield role with Gilligan creating space for him to attack down the middle.  Even PB does play he will still be 'off the pace' and Enda will have a more difficult time against the Monaghan defence.  So where are the scores going to come from???.   Wilkinson is too fragile at County level and lacks penetration and we need Mark Lynch to start performing in a half-forward role, forget about needles soloing and deliver the ball in quickly.  This is a team game amd at the moment we're playing like individuals.  There has been some harsh criticism of Michael McGoldrick who had Antrim's pest player to mark(C J McGourty)and I think he deserves another chance because he's an excellent club corner back.   My team would be:

B Gillis; M McGoldrick, K McCloy and G O'Kane; Patsy Bradley, SM Lockhart and C McKeever (lacks match fitness);  F Doc, J Diver and J Conway; M Lynch, C Gilligan and Paul Murphy (good left foot and can score from long range); P Bradley and E Muldoon       I am assuming P Cartin won't be fit.

Not much pace in the forward line, but C Devlin, G Donaghy and R Wilkinson would make able substitutes

Blacksheep

What's the forcast for Sunday? That Casement is a wet hole.
Blacksheep - a reckless and unprincipled reprobate!

GrandMasterFlash

The forecast is Sunny with Showers, though that could change.. The surface in Casement is one of the best in Ulster in my opinion and the only thing it lacks is post-match atmosphere..