Who is your favourite Irish saint?

Started by T Fearon, June 06, 2007, 01:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerlik

Wasn't St.Eugene a Co.Derry saint?  I'm not sure if St.Canice is Derry though - always thought he was a Cat.

My favourites are St.Columba and St.Brigid.  My primary school name in Ireland and my church here in Perth, and my mam's name.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

red hander

St Petersburg for beating the huns in the UEFA Cup final this year

T Fearon

Not forgetting St Mirren for beating them in this year's SPL ;D

boojangles

St Kevin of Glendalough
The Cathedral in Cavan town is named after St Feilim,while my own club grounds out the road is named after St Feilim.
He must be the patron saint of Cavan.
St Mogue is another Irish Saint,theres a school up north Cavan in Bawnboy named after him

ziggysego

Diarmaid the Just

Diarmaid the Just was a Catholic monk and famous Irish confessor of the mid-sixth century.

He was of princely origin and a native of Connacht. About the year 530, he founded the great monastery of Inchcleraun on Lough Ree, in the Diocese of Ardagh. Wishing to found an oratory far from the day-to-day distractions of civilization, he selected the isolated island associated with the memory of Queen Meav, Inchcleraun.

Here his fame soon attracted disciples, including Ciaran of Clonmacnoise. He was a good teacher, and also a distinguished writer and poet. On the island seven churches are traditionally said to have been erected, and the traces of six are still in evidence, including Teampul Diarmada, or the church of St. Diarmiad. This oratory, eight feet by seven feet, is said to have been Diarmaid's own church. The monastic school he founded kept up its reputation for fully six centuries after his death, and the island itself was famous for pilgrimages in pre-Reformation days. His feast is celebrated January 10.
Testing Accessibility