Hurling 2024

Started by seafoid, January 01, 2023, 08:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Quote from: seafoid on July 06, 2023, 10:13:40 AM
At least he won his all Ireland.
A fabulous player.

No doubt and he definitely is, but it is one of those ones of what could have been.

Such a talent.

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: johnnycool on July 06, 2023, 09:41:07 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on July 05, 2023, 02:02:26 PM
Always baffled me as to how Flynn didn't kick on and fulfil the huge potential he had..

Various managers just didn't seem to trust or rate him, when it looked like he would be the man to build a forward line around.

Serious power and pace and well able to hurl just never seemed to kick on to that next level that he looked like he could have had.

Maybe slightly sore on and not fully aware of other circumstances, but just how it appears from the outside looking in.

A strange one alright.

I think he was travelling between the US and home so training was probably on the light side and hard for a manager to start or even put on ahead of other lads who are training full tilt, but I thought he was home full time the last few years.

He more often than not has an impact from the bench so was always a strange one that he never really started much.
That was Johnny Glynn who was in America

marty34

Quote from: Two Hands FFS on July 06, 2023, 12:51:59 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on July 06, 2023, 09:41:07 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on July 05, 2023, 02:02:26 PM
Always baffled me as to how Flynn didn't kick on and fulfil the huge potential he had..

Various managers just didn't seem to trust or rate him, when it looked like he would be the man to build a forward line around.

Serious power and pace and well able to hurl just never seemed to kick on to that next level that he looked like he could have had.

Maybe slightly sore on and not fully aware of other circumstances, but just how it appears from the outside looking in.

A strange one alright.

I think he was travelling between the US and home so training was probably on the light side and hard for a manager to start or even put on ahead of other lads who are training full tilt, but I thought he was home full time the last few years.

He more often than not has an impact from the bench so was always a strange one that he never really started much.
That was Johnny Glynn who was in America

Ating a heap of sh*te!

mouview

Quote from: NAG1 on July 06, 2023, 10:26:01 AM
Quote from: seafoid on July 06, 2023, 10:13:40 AM
At least he won his all Ireland.
A fabulous player.

No doubt and he definitely is, but it is one of those ones of what could have been.

Such a talent.

In particular, had a fine match in the 2015 semi' v Tipp, when he nabbed 4 points from play. Got a dinger in the final too as I recall. I think self-belief more than anything has held him back, has all the physical talents. (Has also had to overcome personal tragedy in his life, sadly.)

full moon

Are the hurling semi finals under the radar this week,? Talk of not great ticket sales in one match

seafoid

Quote from: full moon on July 06, 2023, 08:21:22 PM
Are the hurling semi finals under the radar this week,? Talk of not great ticket sales in one match
Very little coverage . No interviews.

imtommygunn

They're live on BBC. That feels like a first.

didlyi

Indo says they expecting 60k+ at KK  v Clare and 40-45k for LK V Gal. I think they have it in reverse as the top decks of the stands are not open for the KK game.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/06/23/nicky-english-tipp-tend-to-score-plenty-and-concede-plenty-but-i-think-theyll-come-out-on-top

I was impressed by Galway's attack in the Leinster final against Kilkenny. Conor Whelan was in the best form I've seen him for a while. He looked fit and strong and was outstanding. Evan Niland's free-taking was top-class but I was also impressed by how easily he found space for himself.

Kevin Cooney has serious potential. He may have frittered away a lot of scoring chances in Kilkenny but the reason Galway were winning the Leinster final down the stretch was because of him, fielding ball and shooting at will. He has great pace and is a player who I think we will hear a good deal about in future.

Limerick may fear Galway more because the Leinster final performance – until the late calamity – had a lot to recommend it and they did enough to win

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/07/07/joe-canning-galway-need-to-bring-savage-aggression-to-beat-limerick/

Every game involving Limerick is physical and Galway will need to bring savage aggression tomorrow. The way Galway set up will be crucial. If they approach the semi-final the same way they did the quarter-final I think they have very little chance.

Against Tipp, they got a lot of bodies into their own half of the field, and snuffed out Tipp's goal threat. That worked on that day, against that opposition, but Limerick are a completely different proposition. I'm convinced that the only way to beat the All-Ireland champions is to push up and put massive pressure on the ball in their half of the field. Don't let them walk it out. Really squeeze them.

Galway stood off Limerick last year and tried to win the game with shots from distance. If they had converted half of the shots they missed they would have won the match, but shooting from distance all the time is not a percentage play. Galway will need to come up with something better than that.

toby47

Anyone interested in any premium level tickets for Sunday? I have a few for sale, PM me.

BuzzCagney

Kilkenny 9/2 to championship to great odds. Will beat clare and will rattle Limerick in the final.

Blowitupref

Quote from: didlyi on July 07, 2023, 12:34:48 PM
Indo says they expecting 60k+ at KK  v Clare and 40-45k for LK V Gal. I think they have it in reverse as the top decks of the stands are not open for the KK game.

Yeah they have it in reverse.

Last year  39,626 was at the Clare v Kilkenny semi final and 52,215 at Limerick v Galway. 
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Milltown Row2

Will Limerick's injuries prove to be their undoing tonight?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Blowitupref

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 08, 2023, 04:48:21 PM

3 from the starting 15 in last years AI final?

Sean Finn,Declan Hannon,Graeme Mulcahy*  and replacements Mike Casey,Cian Lynch and Peter Casey

*named on the bench this evening.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 08, 2023, 05:24:29 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 08, 2023, 04:48:21 PM

3 from the starting 15 in last years AI final?

Sean Finn,Declan Hannon,Graeme Mulcahy*  and replacements Mike Casey,Cian Lynch and Peter Casey

*named on the bench this evening.

Finn and Hannon big losses, Lynch seems to be still playing himself back in from his injury, that said they have been goal hungry and the defence is tight.

Hoping for it to be full pelt
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea