Engagement ring for proposing abroad

Started by BrotherMore6592, August 18, 2022, 05:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Agreed, some of ye are disgracefully cheap.

When it comes to the 4 C's, most women will basically tell you to prioritise carats above all else. If it doesn't have visible blemishes and isn't yellow-y, don't worry about trying to get a higher quality one. Bump up the size instead.

laoislad

Surely anyway in this era of feminism and womens fight for equality , the tradition of a man buying a woman an engagement ring will die out.
They don't need men for anything they tell us so surely they can also buy their own engagement ring if they really want one. 
Is it not a bit sexist anyways,in a once you put this on you're finger you're mine now sort of way.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

PadraicHenryPearse

I bought a ring for a few hundred to propose with. To be honest I still think it is nicer than the engagement ring.

brought her to pick the engagement ring (something she really enjoyed doing), there was a number of options ranging from 500-7500 brought out to try on. she/we didnt look at prices until she had them on and decided if she liked it or not, in the end she picked one for 1300/1500 that she said suited her.  think I was willing to pay 4k/5k...

it all pales in comparison to what she will spend of your money on the house stuff (as it goes out of fashion!!!) etc.

Jeepers Creepers

No matter what you spend it will never be good enough lol Spend what you can afford.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: laoislad on August 18, 2022, 08:08:32 PM
Quote from: An Watcher on August 18, 2022, 07:15:24 PM
Wait til ye hear eternity ring mentioned
What is that and when will I have her bothering me looking for one?

After the first year or first child is born. I got my missus one as a Christmas present. After the first child was born.

To the OP,  I intended to propose abroad myself. But the thought of getting it through security made me shit myself. So I proposed by following a few fellas here by doing up a poem for her in the hotel room the night before we flew. I slept like a log, while she was excited about it and hardly slept a wink all night.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

imtommygunn

Basically if you never let her speak to other women you'll be grand. I got harassed by her mate for the eternity ring and spent a fortune on it lol.

Engagement I picked myself. I had no clue what I was at and went in to Luhns which is a dear diamond place. I picked one and then asked the boy what if she says no. He said - she won't say no lol.

Bigger not necessarily better. Depends on the person. If you know her well enough to be proposing you should know her well enough in terms of what jewellery she likes.

AustinPowers

Quote from: Turf on August 18, 2022, 06:58:33 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on August 18, 2022, 06:26:48 PM
I made the mistake of letting her pick the ring.  She ended up picking one that was double my budget and then nothing else would do for her.  Ended up delaying the engagement by about 8 months
More fool you for agreeing to that.

That was my thought too

gallsman

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 18, 2022, 09:45:35 PM
Basically if you never let her speak to other women you'll be grand. I got harassed by her mate for the eternity ring and spent a fortune on it lol.

Engagement I picked myself. I had no clue what I was at and went in to Luhns which is a dear diamond place. I picked one and then asked the boy what if she says no. He said - she won't say no lol.

Bigger not necessarily better. Depends on the person. If you know her well enough to be proposing you should know her well enough in terms of what jewellery she likes.

The point is that all other things being equal to the naked eye, bigger is definitely better for 99.9% of women. A VVS1 will be more expensive than a VS1 but you'll not have a clue unless you study the cert. And women don't give a flying f**k about the cert

Rudi

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 18, 2022, 09:45:35 PM

Bet you say that to all the ladies ;D

clarshack

Spent £1200 in 2001 which the BOE inflation calculator says is now worth just over £1800. The wedding ring is much cheaper lol.

BrotherMore6592

Thanks all, I've a lot to think about !!

screenexile

Tom a risk and went ahead and bought the ring myself based on an overheard conversation between herself and her friends early on.

Went to Gardiners in Belfast and found them very helpful. I picked the ring paid for it and they offered if it didn't suit we could come back later to pick the right one if need be.

Luckily she loved it and it fit think it was somewhere around £1400-1500 can't remember anymore but think I paid cash and got a bit of a discount.

Eleven years ago now.

JoG2

trailer

Proposed abroad myself. All a surprise. Had the ring in my pocket and had to empty them at the security gate! The guy spotted it and disappeared it from her eyes thankfully. So if it's a surprise think about that!

I paid a good bit. Definitely 2 or 3 months salary back then in 2006 and picked it myself. I had an idea of what she liked. She loved it. Needed to get it resized and the jewellers said to me at the time they do it FOC. Wedding ring was a fair but cheaper mind you. I think you need to spend or you end up with something that looks like it came out of Argos. This is the woman you want to marry and spend the rest of your life with. It's a one time buy.
But I'm not into jewellery myself and my wedding ring was plain gold band £180 at the time. She wanted me to get something platinum and that looked like a nut for a bolt. Hard No! Sometimes the fancy male stuff goes in and out of fashion quickly.

Anyway engagement and marriage is fantastic. Good luck and enjoy it.

Got the eternity ring a few years ago. Trust me it doesn't get cheaper lol!