Wedding Venues

Started by Mac Eoghain, June 05, 2007, 10:57:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac Eoghain

Hopefully I get plenty of opinions on this - we are trying to book a wedding venue in the next few weeks, we have set a range of somewhere within an hour's drive of Armagh, all advice welcome! Also, is there a reason why most weddings tend to be south of the border? Are there 'black' places worth avoiding?

gawa316

Hard to beat Lusty Beg near Kesh and the Killy Hevlin just outside enniskillen. Good photo opportunities. Harvey's Point near donegal town is also some spot

Billys Boots

Quotewe are trying to book a wedding venue in the next few weeks

Is this because you have time on your hands after fixing Rufus' computer??  :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Ballymascanlon - couldn't beat it.
Tbc....

amallon

See your Ballymac and raise you a Harvey's Point.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Goats Do Shave

Was at a few different venues last year, here's my opinion on a few of them (as a guest...)

Four Seasons, Monaghan, Brilliant! – Spacious, bar at each side of the dance floor. Food was great & Service too!
Westenra Arms, Monahan, Nice. – But the pillars at the side kind of splits the party a bit. – Not much room to maneuver!
The Old Inn, Crawfordsburn, - Lovely gardens if you get a nice day. Food is great, but the dungeon late on is a bit tight!
Galgorm Manor, Ballymena, - Fantastic spot! – Liked everything about it!
The Corrick House, Clougher, - Lovely grounds....wedding party will split up a bit though!
Glenavon, Cookstown, - Not my favourite!
Greenvale, Cookstown, - Better than the G'avon!

For you Mac...Monahan is handy – so go for the four seasons!

full back

Have been to the Four Seasons recently Mac, it is a good spot.
But personally it is hard to go past the Canal Court in Newry

Donagh

The Four Seasons ticks all of the boxes alright but like Galgorm Manor and the La Mon I've always found it a bit stuffy or something. The best weddings I've ever attended have all been at the Carrickdale. Have been to a few functions at the new hotel in Carlingford (Four Seasons?) and they've also been very good – handy as well for those who want to nip away for a few quick ones or for a dander down the pier to get the head showered.

Fear Boirche

Had our wedding in Cabra Castle last year. Would highly recommend it. Lovely setting, the staff are excellent, the service is top class and the food was the best I've had. It's between Carrickmacross and Kingscourt and although it may be a wee bit of drive, it is worth. I often find it's good to get away, staying over at a wedding is half the craic. I have to say I've been to quite a few weddings in the Canal Court, Newry and while the food and service is great, it really falls down on the setting for me. Not great for photos and nowhere to go for a wee dander after the meal. The Four Seasons in Carlingford is new enough, but they're starting to get into their stride now and the setting is hard to beat. Good luck with it anyway.

Tony Fearon

Quote from: Mac Eoghain on June 05, 2007, 10:57:52 AM
Hopefully I get plenty of opinions on this - we are trying to book a wedding venue in the next few weeks, we have set a range of somewhere within an hour's drive of Armagh, all advice welcome! Also, is there a reason why most weddings tend to be south of the border? Are there 'black' places worth avoiding?

You should go for Rome Mac Eoghain. It'll save you a fortune on the guestlist.

thewobbler

Got done in Cabra Castle myself and I couldn't level one complaint at the place. Good luck to you getting a date in there for the next two years though.In my opinion it's a much nicer place to get married than new-fangled hotels like the Nuremore and Canal Court. Top class service and grub in those, but not the same atmosphere.

I've been at a few weddings in the Hillgrove and though its' improved to be of a similar quality to the Nuremore and CC, it suffers from the same problem os being a bit stuffy. It's a concrete jungle outside it.

Was in Darver Castle last week (between Dundalk and Ardee) and thought it was superb as well, although there is a serious lack of accommodation onsite.

The Bernish Suite in the Carrickdale for some reason does produce a great atmosphere for a wedding.

The Ballymac should be much better when the extension opens. It's a fine place, but the main room was too small and full of pillars.

Hank Everlast

I sit in a small office with (believe it or not 3 brides to be) so im an expert on this stuff now!!!
Cavan Crystal - food class, unique romantic....
the newmore hotel carrickmacross - beautiful surroundings, classy place

pintsofguinness

f**king hell its getting worse. i come on here to get away from this kinda talk!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

phpearse

Booked into the Nuremore this August for the wedding. Was at a friends wedding there a yr ago and it was very good so hopefully it should tick all the boxes this time around. Was also considering Cabra castle. Both had the distinct advantage is that they only do one wedding at a time, so you're assured of their full attention and you won't be bumping into 2-3 brides in the foyer. Hillgrove, 4 Seasons all cater for more than one wedding and with good staff difficult enought to find, I would worry about their ability to cater for a few weddings and keep the level of service and food high. Whatever venue you decide upon always go to the venue on an actual wedding day and look at the room layout the day of the wedding, see what you like and don;t like about the room, see how many staff they have on.

This may be a touchy area but I tend to like an english speaking person serving me food. Was at a wedding recently in Donegal and a yound Polish lad was serving us and he just couldn't speak english. So when we asked for gravy he just didn't know what we wanted. Eventually one of us had to get up and go to the kitchen to get gravy!!!