No
Who is King Charles?
What about Diana the People's Princess?

Kidder81

I can't get my head round these eejits queuing, currently a 12 hour wait  :-\

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Kidder81 on September 16, 2022, 08:09:09 AM

To us that is mental but to your average English person this is their Queen. It is huge for them and this is one of the most significant historical events in English history.  It would be churlish to underestimate that. The concept of Great Britain is teetering on the edge. She has been a constant for the majority of the population the whole of their lives. This is a huge moment in history and many want to be part of it. At the heel of the hunt though they reckon about half a million will visit her over the period of laying in state. With a population of close to 70m that's only a drop in the ocean.

Franko

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 16, 2022, 08:58:03 AM

To us that is mental but to your average English person this is their Queen. It is huge for them and this is one of the most significant historical events in English history.  It would be churlish to underestimate that. The concept of Great Britain is teetering on the edge. She has been a constant for the majority of the population the whole of their lives. This is a huge moment in history and many want to be part of it. At the heel of the hunt though they reckon about half a million will visit her over the period of laying in state. With a population of close to 70m that's only a drop in the ocean.

It is clearly nuts, but I do remember as a child, queueing in a very long line to file past the coffin of Cardinal O'Fiaich many years ago in the Cathedral in Armagh

Us Irish are not averse to getting caught up in a bit of hysteria either

snoopdog

The coffin isn't even open so all they see is the royal coat of arms draped over the coffin .

seafoid

It's hard for Irish or French people to understand the English fascination with royalty.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Franko on September 16, 2022, 09:08:05 AM

It is clearly nuts, but I do remember as a child, queueing in a very long line to file past the coffin of Cardinal O'Fiaich many years ago in the Cathedral in Armagh

A very good comparison. The Cardinal was as close as we got to 'royalty' in terms of position and respect.

Aristo 60

The wife couldn't understand the walking past the coffin but I remembered doing the same for the Cardinal. 1990 I see it was. I'm sure it was 30 minutes though and not 12 hours. If John Hume had lived to see the 32 counties as one and maybe became its first president, we'd all have gladly walked past that coffin too.

gallsman

Only 500k? Is that correct? They've been queueing for miles and miles for days. If it was only 500k I'd be very surprised.

johnnycool

Queued 70 odd minutes in Disney to get on a Spiderman 3D ride which lasted 2 minutes max, but I suppose the wee ones loved it, but swore never to do anything like that again and I'll stand by that no matter who's in the pine box with whatever bunting draped over it...

armaghniac

Sure look at the crowds at the George Best funeral, an alcoholic footballer.

It is a moment in history. I think though they should probably have travelled overland from Scotland and given people a chance to stand in their own town.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

paddyjohn

Whole thing is wrong.

Royals are absolute scumbags.

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: armaghniac on September 16, 2022, 12:10:27 PM

It is a moment in history. I think though they should probably have travelled overland from Scotland and given people a chance to stand in their own town.

If this had happened 20/30 years ago when she wasn't an old woman I don't think there would have been the same mass hysteria that there is now. I'd put much of this down to her simply being just an old woman now and everyone relates to that with their granny.

seafoid

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on September 16, 2022, 12:29:09 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on September 16, 2022, 12:10:27 PM

If this had happened 20/30 years ago when she wasn't an old woman I don't think there would have been the same mass hysteria that there is now. I'd put much of this down to her simply being just an old woman now and everyone relates to that with their granny.
I was in London when Diana died and it was the same social contagion. The Royals are the ultimate soap opera and class system pinnacle combo.

seafoid

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11218809/Queens-eight-grandchildren-hold-special-vigil-coffin-Saturday-night.html
Prince Andrew, who also stepped back frontline royal duties in the wake of the Jeffrey Epstein sex scandal, is set to be given special dispensation to wear his colours on Friday night, when the Queen's four children will hold another vigil.

He will join King Charles, Princess Anne and Prince Edward in standing guard, having also done so at St Giles' Cathedral in Edinburgh earlier this week.

The exception was made for the Duke of York to wear uniform for the vigil at Westminster Hall as a 'final mark of respect' for his mother.

Orior

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 15, 2022, 03:35:04 PM
Didn't think Liz would have got to 12 + pages.. Ya wee royalists

As someone else said, we'll keep it going until the Month's Mind.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians