Rail strike, RMT & Mick Lynch appreciation

Started by Joeythelips, June 22, 2022, 01:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: CiKe on July 29, 2022, 11:10:56 AM
It's not semantics. It's two entirely different things. The second of which - the actual policy - you may entirely disagree with.

However what he did was tantamount to insubordination. If Starmer hadn't reacted strongly, he would have basically said "I am a weak leader" and opened himself up to more of same.

Being a strong leader with weak policies isn't a good look and the reason Sam Tarry probably felt he'd to show some sort of solidarity with striking workers is that the Labour party under Starmer is weak in this regard and a few other areas.

Franko

Quote from: johnnycool on July 29, 2022, 11:35:24 AM
It's not semantics. It's two entirely different things. The second of which - the actual policy - you may entirely disagree with.

However what he did was tantamount to insubordination. If Starmer hadn't reacted strongly, he would have basically said "I am a weak leader" and opened himself up to more of same.

Being a strong leader with weak policies isn't a good look and the reason Sam Tarry probably felt he'd to show some sort of solidarity with striking workers is that the Labour party under Starmer is weak in this regard and a few other areas.

Couldn't have put it better.

Starmer hasn't much chance of winning back the old red wall seats with nonsense like this

Actions like this show him to be what a lot suspected he is - a man without the stomach for the big fights (that he should be fighting - IMO) but who'll happily wield the axe when the opposition is weaker

trueblue1234

Quote from: StephenC on July 29, 2022, 09:01:48 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on July 28, 2022, 06:25:07 PM
Quote from: StephenC on July 28, 2022, 04:29:54 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on July 28, 2022, 03:28:34 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 28, 2022, 10:49:50 AM
Technology is changing all the time and jobs will become easier to do with less manpower..

I was speaking to the shop assistant the other day and the place has brought in 4 self scanning machines, I was curious to know if they had let people go as they don't need to really serve people anymore, nope, gives them more time to stack shelves and do all the other crap they had to do on top of serving..

Be difficult enough to lose your job for the council I'm sure with that binman job they'll shift him to another sector within the council

Will we see a lot of places (public sector) going on strike action? seems to be a trend
I don't buy the Retail example for a second, the staff that were working on tills are redeployed to other duties surely but when ANY member of staff leaves down the line they are not replaced and the 2.5 till operator staff that was built into overall staff compliment disappears over time and the shop eventually operates with 2.5 fewer people. Self scanners are & will do away with jobs, may take a bit of time but it's a long term play. If I was a small business owner I'd call it progress but if I was a TU Rep I wouldn't.

Public Sector strikes can be headed off with decent pay rises, I doubt anyone is genuinely expecting an 8-10% pay rise but Government has to meet the Public Sector half way in the current circumstances.

It's not the government who pays for these pay increases. It's non PS tax payers who do. More money for the PS means less money for private sector workers.
This post makes little or no sense. Firstly all Public Sector workers are Tax Payers, Tax payers money is managed by the Government, so it's generally their call on pay awards. Private Sector workers are not paid by the Government.
[/quote]

Really ... it makes no sense? PS workers do not make a net contribution to the tax take (the givernment pay them money and then they give some back to the government). I agree that tax payers money is managed by the government (that's what we elect them to do), and also agree that we expect the  givernment to manage pay awards to the PS. I also agree that private sector workers are not paid by the government.

So with all that said, my 2 points remain:

• It's not the government who pays for these pay increases. It's non PS tax payers who do.
  • More money for the PS means less money for private sector workers.

WTF. Never one to stick up for PS workers but you seem to be forgetting about the little fact that they are still doing a job. Many are doing jobs that I would not like to take on. And many are on cushy numbers. Either way, your statement is nonsense. PS workers pay as much tax as everyone else ( more than some self employed).  Who their employer is, is irrelevant.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

CiKe

Quote from: Franko on July 29, 2022, 12:06:35 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on July 29, 2022, 11:35:24 AM

Couldn't have put it better.

Starmer hasn't much chance of winning back the old red wall seats with nonsense like this

Actions like this show him to be what a lot suspected he is - a man without the stomach for the big fights (that he should be fighting - IMO) but who'll happily wield the axe when the opposition is weaker

I don't disagree with either of you.

bennydorano

Quote from: StephenC on July 29, 2022, 09:01:48 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on July 28, 2022, 06:25:07 PM
Quote from: StephenC on July 28, 2022, 04:29:54 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on July 28, 2022, 03:28:34 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 28, 2022, 10:49:50 AM
Technology is changing all the time and jobs will become easier to do with less manpower..

I was speaking to the shop assistant the other day and the place has brought in 4 self scanning machines, I was curious to know if they had let people go as they don't need to really serve people anymore, nope, gives them more time to stack shelves and do all the other crap they had to do on top of serving..

Be difficult enough to lose your job for the council I'm sure with that binman job they'll shift him to another sector within the council

Will we see a lot of places (public sector) going on strike action? seems to be a trend
I don't buy the Retail example for a second, the staff that were working on tills are redeployed to other duties surely but when ANY member of staff leaves down the line they are not replaced and the 2.5 till operator staff that was built into overall staff compliment disappears over time and the shop eventually operates with 2.5 fewer people. Self scanners are & will do away with jobs, may take a bit of time but it's a long term play. If I was a small business owner I'd call it progress but if I was a TU Rep I wouldn't.

Public Sector strikes can be headed off with decent pay rises, I doubt anyone is genuinely expecting an 8-10% pay rise but Government has to meet the Public Sector half way in the current circumstances.

It's not the government who pays for these pay increases. It's non PS tax payers who do. More money for the PS means less money for private sector workers.
This post makes little or no sense. Firstly all Public Sector workers are Tax Payers, Tax payers money is managed by the Government, so it's generally their call on pay awards. Private Sector workers are not paid by the Government.

Really ... it makes no sense? PS workers do not make a net contribution to the tax take (the givernment pay them money and then they give some back to the government). I agree that tax payers money is managed by the government (that's what we elect them to do), and also agree that we expect the  givernment to manage pay awards to the PS. I also agree that private sector workers are not paid by the government.

So with all that said, my 2 points remain:

• It's not the government who pays for these pay increases. It's non PS tax payers who do.
  • More money for the PS means less money for private sector workers.
No, what you think you're saying and what you're actually saying are likely 2 different things.

Royal Mail staff (a Public Sector organisation) will be disappointed to learn you dont think they contribute to the Tax take of the UK Government. Just like BT, British Gas and the Railways all did too before they were sold off for buttons. The Railway networks exist in a hybrid state where the Public Sector bears a lot of the infrastructure costs and the franchise holders of networks reap the profits.

More money for Public Sector workers means less money for Private Sector workers??? 
You're going to have to explain that one

Also, my original point was the Government can avoid strikes by compromising on Public Sector pay, not sure why that set you off in the first place? Dont believe the Tories ffs, Maybe you'd prefer your Tax £ to go on defence? Liz Truss is promising to increase Defence spending by near 1% of UK GDP (UK GDP in 2021 was £2.2trillion)

Franko

Unfortunately the Daily Mail-esque propaganda machine has found a willing recipient here

johnnycool

Strikes at Oil refineries in Scotland and England today...

Shíts getting real.....

https://twitter.com/i/status/1557260008232034304

marty34

Quote from: johnnycool on August 10, 2022, 12:44:20 PM
Strikes at Oil refineries in Scotland and England today...

Shíts getting real.....

https://twitter.com/i/status/1557260008232034304

More power to them.

Companies making millions every year and screwing the workers over.

Companies like these and the Tories are a bad combination.

Eire90

tories and media will probably label the strikers woke soon

imtommygunn

You're either for us or woke is the new motto  :o

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 10, 2022, 03:15:47 PM
You're either for us or woke is the new motto  :o

Is being "Woke" a derisory term now?