NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

Derry getting stronger. But 3 of their better men on the U-17 2020 team only Murray and Gilmore starting games at the minute which probably a sign of a experienced team to start with. Downey who was the best player on that team only bck after multi long injuries, but I feel he can make a different up front in the nxt few yrs if he stays injury free. Higgins to me has something to offer in the nxt few yrs too. But the best underage player I see coming up is Danny McDermot who only 18, so Derry do have players coming, Along with the previous 2 years of minors the likes of Rodgers and McKinless, Bradley drop off In 4yrs time. Had McAvoy and Murray been playing against Down U20 last year I feel we won that game. Silly of Gallagher playing them against Fermanagh when they weren't needed.

JoG2

Quote from: Derryman forever on April 02, 2024, 07:57:18 PM
Quote from: Truthsayer on April 02, 2024, 07:33:40 PM
Quote from: Derryman forever on April 02, 2024, 07:30:38 PM
Quote from: Truthsayer on April 02, 2024, 06:20:21 PM
Quote from: Derryman forever on April 02, 2024, 04:44:42 PM
Quote from: Truthsayer on April 02, 2024, 04:42:46 PMBit of an overreaction to Derry's 'win'... it was a draw fulltime and extra-time and Dublin won't be so pourous come championship. However I think that's Derry's full hand albeit impressive.

You think Dublin were not playing to win?
Not in the way they would a big championship game. Did you ever see their backline so loose? Could easily have conceeded six goals. I'd be very surprised if they are as pourous in June/July.

So you do think they weren't playing to win?

They wouldn't have celebrated like they just won the World Cup lol!. I don't think they were overly bothered.

Do you think someone celebrated like they won the world cup?
Who was that?

Best to smile and scroll on...sock puppetry #tootsayer

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 02, 2024, 10:08:32 PMDerry getting stronger. But 3 of their better men on the U-17 2020 team only Murray and Gilmore starting games at the minute which probably a sign of a experienced team to start with. Downey who was the best player on that team only bck after multi long injuries, but I feel he can make a different up front in the nxt few yrs if he stays injury free. Higgins to me has something to offer in the nxt few yrs too. But the best underage player I see coming up is Danny McDermot who only 18, so Derry do have players coming, Along with the previous 2 years of minors the likes of Rodgers and McKinless, Bradley drop off In 4yrs time. Had McAvoy and Murray been playing against Down U20 last year I feel we won that game. Silly of Gallagher playing them against Fermanagh when they weren't needed.

Wasn't Eoin McEvoy on that Derry U17 All-Ireland winning team?

marty34

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 02, 2024, 09:16:33 PM
Quote from: marty34 on April 02, 2024, 07:04:02 PMI think people have got on to penalties now. It's not an issue anymore.

Finishing the game on the day, after extra-time and penalties is fine.

It's hapoened a few times in big games now. Definately a lottery but good entertainment for all.

Everybody knows the drill now.
They're a scourge on the game.

I think there's bigger issues in the GAA.

I can't see it being re-visited now.

imtommygunn

Yes McEvoy on it. https://derrygaa.ie/derry-crowned-all-ireland-minor-champions/

Penalties only way to do it with calendar so compressed. No way for example could you have had a replay on Sunday plus it wouldn't be fair flogging them with more extra time.

yellowcard

I've no issues with penalties, I actually like the drama that it brings and I know we've suffered more than anyone with 3 big shoot out defeats in the last 2 seasons.

If you haven't done enough to win the game in 90-100 minutes of football then you can have no complaints afterwards. It's also a good test of nerve and skill.

Truthsayer

Penalties are a scourge copied from soccer. No big deal on Sunday for league final but to decide a championship game on penalties is appalling.. totally demeaned last years Ulster final.

RedHand88

Quote from: Truthsayer on April 02, 2024, 10:53:35 PMPenalties are a scourge copied from soccer. No big deal on Sunday for league final but to decide a championship game on penalties is appalling.. totally demeaned last years Ulster final.

If they went to a replay I've a feeling you'd  have yapped about the grab all association and how the referee gave Dublin a soft free to force a replay.... am I close?

markl121

Quote from: Truthsayer on April 02, 2024, 10:53:35 PMPenalties are a scourge copied from soccer. No big deal on Sunday for league final but to decide a championship game on penalties is appalling.. totally demeaned last years Ulster final.
LOL no it didn't

RedHand88

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 02, 2024, 09:16:33 PM
Quote from: marty34 on April 02, 2024, 07:04:02 PMI think people have got on to penalties now. It's not an issue anymore.

Finishing the game on the day, after extra-time and penalties is fine.

It's hapoened a few times in big games now. Definately a lottery but good entertainment for all.

Everybody knows the drill now.
They're a scourge on the game.

They are for Armagh. The other 31 counties have no problem.
The funny thing is penalties were invented in Armagh.

Truthsayer

Quote from: markl121 on April 02, 2024, 11:05:05 PM
LOL no it didn't
The great history of Ulster championship finals reduced to a penalty shoot-out. At least replay a final. Lol it did. 

Armagh4sam2024

Agreed. While a penalty shoot-out is exciting it's no way to end a gaelic match. 45s perhaps.

Truthsayer

Quote from: RedHand88 on April 02, 2024, 11:04:56 PM

If they went to a replay I've a feeling you'd  have yapped about the grab all association and how the referee gave Dublin a soft free to force a replay.... am I close?
Not even close... GAA had replays for 100 years plus then it seemed penalties were introduced during Covid year to get games completed. Unfortunately they've been kept on. I don't really care about that league final on Sunday but to see the Anglo Celt Cup won on a penalty shoot-out or county and club teams totally eliminated from a championship on penalties, no I don't agree.
Is the next step penalties to decide who wins the Sam Maguire Cup if its a draw? Jees!

RedHand88

Quote from: Armagh4sam2024 on April 02, 2024, 11:33:23 PMAgreed. While a penalty shoot-out is exciting it's no way to end a gaelic match. 45s perhaps.

Why is this any different? I thought the main objection to penalties was that it wasn't fair to lose a game that way?

Derryman forever

Quote from: RedHand88 on April 03, 2024, 07:44:16 AM
Quote from: Armagh4sam2024 on April 02, 2024, 11:33:23 PMAgreed. While a penalty shoot-out is exciting it's no way to end a gaelic match. 45s perhaps.

Why is this any different? I thought the main objection to penalties was that it wasn't fair to lose a game that way?

Precisely.
I am no fan if penalties but why would 45s be better.