Kerry v Galway, All-Ireland Senior Football Final. 24 July, 2022

Started by IolarCoisCuain, July 11, 2022, 10:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mouview

Quote from: rrhf on July 21, 2022, 01:00:26 PM
Was at those. Felt Joyce had the winning of the drawn game but he stayed out of position and away from Moynihan.  Galway were weak enough in those two games. They showed a little bit of the white flag and didn't bring the Galway Roar.  I havent been convinced about Galway football since having the stomach for it. Meath the following year were done. Do the Galway men on here believe they are ready or is it another hopeful Connaught crusade?  Kerry will eat hope for breakfast.. Its what they do...   

Galway were listing badly in the first half of that match, (not helped by Tomas O'Se's liberal use of the fist on Ml. Donnellan), so Joyce had to be moved out to centre-forward, away from Moynihan, to help Galway get a toehold back into the match. Which he did, admirably. As stated, Galway were missing Mannion and Fallon in 2000, absolute key players from 1998. They could only beat what was in front of them in 2001, and Meath had walloped the defending champions in the semi that year.

Kerry have displayed plenty lack of stomach also in their time. With the greatest of respect to Armagh, 2002 was defeat snatched from the jaws of victory while they somehow contrived to throw away last year's semi to Tyrone. For some reason Kerry frequently have problems with Ulster sides, whereas good Galway teams never fear northern opposition.

sensethetone

Quote from: mouview on July 22, 2022, 12:14:24 AM
Was at those. Felt Joyce had the winning of the drawn game but he stayed out of position and away from Moynihan.  Galway were weak enough in those two games. They showed a little bit of the white flag and didn't bring the Galway Roar.  I havent been convinced about Galway football since having the stomach for it. Meath the following year were done. Do the Galway men on here believe they are ready or is it another hopeful Connaught crusade?  Kerry will eat hope for breakfast.. Its what they do...   

Galway were listing badly in the first half of that match, (not helped by Tomas O'Se's liberal use of the fist on Ml. Donnellan), so Joyce had to be moved out to centre-forward, away from Moynihan, to help Galway get a toehold back into the match. Which he did, admirably. As stated, Galway were missing Mannion and Fallon in 2000, absolute key players from 1998. They could only beat what was in front of them in 2001, and Meath had walloped the defending champions in the semi that year.

Kerry have displayed plenty lack of stomach also in their time. With the greatest of respect to Armagh, 2002 was defeat snatched from the jaws of victory while they somehow contrived to throw away last year's semi to Tyrone. For some reason Kerry frequently have problems with Ulster sides, whereas good Galway teams never fear northern opposition.

Have Galway ever beaten Tyrone?

rrhf

Might have got my drawn game mixed with my replay point still stands...
So Galway have come back into fashion, by that I mean Galway don't follow trends a bit like down they rarely evolve successfully and then they come back into fashion...its their time in the cycle.  Is Sunday that bit in the cycle..

An Fhairche Abu

How does your point still stand when you've been shown to be incorrect, teams waving the white flag as you put it don't overhaul a 7 point deficit in any game. Kerry were the better team second day, Galway didn't play well, but you seem to want to push some other narrative, white flag implies cowardice or insufficient fight in a team. The same team came back to win the following year so with all due respect, I don't see the validity of anything you've said with regards to the Galway team of 98-01.

Reality of the last twenty years is that Galway simply haven't been good enough, you can say what you want there and there isn't much argument that can be made against it.
Sunday will tell the tale for this year, you reckon we'll be hammered, that may well be the case, there are weaknesses there that Kerry will target early to try and finish it as a contest early, whether Galway can weather that storm is an unanswered question until the game is played.
I'd be more hopeful of a good performance but Kerry have the better set of players and more experience at this level from 2014 and 2019, on paper they should win, games aren't played on paper thankfully.

Captain Scarlet

Bizarrely Galway are kinda in the long grass, despite being in an All-Ireland Final!
Even before the semi there was more talk of Derry than Galway. I was at that and the running off the ball from Galway to drag lads out of position and bring them up the field was amazing at times.

They have serious legs all over the field and more big mobile men. BUT, at the same time if Kerry get the tails up early it could be a disaster of a game.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Rossfan

Quote from: sensethetone on July 22, 2022, 07:15:58 AM

Pre or post 2003?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

blanketattack

Ah yes, the old myth about Kerry and Ulster teams.
Kerry have won 3 of their last 4 games v Tyrone, their last championship games v Armagh, Cavan, Derry, Monaghan, Antrim, Fermanagh, won their last final against an Ulster team (Donegal, 2014), leaving Down as the odd one out from Ulster. To Down all I can say is we bow before our superior Mourne overlords.

Kerry have also won their last game v Dublin.
You have to go back over 60 years for a Galway win v Tyrone or Dublin.

Against Connaught teams Kerry are unbeaten in finals in the last 56 years.
Munster are unbeaten v Connaught teams in finals for the same duration.

An Fhairche Abu

Long time ago in the 1956 semi-final, think there's been 3 (open to correction on that number) championship matches since that Tyrone have all won.

seafoid

No. Tyrone only got going in 1956. Mayo have a decent record against them.

sensethetone

Quote from: Rossfan on July 22, 2022, 10:12:00 AM

Pre or post 2003?

We used to get laughed at for only getting to an AI final if we met Galway in the semi.. FWIW I hope Galway win.

seafoid

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 22, 2022, 10:29:25 AM

Long time ago in the 1956 semi-final, think there's been 3 (open to correction on that number) championship matches since that Tyrone have all won.
Galway beat Cavan in 1956 in the semi. I think it was based on 1955 provincial winners.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: seafoid on July 22, 2022, 10:49:59 AM

Galway beat Cavan in 1956 in the semi. I think it was based on 1955 provincial winners.
Interesting, didn't know that one.

Manning18

Quote from: sensethetone on July 22, 2022, 10:47:44 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 22, 2022, 10:12:00 AM

Pre or post 2003?

We used to get laughed at for only getting to an AI final if we met Galway in the semi.. FWIW I hope Galway win.

Tyrone? With 4 AI's?

Blowitupref

It was Tyrone. http://places.galwaylibrary.ie/history/chapter178.html

Last league meeting between the two (Div 1 February 2020) Galway had a eye catching 2-25 to 0-12 win against Tyrone.  Nine that played then will start on Sunday. 
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Fear ón Srath Bán

Seafoid talking nonsense, was Tír Eoghain in '56.  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...