2006 All Stars

Started by Spiritof98, November 22, 2006, 11:29:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magickingdom

delighted for seamus moynihan and paul galvin in particular. since kerry are the best team in the country by a mile they could have given one to mccarthy as well...

stephenite

Would it be fair to say that Mcgarrity and D. O'se cancelled each other out in the final ? I don't think either of them had great games, whilst O'Se was immense all year, Mcgarrity wasn't that far behind him in terms of work rate and ball winning.
Hard to argue with the team I suppose but I still feel McGarrity should have sneaked in ahead on Murphy, possibly. Maybe

Jack Dempsey

Quote from: stephenite on November 22, 2006, 09:06:26 PM
Would it be fair to say that Mcgarrity and D. O'se cancelled each other out in the final ? I don't think either of them had great games, whilst O'Se was immense all year, Mcgarrity wasn't that far behind him in terms of work rate and ball winning.
Hard to argue with the team I suppose but I still feel McGarrity should have sneaked in ahead on Murphy, possibly. Maybe

McGarritty missed most of laois replay and most of semi final through injury. That is what cost him in my book. Also Did nothing in the final.

The funny thing about Mike McCarthy is he didnt even get a nomination. Did miss most of the league though.

J70

Delighted for Karl Lacey. Richly deserved award, as he was superb all season (and last year, in what was a poor season for the team), even popping up from corner back to get two points against Derry.

Johno07

Lads whats this about Mortimer being lucky, I know hes a bit of a pleb and i dont particularly like him myself but he was topscorer from both play and frees plus the all-stars are based on the whole year not just one match so theres no arguing with his selection.
"For the highs to be high the lows have to be low!"

youbetterbelieveit

All in all, there is very little anyone can argue with the selection, for my piece

I thought McCarthy (kerry) could have got in, other than that i think the selection committee, got it right.

Hound

Quoteyet gets recognised because he is a Dub and always gets talked up
Such utter bollíx.

Dublin get their first All Stars in 4 years and still people come out with this thrash.

Must have been nobody talking about Dublin last year when they became the first Leinster champions to receive no All Star awards. Nobody must talk about Ciaran Whelan that he's only got one award in 11 years. Or maybe the mythical overhyping that is so hyped by many culchies actually makes it harder for Dubs to get All Stars...

I didnt see all Mayo games during the year, but I saw a few. And while Dillon and Mort had good years, I thought McDonald contributed more than either. He's another who suffers at the hands of begrudgers, when he's brilliant he's brilliant, when he's not brilliant he's shíte.

Mayo4Sam

I was at all but the mayo matches bar the london match and dillon and mortimer were both better player over the course of the season.
Sillon was our best player and mort did the scoring.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

nrico2006

Surprised owens got one, played 1 good game, then roasted by Clarke in replay.  Cooper was average for the majority of the year, maybe family issues contributed, but he didnt deserve one.  Be interesting championship next year, with a hungry injury free tyrone back in the frame
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 22, 2006, 04:54:22 PM
QuoteWasnt Owens fecked outta the way like a little boy by Clarke in the ulster Championship

Not sure, I didn't see it. Everyone saw what Donaghy did to Bellew. To suggest Bellew should have got the Allstar is a joke and an example of the kind of shit that loses us good contributers on this board.

New Board; same old same old. Francie did not really deserve one, but to claim otherwise is not the fantasy that you suggest.

It was far from a vintage year as regards full backs and it could have gone to others. Francie was shortlisted, so him getting it would not have been inconceivable as Owens didn't particularly stand out.

It was commented on here at the time, certainly by Hardy if my memory serves me well, that the ref effectively killed the Francie v Donaghey contest with his use of the yellow early on and the immortal line "once more and you're off!" It was after this that Donaghey did the damage.

Edit - forgot to add - congratulations to Ronan Clarke - well deserved!  :)

muscles magoo

Owens award was a soft one.
Hard to argue too hard against any of the rest although there will always be fellas in hard luck when there is only 15 places up for grabs.

Lone Shark

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on November 23, 2006, 11:11:10 AM

It was commented on here at the time, certainly by Hardy if my memory serves me well, that the ref effectively killed the Francie v Donaghey contest with his use of the yellow early on and the immortal line "once more and you're off!" It was after this that Donaghey did the damage.

At the risk of coming across a little bit high and mighty which is not the attention, I would suggest Francie killed the contest by fouling him so many times and forcing the Ref into doing this. It's not like his card was unwarranted, he had been blatantly hanging out of Donaghy all day. Blaming the Ref is a little bit disingenuous to my mind.

I will say this - it was harsh on Francie that of the nominated full backs, he was the only one that actually had to mark Donaghy this year, the other two were untested in that regard and it's fair to say that they mightn't have done any better. Francie failed a test that neither owens nor Canty sat, as it were.

Gnevin

Over all very fair  cullen must of just missed out but i can see why with the quality in the line up. Well deserved for Brogan and Culxton
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

dubnut

"Cluxton is a good keeper who hardly stood out this year and yet gets recognised because he is a Dub"

::)

If all it takes to tip the scales in your favour in being a Dub then surely Cullen would have got one too?
Silly argument, I am not argueing for Cullens inclusion, I think the selection was more or less right, but that shite sickens my hole.

Northside Dub

Good selection, probably the fairest in a few years! both Clucko and Brogan rightfully deserved theirs! i didnt expect anymore than what we got!
"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect."