All Stars 2022

Started by ONeill, July 09, 2022, 11:19:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Yeah I think it is pretty much bang on too. Like you say maybe Rafferty as a shout but I am not sure O'Neill fits in there ahead of anyone that is there.

I wasn't sure Glass would get one but then I wasn't sure who else would get it in there either so wouldn't argue with it.

Walter Cronc

Really don't understand the push to get O'Neill an All Star.

He done nothing v Donegal in the Ulster champ. Tyrone were crap all year so irrelevant. Donegal in qualifier he was decent but not worthy of an All Star!

Brendan Rogers was hung out to dry by the Derry management and our 'goalkeeper' (for want of a better word) in the semi final. He deserved one IMO.

seafoid

A good result for Galway considering expectations at the beginning of the year. Fantastic recognition for McDaid who was immense. The new Michael Coleman.
Should help Joyce with a few of the exiles. 

Mario

Quote from: Walter Cronc on October 27, 2022, 09:36:35 AM

He done nothing v Donegal in the Ulster champ. Tyrone were crap all year so irrelevant. Donegal in qualifier he was decent but not worthy of an All Star!

Brendan Rogers was hung out to dry by the Derry management and our 'goalkeeper' (for want of a better word) in the semi final. He deserved one IMO.
If he had came off injured at HT in the Galway game he might have got one because he was flawless until that point in the season. The game was over by the second goal so i wouldn't blame the keeper; he lost the all star on the first goal. It's not a very fair system but people will remember the last game more than any, see Tom O'Sullivan.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Mario on October 27, 2022, 10:34:35 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on October 27, 2022, 09:36:35 AM

If he had came off injured at HT in the Galway game he might have got one because he was flawless until that point in the season. The game was over by the second goal so i wouldn't blame the keeper; he lost the all star on the first goal. It's not a very fair system but people will remember the last game more than any, see Tom O'Sullivan.

For me he was our best player all year and I just think its harsh on him. Gallagher should have had McKaigue on Comer but that's another story!

When does POTY get announced?

An Fhairche Abu

On the night, Clifford is going to walk it.

Maroon Manc

I'd have O'Sullivan over Morley who seems to have benefitted from been the free man at the back this year.

I'd possibly have Rhian O'Neill or McGuigan over Kilkenny but its not exactly the most controversial decision.

ClubScene13

Quote from: Armagh18 on October 27, 2022, 07:51:53 AM
Would have had Rian in over at least 4 of those named and probably Rafferty in nets as well but that's probably just bias.

It is just bias, aye.

Taylor

Overall it is a pretty accurate selection however I would have a couple of reservations.

The Armagh keeper could have got in and there wouldnt have been much furore.
Derry corner back had a great year
Kilkenny was a surprise

Armagh18

Quote from: Taylor on October 27, 2022, 12:18:34 PM
Overall it is a pretty accurate selection however I would have a couple of reservations.

The Armagh keeper could have got in and there wouldnt have been much furore.
Derry corner back had a great year
Kilkenny was a surprise
I suppose Dublin had to get one- poor year by their standards but still walked through Leinster and were only beaten by the All Ireland champions thanks to a last minute monster free. Think I would have them as favourites to win the whole thing next year.

Wildweasel74

Tom O Sullivan got roasted in the final so lost out, Comer touched the ball literally 4/5 times in final 70/75mins but is in. O'Neill could of got Full forward, Keeper I went with Rafferty.. Rodgers unlucky but got Comer hit well on top of him in the semi after a great start, should been playing Midfield anyway, with McKeigue on Comer.

Estimator

I'd say that 2 for Derry is fair enough, we were never going to get 3 or 4. I believe that McKaigue was always goin to get one regardless. So, if McKaigue had McCloskey's year and vice versa, McCloskey would still have lost out. Rogers can count himself v lucky as well. Had one poor half of football in this years C'ship.
Ulster League Champions 2009

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on October 27, 2022, 12:37:01 PM
Tom O Sullivan got roasted in the final so lost out, Comer touched the ball literally 4/5 times in final 70/75mins but is in. O'Neill could of got Full forward, Keeper I went with Rafferty.. Rodgers unlucky but got Comer hit well on top of him in the semi after a great start, should been playing Midfield anyway, with McKeigue on Comer.

Selection of players that Damien Comer outscored from play in the championship:
David Clifford
Sean O'Shea
Shane Walsh
Paudie Clifford
Rian O'Neill

Rian O'Neill is not hard done by any stretch.. Do ye want him to get it for one great free in the Q final and a big performance against Donegal in a Qualifier? Because that's the sum of it. Wasnt even Armagh's best performing player in the Q-final. There have been travesties in All Star selections but O'Neill isn't one.

McGuigan far unluckier not to get the nod up front.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Blowitupref on September 07, 2022, 04:03:18 PM
A stab at the possible team that i think will be selected

S Ryan
C McKaigue J Foley T O'Sullivan
J Daly.  T Morley G White
C McDaid C Glass
P Clifford S O'Shea C Kilkenny
S Walsh D Comer D Clifford

Kerry 8
Galway 4
Derry 2
Dublin 1

I nearly got the full set.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

nrico2006

Shane McGuigan doesn't do enough from play either and the Clare 'game' doesn't count.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'