Previous topic - Next topic

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Throw ball on May 04, 2022, 12:13:59 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 04, 2022, 12:10:13 AM
Quote from: balladmaker on May 04, 2022, 12:05:11 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 04, 2022, 12:00:15 AM
Quote from: Throw ball on May 03, 2022, 11:45:23 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 03, 2022, 01:36:37 PM
Does HMRC want any of your earnings if you are working in the South and living in the North?

If you are resident in the North you will have to pay your taxes in the North. Assuming Brexit doesn't change things down the line any tax you pay in the South can be set against the tax due under a Double Taxation agreement. Circumstances can be different from person to person - eg employed or self employed etc.- so it is normally best to get advice from an accountant who has experience in cross border matters.

I pay all my taxes to Dublin , i live in Derry

Anyone know what criteria dictates where taxes are paid?  It's obviously not place of residence in your case.

Nobody in my work pays taxes in North , 1500 of us, mostly Derry men and women

And they have all got confirmation that they are correct in doing so ?

I'd imagine so, never heard tell of anything different tbh, we are there 20 years now

armaghniac

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 04, 2022, 12:36:08 AM
I'd imagine so, never heard tell of anything different tbh, we are there 20 years now

The PAYE will cover your tax from your empployment and no futher tax may be due, but other income etc would have to be squared with the HMRC.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

I know a colleague who got a hefty tax bill when working in the south and living in the north... I'd be very careful, that's why I asked earlier
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Armagh18

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 04, 2022, 07:26:22 AM
I know a colleague who got a hefty tax bill when working in the south and living in the north... I'd be very careful, that's why I asked earlier
Had they other income in north like a rental property? Most lads working construction jobs in Dublin claim the 20% tax back in south then pay their tax in north. As far as I know if you are employed in south rather than self employed you pay your tax to Dublin.

RedHand88

You need to submit returns to both jurisdictions if you are resident in the North. PAYE will take care of your southern return if you are employed there. As someone else pointed out, your tax bill will be minimal or possibly zero in the North, but you still need to submit a return each year.
I'd advise anyone not doing it to be careful, thye can go back years if you're caught.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 04, 2022, 07:58:39 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 04, 2022, 07:26:22 AM
Had they other income in north like a rental property? Most lads working construction jobs in Dublin claim the 20% tax back in south then pay their tax in north. As far as I know if you are employed in south rather than self employed you pay your tax to Dublin.

Its a strange one to be fair, we would be a Southern based company but we have staff in the north and vast majority in the South, PAYE set up. So he was working in the south a couple of days a week and the north the rest.. Was under the illusion that through his PAYE that he'd be covered.

He's have been a big earner also. The tax bill like I said was hefty, so I'd just be wary of it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: RedHand88 on May 04, 2022, 08:10:59 AM
You need to submit returns to both jurisdictions if you are resident in the North. PAYE will take care of your southern return if you are employed there. As someone else pointed out, your tax bill will be minimal or possibly zero in the North, but you still need to submit a return each year.
I'd advise anyone not doing it to be careful, thye can go back years if you're caught.

I must just check it out, I know I can ring up HMRC for employment history letter at any time but I have never had to fill out a return, we are a global player and we have never been advised of this.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 04, 2022, 08:51:58 AM

I must just check it out, I know I can ring up HMRC for employment history letter at any time but I have never had to fill out a return, we are a global player and we have never been advised of this.

Be careful lol!! I had some tax issues recently, employer forgot to fill in correctly a P11D for a few years and the tax man had been taxing me for having company car and fuel benefit, I only caught on when I looked at one of the letters that came out, I very rarely give it a second look.

Spoke top pay roll and they sent out all the up to date info, They ended up in the first few letters for each year I owed them, and then a final letter with all that was owed by them! Thankfully the tax code was sorted and I got a nice little return form HMRC.

But what I noticed is this, if HMRC really dig into your PAYE regardless of how you think you are doing you'll generally always owe them.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 04, 2022, 09:01:44 AM

Be careful lol!! I had some tax issues recently, employer forgot to fill in correctly a P11D for a few years and the tax man had been taxing me for having company car and fuel benefit, I only caught on when I looked at one of the letters that came out, I very rarely give it a second look.

Spoke top pay roll and they sent out all the up to date info, They ended up in the first few letters for each year I owed them, and then a final letter with all that was owed by them! Thankfully the tax code was sorted and I got a nice little return form HMRC.

But what I noticed is this, if HMRC really dig into your PAYE regardless of how you think you are doing you'll generally always owe them.

Cheers

rosnarun

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 04, 2022, 09:11:13 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 04, 2022, 09:01:44 AM

Cheers

are you allowed to tele work from derry . i know some in our place , in letterkenny had bother, wonder dod we work inthe sam spot? did your employer change 18 months ago?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Baile Brigín 2

Kudos to the Revolut marketing department. They havve people recommending ir as an alternative because it's not a bank.

One slight problem. It is. It's a clever product, but it's ultimately a debit card.

The_geezer

Hi Folks, thought i would ask for advice here as this board is super helpful, just wondering on childcare costs for cross border workers.

Wife is about to start working in the south again, i work in the north and money is deducted from my salary for childcare vouchers, is there a similar scheme in the south where she can avail of this. She will be working for the HSE and the childcare provider is obviously in the north

any help appreciated

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: The_geezer on November 09, 2022, 03:28:06 PM
Hi Folks, thought i would ask for advice here as this board is super helpful, just wondering on childcare costs for cross border workers.

Wife is about to start working in the south again, i work in the north and money is deducted from my salary for childcare vouchers, is there a similar scheme in the south where she can avail of this. She will be working for the HSE and the childcare provider is obviously in the north

any help appreciated

Not sure but you get an uplift (difference) between north and south from Dublin also.

The_geezer

yeah we get the difference in child benefit, i was thinking more of tax relief that you get in the north towards childcare. i think a scheme in the south exists but not sure it covers northern childcare providers (if that makes sense)

armaghniac

Quote from: The_geezer on November 09, 2022, 08:51:20 PM
yeah we get the difference in child benefit, i was thinking more of tax relief that you get in the north towards childcare. i think a scheme in the south exists but not sure it covers northern childcare providers (if that makes sense)

In the south they have been giving money to child care operators, but that won't be of use to you.
However, if one parent remains working in the North then presumably that parent can claim the allowance. The person working in the south will also have to square the NI revenue and it could be claimed then.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B