Assaults at GAA games

Started by Rudi, September 01, 2022, 11:57:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Quote from: ONeill on September 02, 2022, 08:51:21 PM
What's the official ruling on a manager/mentor setting foot on the pitch during a game?

Sent out to all Derry club secretaries this year re team officials

"if they enter the pitch then they are cautioned and sent off for second offence."

Also, if both teams are along the same line, only the manager is allowed to move up and down the line and isn't allowed past their 65m line.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

JoG2

Quote from: ONeill on September 02, 2022, 10:05:45 PM
Has this ever been enforced?

I seen it at 1 game this year, but the manager in question was on at least his 9th warning, so strictly not I suppose.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Eire90

does the guy in question have some stranglehold on the community

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on September 03, 2022, 12:17:22 AM

We wouldn't get through a game sadly

I've put dozens of coaches/managers off the pitch...

It's very simple, I'm not there to listen to that crap, if they want to start shouting at me they are gone. If you allow it, it will continue, if they refuse you have the 3 minute rule, if after 3 minutes he hasn't moved the game is abandoned

I get frustration I get the feeling of not getting the 50/50 calls but you cross the line it's done for me.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Eire90

if you domt respect the ref you dont respect the sport and have no place in the sport

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 03, 2022, 08:24:55 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on September 03, 2022, 12:17:22 AM

We wouldn't get through a game sadly

I've put dozens of coaches/managers off the pitch...

It's very simple, I'm not there to listen to that crap, if they want to start shouting at me they are gone. If you allow it, it will continue, if they refuse you have the 3 minute rule, if after 3 minutes he hasn't moved the game is abandoned

I get frustration I get the feeling of not getting the 50/50 calls but you cross the line it's done for me.

I agree, but managers Very rarely stay right side of the line , often just over excited and innocent but unfortunately sometimes it strays beyond that.

Itchy

I remember a case from a few years ago where a particular head case in a club ran onto the field and struck a referee. County board gave him life ban and referee sued the gaa and got a pay out. However, for some reason the ref didnt report it to the gardai. The culprit was at matches the following week after his ban. The reason being he is a complete thug and anyone who might approach him and ask him to leave a match might find their house on fire the next day. So good people said and did nothing. So my point is with some of these people the local club cannot control them and it really needs the gardai/psni to step in and help.

armaghniac

There needs to be a clear policy that this type of thing is reported to the police authorities, it would help if judges would injunct offenders to stay away from all GAA events and if Croke park need to ensure that clubs have no discretion to allow people back into games etc.
Offences between players are harder to call, because they build up from pushing and shoving to striking. But a ref does not engage in any physical interaction with players and should be defended from attack as any person on the street would. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

grounded

Quote from: armaghniac on September 03, 2022, 12:21:47 PM
There needs to be a clear policy that this type of thing is reported to the police authorities, it would help if judges would injunct offenders to stay away from all GAA events and if Croke park need to ensure that clubs have no discretion to allow people back into games etc.
Offences between players are harder to call, because they build up from pushing and shoving to striking. But a ref does not engage in any physical interaction with players and should be defended from attack as any person on the street would.

+1 great post. Only way to solve this.

befair

Refs need to take a stand themselves; striking for one weekend in one county isn't enough.
We also need a culture change; any regular forumites will know how often the ref is blamed. A team could shoot forty wides, and still the ref will be picked on.
Refs are human and make mistakes, like anyone else. A particular problem is the tackle, so often it's a judgement call as to whether it is a foul or not.

Wildweasel74

There a famous one running round of a Derry league game yrs ago (I not mention teams or player) and 2 players run by a midfielder and his own player accidently hit his own nan a fair clip in the head going for the ball, lad turns round, see the ref only man behind him and thumps him. Got him 2 yrs.

Wildweasel74

Matter of fact, try Ref hit at ( your relevant county) gaa game on Google and see what comes up. In relation to my own county it ridiculous and that's the only ones which are actually reported.

Eire90

so the gaa has  problem with psychopaths infiltrating it