Square Ball.....

Started by Louth Exile, June 05, 2007, 02:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

With three wrong calls made in eight days under the square ball rule, what should be done to address it?

Abolish it as it serves no purpose in the modern game
11 (36.7%)
Put an official in the stands to make the call
9 (30%)
Nothing, everything is rosy in the garden
10 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: June 17, 2007, 02:31:45 PM

Louth Exile

Does something not need to be looked at for Senior Intercounty matches???
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

AZOffaly

that's a fiarly restrictive set of choices there Louth Exile. I'd have added 'Give Umpires the power to call a square ball'.

Personally though, I'd like instant replay. A goal is a natural stoppage in play anyway, so the impact shouldn't be that great.

I would allow Umpires call it, and if the Referee thinks they are a bit unsure, or if he disagrees, he should have the option of calling the 'TMO'. Same principle as rugby. Not every score has to be reviewed, just the dodgy ones.

It's too much to say everything is rosy in the garden. In my opinion, if a TMO was used, Armagh would be playing Tyrone, Longford would be playing the winners of Louth and Wexford, and Meath would be waiting for Offaly or Carlow.

That's a dramatically different scenario from the real life situation today.

AZOffaly

Of course there is a point to it. If we didn't have some form of square ball rule, you could just plonk a Kieran Donaghy type in on the goal line and launch balls in on top of him. Imagine the scrums that would take place inside there then?

It'd be fair messy and there'd be a lot of schmozzles if there was no square ball rule at all.

The Real SlimShady

get rid of it my hole, and have some fat f**ker standing in on top of the keeper? get a grip.

imtommygunn

From what I have seen the ref. in general takes the umpires opinion but the problem has been the umpires haven't made the call! This then creates a problem like the Longford goal where the ref. calls it himself when there shouldn't be any need for it. I reckon that in the Longford Laois game the ref. had this in mind and that was why he erroneously called the square ball.

If umpires kept an eye on the square and the ball - even agreed between the two of them that one keeps more of an eye on the ball coming in and one keeps more of an eye on the square then this might help. Ultimately in a lot of cases the umpires haven't been looking near the square. They just need to be more vigilant in this regard and I don't think the whole square ball thing would be an issue.

AZOffaly

The umpires have no right to call a square ball at the moment. I think that is the problem. Granted at club level you see a lot of auld bluffers trying to call a square ball, but I suppose the umpires are probably briefed when they go to a county game.

That's one of the problems though, I *would* gove the umpires the power to call a square ball.

supersarsfields

Naw I'd leave it the way it is. If there's doubt then I'd favour the forward. Personally square ball should only be rightly called if like AZ mentioned there was someone virtually sitting in the box way before the ball in was played. It the attacker arrives slightly before the ball I'd play away as i would be too hard to call. For me that Donegal one is a perfect example of what would prob be classed as a techical Square ball but I reckon they are the sort of ones were the benifit of doubt should be with the forward.

Ard Ri

Is a great brand of clothing!!!- Get your GPAP t-shirt, (Gaelic Players Arn't Paid) or your Club and County hoodie, Squareball, all available on www.squareball.com

Hardy

Lads the umpires can't even call the scores/wides right. How do you ecxpect them to adjudicate on the dynamics of square balls?

AZOffaly

I know you are being facetious there Hardy, but I'd expect them to be able to do it because they are closer than anybody else. If they are not sure, or there is a bit of doubt, use the TMO.

prewtna

as far as i know, (if one of kevin mcstays columns in the mayo news is to be believed), its the ref's call for a square ball, the umpire has no right to call it, but you will often see the umpire help the ref to make up his mind. he in fact has no right to do this. the ref must make the call despite the fact that he may be 50 yards away when forced to make the call.

its simple rule. the umpires should call it, they are on the spot. no need for video replays or the likes.

AZOffaly

As far as I am aware, that is correct Prewtna, hence my preference above.

Star Spangler

Even if the umpire can't signal a square ball, surely he should wait until the ref makes the decision before raising the green flag?  Once the flag is waved it's near impossible to go back from it.

The Real SlimShady

Quote from: Ard Ri on June 05, 2007, 03:05:35 PM
Is a great brand of clothing!!!- Get your GPAP t-shirt, (Gaelic Players Arn't Paid) or your Club and County hoodie, Squareball, all available on www.squareball.com

ye'll have to give me a discount code and enable yerself to accept Maestro before I purchase  ;)

Hardy

A few people around me made that remark on Sunday Star Spangler, that the umpire was too quick with the flag.