The Work Place

Started by LC, February 10, 2023, 06:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LC

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/02/09/sales-director-61-awarded-70000-boss-says-didnt-want-team-bald/

Found this very interesting,  I have sat on a quite a few interview panels and have always found that I subconsciously would not favour anyone once they are 50+ which is kind of hypocritical when I am not far off that  age myself.

At the end of the day we will all have to work to our mid / late 60s therefore can not help but think cases like this will be more common.

Milltown Row2

What's the average length of  time an employee works for one company? 5 years?

If you bring in someone that's 51 (me lol) baldy (again me) but has experience and success in that role within a previous job surely that's better than some of the buck eejits ya see now coming out of college?

We've a few roles within our company that we can't fill for more than a few weeks. When people realise you actually have to work to achieve they lose interest!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

This thread reminded me of reading this today.

https://www.armaghi.com/news/armagh-news/teen-sexually-harassed-by-boss-in-armagh-ice-cream-parlour-awarded-54000/199928

A query for the law bods. How on earth was a wee girl working part-time in a sweet shop award £54k when I have seen people working full time jobs leave tribunals with a lot less.

Before I get pounced on I have no issue with the facts of the case or the outcome but I'm genuinely curious as to how the figure is reached when she was probably making 4 quid an hour for 10 hrs a week! It's mostly for "injury" rather than loss of earnings but how do they come to such a figure when that Telegraph article shows a man earning 60k was awarded 70k.

brokencrossbar1

In this particular case there seems to be a significant amount of aggravated damages given the nature of the actions and I suspect the age gap between the employer and employee. Sexual discrimination will always attract a higher level of compensation

Tony Baloney

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 10, 2023, 08:01:55 PM
In this particular case there seems to be a significant amount of aggravated damages given the nature of the actions and I suspect the age gap between the employer and employee. Sexual discrimination will always attract a higher level of compensation
Earlier reports hadn't much detail but plenty in the later versions. Why would it not have been a sexual assault case if there were allegations of inappropriate touching of a minor?

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

armaghniac

Quote from: LC on February 10, 2023, 06:54:52 PM
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/02/09/sales-director-61-awarded-70000-boss-says-didnt-want-team-bald/

Found this very interesting,  I have sat on a quite a few interview panels and have always found that I subconsciously would not favour anyone once they are 50+ which is kind of hypocritical when I am not far off that  age myself.

At the end of the day we will all have to work to our mid / late 60s therefore can not help but think cases like this will be more common.

Or you might want to join the Guards
https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/upper-age-limit-of-35-for-new-garda-applicants-is-discriminatory-labour-court-rules-1430505.html
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

general_lee

Think younger ones are easier to mould into the type of employee you want rather than someone a bit older who has  been round the block or has bad habits that they can't shake. In my own experience older staff are always hard work and always have an inbuilt sense of entitlement.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: general_lee on February 10, 2023, 09:45:19 PM
Think younger ones are easier to mould into the type of employee you want rather than someone a bit older who has  been round the block or has bad habits that they can't shake. In my own experience older staff are always hard work and always have an inbuilt sense of entitlement.

Being an ageist! What age are you (within a bracket? ) 40 to 50?

Would you feel you are entitled type person? Unable to adopt?

You can't give off about racists and be ageist  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

general_lee

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 10, 2023, 09:56:40 PM
Quote from: general_lee on February 10, 2023, 09:45:19 PM

Being an ageist! What age are you (within a bracket? ) 40 to 50?

Would you feel you are entitled type person? Unable to adopt?

You can't give off about racists and be ageist  ;)
I'm the right side of 40.. for now  ;)

I wouldn't say I'm entitled, I believe in honesty & hard work.

No one deserves preferential treatment or an easy ride because of their age though; but some people expect it. I wouldn't hire/not hire someone based on age, merit only! I'm just pointing out why some employers might lean towards hiring younger ones based on my experience.. If you want I'll write a page long essay on why young people are lazy, spoofing bullshitters!

Hoof Hearted

Hitting 52 next week and just started a new job in the new year
Wouldn't say I was head hunted but my name came up in a conversation and I got a call
Age means nothing, if you're good enough you're young enough
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on February 11, 2023, 09:51:36 AM
Hitting 52 next week and just started a new job in the new year
Wouldn't say I was head hunted but my name came up in a conversation and I got a call
Age means nothing, if you're good enough you're young enough

Exactly Hoof!! If I was thrusted into a new job age wouldn't concern me

David McKeown

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 10, 2023, 08:54:42 PM
Earlier reports hadn't much detail but plenty in the later versions. Why would it not have been a sexual assault case if there were allegations of inappropriate touching of a minor?

Well on a general level it may also have been.  Sexual assault is a criminal matter and therefore involves the state and the individual which wouldn't afford proper compensation to a victim.  It would also require a case to be proved to the criminal standard (beyond a reasonable doubt).   The employment matter is a civil case between two individuals (i include businesses as individuals here for ease).  Its set up to award proper compensation and relies on the much lower burden of proof namely on the balance of probabilities.

It would not be unusual for both to take place or for just the civil proceedings to take place due to issues over whether or not the evidence met the criminal standard or even for just criminal proceedings to take place due to victims not wishing to take the financial risks of running a civil case.  In this instance I think I read the individual had actually previously been convicted of sexual assault on this victim but I may be wrong about that
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: David McKeown on February 11, 2023, 10:35:49 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 10, 2023, 08:54:42 PM

Well on a general level it may also have been.  Sexual assault is a criminal matter and therefore involves the state and the individual which wouldn't afford proper compensation to a victim.  It would also require a case to be proved to the criminal standard (beyond a reasonable doubt).   The employment matter is a civil case between two individuals (i include businesses as individuals here for ease).  Its set up to award proper compensation and relies on the much lower burden of proof namely on the balance of probabilities.

It would not be unusual for both to take place or for just the civil proceedings to take place due to issues over whether or not the evidence met the criminal standard or even for just criminal proceedings to take place due to victims not wishing to take the financial risks of running a civil case.  In this instance I think I read the individual had actually previously been convicted of sexual assault on this victim but I may be wrong about that

He pleaded guilty to common assault and agreed to be on the Risk of Sexual Harm register. Obviously the evidence wasn't strong enough for sexual assault otherwise the PPS would have pushed it given the age of the young girl and the position of power her employer had over her. I see it all the time in work where allegations of sexual harassment are made and the variety and range of them is scary but also very easy to make. Many are legitimately made but I have seen an increase in situations where people are lining up their employers. People know how to use the system and equality legislation in NI is very strong in favour of the employee. If the Commission get their hands on a case the employer is bucked!

quit yo jibbajabba

This is better than Ally McBeal on here today, watching you two in action 😉😃