RTE 1 9.30 Michael - The Sound of Sunday

Started by magickingdom, June 11, 2007, 08:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magickingdom

following michael o muircheartaigh thro the 2006 championship... should be very good

armaghniac

Good program, Michael is a genuine Gael and gives real character to his commentary. The old clips of Cavan were good, when will be see their likes again.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Louth Exile

I saw it at Christmas, good programme, but it is not a patch on the TG4 equivalent for Micheal O Heir
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

rosnarun

Brilliant program. really brought a tear to the eye It rang so true as His life was very similar to my own fathers never have ben on a bus till he went to the  Preparatry school ,  moving to dublin  for teacher training and really only  knowing about Croke Park pioneers lifetime teaching and every thing in Irish a different world completley. the only part my father was missing was the 50 years of broadcasting ALL irelands (and the genius family).
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Jinxy

His daughter is a fine looking young wan!
If you were any use you'd be playing.

TORGAEL

Watched this for the second time last night-excellent show.

AZOffaly

Yeah, I thought it was a great and poignant programme. His enthusiasm for the games really shines through watching him commentate. Fair play to his daughter, I'd say she's invaluable to him.

It was funny watching them try to be impartial doing the commentary, but before each Mayo goal in the AIF, her hand went to her mouth in an 'Oh No' moment :D

the Deel Rover

its a pity he stayed loyal to the radio though,as a result we have to listen to that gobshite Ger Canning for our sins
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Black Magic

Saw him in Paddys in Toormakeady two weeks ago with the Byrnes Babes. He gave a talk for an hour after the races in Ballinrobe on the history of irish sports broadcasting. There was a very big crowd there and you could here a pin drop while he was talking. It was some night

Louth Exile

Quote from: the Deel Rover on June 12, 2007, 03:23:42 PM
its a pity he stayed loyal to the radio though,as a result we have to listen to that gobshite Ger Canning for our sins

He'd actually be wasted on television. You already have the pictures with TV, at least when you do have to listen to a game on the radio he puts the pictures in your head! I'm sure I'm not alone in sometimes turning down the television and listening to the comentary from either Micheal or Brian Carthy on the radio....
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Louth Exile on June 12, 2007, 03:40:53 PM

He'd actually be wasted on television. You already have the pictures with TV, at least when you do have to listen to a game on the radio he puts the pictures in your head! I'm sure I'm not alone in sometimes turning down the television and listening to the comentary from either Micheal or Brian Carthy on the radio....

Your probably right Louth Exile , i turn down the tv myself but with sky digital its annoying as you hear whats on the radio about a second or 2 before it occurs on tv
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

5 Sams

In fairness lads Carthy isnt in the same class as MÓM....I'd go further and say his whiney voice would annoy the hell out of ye >:(
The Aristocrat Years

AZOffaly

I actually prefer to listen to him without any TV pictures, because he paints it so well, and to be honest he's getting on a little bit and tends to make a couple of errors. I prefer not to see the error, and just get caught up in the game as he sees it. The errors are usually player mis-identification, so I'd prefer not to see the pictures, and just assume he is correct all the time :D

Before there was so many games on TV, I used to love a summer drive over to Galway or somewhere, park up on Barna strand with an ice cream and Michael on the car radio. The Salad Days of childhood :D

Louth Exile

Quote from: the Deel Rover on June 12, 2007, 03:56:55 PM
Quote from: Louth Exile on June 12, 2007, 03:40:53 PM

Your probably right Louth Exile , i turn down the tv myself but with sky digital its annoying as you hear whats on the radio about a second or 2 before it occurs on tv

Its a curse doing it with the Sky alright, need to be watching the telly the old fashioned way for it to work.
Disagree with you 5Sams, IMO Mc Carthy is very good, no MO'M alright but still v good

AN other

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 12, 2007, 03:21:08 PM
His enthusiasm for the games really shines through watching him commentate.

It was very enjoyable watching him virtually jumping around the commentating box on occasions. I doubt he likes having to sit in the seats in the upper Hogan in Croker!!!

Only gripe with the programme was that you'd think we didn't score against the Dubs in the quarter final at all last year, we were bad, but we did score the odd one...Micháel obviously wasn't getting too excited about anything Westmeath did that day!