Monaghan v Down USFC Sat April 30th

Started by wobbller, April 07, 2022, 07:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

Dare I ask, what excately happened in Dublin for their training session/weekend?

Mourne Red

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 13, 2022, 09:39:17 PM
Dare I ask, what excately happened in Dublin for their training session/weekend?

Went out on the drink, same happened on St Patrick's day when a few turned up drunk for training after being on the beef during the day.. Number of the panel left because of the antics and management apparently packed it in because of the antics of players but Irish news reporting McCartan hasn't left.

To be polite about it, we're a f**king shambles

Feckitt

Has any team ever conceded 10 goals in an Ulster Championship match?

Armagh18

Quote from: Feckitt on April 14, 2022, 01:44:37 PM
Worth a punt on that? Honestly wouldn't surprise me if they went out and caught Monaghan though for all that!

snoopdog

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 14, 2022, 02:06:08 PM
Worth a punt on that? Honestly wouldn't surprise me if they went out and caught Monaghan though for all that!
There I absolutely no chance of Down getting vlose to monaghan. They might pack the defence and go damage limitation but that's about it. Down are the worst team in Ulster by a long way.

imagine

Quote from: snoopdog on April 14, 2022, 03:09:41 PM
There I absolutely no chance of Down getting vlose to monaghan. They might pack the defence and go damage limitation but that's about it. Down are the worst team in Ulster by a long way.
Harsh statement.

snoopdog

Quote from: imagine on April 14, 2022, 05:58:13 PM
Harsh statement.
Unfortunately I don't think it's harsh. I've followed Down since the early 80s and I've never seen them as bad. I couldn't see Down beating any of the other lower ranked counties in Ulster.

full moon

Hard to give Down much of a shout here although Monaghan can underperform in these games were they are expected to win comfortably.

full moon

Quote from: snoopdog on April 14, 2022, 07:10:17 PM
Quote from: imagine on April 14, 2022, 05:58:13 PM
Harsh statement.
Unfortunately I don't think it's harsh. I've followed Down since the early 80s and I've never seen them as bad. I couldn't see Down beating any of the other lower ranked counties in Ulster.

Down would comfortably beat Antrim judging by the Antrim match Saturday where they were very poor.

Truth hurts

No buzz around the county about this at all

rrhf

Quote from: general_lee on April 13, 2022, 04:48:53 PM
Quote from: seafoid on April 13, 2022, 11:43:29 AM
The problem goes deeper than the manager.
Pretty embarrassing for Down. I remember reading some down posters last year saying they would consolidate their place in division 2 with relative ease and I thought the oul Down cockiness is alive and well. Is there sort of entitlement mentality within down? McCorry and Tally both chased and bringing in James for a second stint at such a late stage reeked of desperation. How many from the All Ireland club champions are on the Down panel now?
No one can take away the 60s and the 90s from Down  But there is really nothing ever in between the highs.  If wee James cant inspire the current crop then the Tailteann cup could be a blessing in disguise for them for the next few years as they rebuild out of the spotlight... It is a shame that they have let it get to this.  Conor Laverty needs given a 5 year full time role in time to rebuild from top to bottom.

seafoid

Quote from: rrhf on April 27, 2022, 11:01:06 AM
Pretty embarrassing for Down. I remember reading some down posters last year saying they would consolidate their place in division 2 with relative ease and I thought the oul Down cockiness is alive and well. Is there sort of entitlement mentality within down? McCorry and Tally both chased and bringing in James for a second stint at such a late stage reeked of desperation. How many from the All Ireland club champions are on the Down panel now?
No one can take away the 60s and the 90s from Down  But there is really nothing ever in between the highs.  If wee James cant inspire the current crop then the Tailteann cup could be a blessing in disguise for them for the next few years as they rebuild out of the spotlight... It is a shame that they have let it get to this.  Conor Laverty needs given a 5 year full time role in time to rebuild from top to bottom.
Same in Meath and Galway. Winning a provincial title doesn't mean as much as it would to other counties.

Armagh18

Quote from: seafoid on April 27, 2022, 11:57:27 AM
Same in Meath and Galway. Winning a provincial title doesn't mean as much as it would to other counties.
I'd say either one of those would be glad to win a provincial because they're miles off an All Ireland. Meath especially, how long is it from the won one? (Bar that robbery in 2010)

snoopdog

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 27, 2022, 12:02:45 PM
Quote from: seafoid on April 27, 2022, 11:57:27 AM
I'd say either one of those would be glad to win a provincial because they're miles off an All Ireland. Meath especially, how long is it from the won one? (Bar that robbery in 2010)
Both more chance of a provincial than Armagh this year. :)

yellowcard

Anything but a Monaghan win would be a big surprise but Down are going in with zero expectation and Monaghan are often more comfortable cast in the role of underdogs where their backs are to the wall. I'd expect Monaghan to win by 4 or 5 points.